Review: MecArmy SPX18: XM-L2 (U3), 1100 lumens, micro-usb-18650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
After the releases of a lot of everyday carry-lights, (that have their own looks and special features) MecArmy steps into another world by releasing the SPX-series. The SPX18 is the largest MecArmy I met until now: This tactical light can't be hidden in the palm of your hand this time; but has (as we are used of MecArmy) some interesting new features. So, let's have a look at a "big" MecArmy this time!

the MecArmy SPX18
rj36dj.jpg

a tactical member of the family
2dj6k3s.jpg

powered by a XM-L2 U3 LED
sazddc.jpg

has besides nice appearance....
1247pk5.jpg

also innovative features!
2z6sgux.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by manufacturer:

• Patented innovation tactical flashlight, with a new concept in switches that can be operated through 360 degrees in any angle
• Instant access to STROBE from ON / OFF
• Uses XM-L2 U3 LED, max output up to 1100 lumens
• Free USB rechargeable 3400 mAh 18650 battery, with Panasonic cell and built-in Micro USB connector
• Momentary ON function, one-handed operation
• Charging and fully charged indicators for USB rechargeable battery
• Standard Micro USB charging port, charges on any USB port
• Standard 1 inch body design, suitable for common gun mount
• 3 mode-design, easily changed by 360 degree push: High / Low / Med
• Specially designed tail and head for shock and impact resistance
• Detachable tactical ring and clip
• Aggressive bezel on the head for self-defense
• Optional four color filters
• Compatible with any 18650 or 2 x 16340 / 2 x CR123A battery
• Anti-roll and antiskid body design
• Reverse polarity protection prevents damage from an incorrectly inserted battery
• Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy, with HAIII hard-anodization
• IPX-8 water resistance

The technical specs:

LED: Cree XM-L2 U3
• Reflector: SMO
• Max Output: 1100 lumens
• Max Run Time: 125 h
• Max Beam Distance: 287m
• Battery: micro USB rechargeable 3400 mAh Li-ion, working voltage 3V-9V
• Length: 147.5mm/5.81in
• Head Size: 35.0mm/1.38in
• Weight: 135g/4.76oz
• Accessories: User manual, unique MecArmy rechargeable 18650 Battery, holster, lanyard, tactical ring, clip, 3 x O-rings

And the output specs:
2z5iwqx.jpg

Unboxing:

The box the SPX18 arrives in is about the same (except the dimensions) as the carton of the earlier reviewed PT16. The main colors are black and red, again we see the flip cover and the plastic hook, and though the window we have a look at the SPX18. Personally I like this "army" design. Al features are mentioned on the carton and the special are mentioned several times…. The box looks ok, although my carton was little dimpled during the shipping process. The package is complete and ready to, except one part: an USB-cable isn't delivered by. Not an issue I think because all house holdings have lot of chargers in. So, this box is (for me) ok. Take a look at some pictures below that show the carton and the contents!

a box in MecArmy house-style; main black and red color
2hp16if.jpg

a flip covers what's inside
auwr9f.jpg

the specialties of the SPX18 are mentioned several times
30hr68w.jpg

ready to go; only a USB-cable is missing
24myrmg.jpg

Impressions:

Characteristic of the brand MecArmy is that they design and produce their "own" lights, that have often unique looks and features. Personally that's what I like about the brand. Same to the SPX18: it has a nice design and appearance. The flashlight comes in military grey to (in sunshine) little purple color. The build quality is excellent done; the SPX18 has high-quality feels. Anodization is excellent done, I couldn't find any chips or defects at it. The "pineapple-texture" will ensure good grip and gives the torch also some aggressive looks. Also because of the tactical ring the SPX18 has good anti-roll design. Tail stand isn't possible at this tactical light, and for most users (I think) not needed. The strong clip is detachable and for the rest all parts are of good quality. The lens is made of thick and clean glass, and feels durable and shock resistant. The smooth reflector at my sample isn't completely clean and the XM-L2 U3 LED slight off center. So a point for improvement here. The treads run smooth while opening the SPX18, but were not greased at my light. Keep in mind to do this securely, also you need to open the light every time you have to charge the cell. Inside the tube and the cape the finishing is well done. Double springs here, the light has to be shock-resistant because of the possibility to mount it at a rifle. Summarizing we can conclude the machining of the SPX18 is well done, it feels durable. Some (little) things at the finishing could be improved. Please have a look at my impression-pictures below!

a "big" MecArmy this time…
358dkyh.jpg

the SPX18
2iv0g79.jpg

can't be hidden in the palm of your hand
ehfyh5.jpg

but is easy to carry
wtuigy.jpg

comes in typical military-grey color
9014eu.jpg

nice design and good grip
2ikcvp5.jpg

the big power button is easy to locate in the dark
2hprrqh.jpg

the SPX18 has aggressive looks
eq8ion.jpg

no tail stand, but steady standing at the head
120l829.jpg

excellent job on anodizing
a455a8.jpg

a close-up to
]the engraving and the clip
29mwp6u.jpg

clear glass and smooth reflector
2uxxxrc.jpg

a special feature: a USB-rechargeable 18650-cell!
qq51mx.jpg

so a separate charger isn't needed
1h5m5j.jpg

a lot of options to add the lanyard
29l035v.jpg

the strong clip and the nice "pineapple" texture
52jkhu.jpg

the reflector isn't completely clean
bjig74.jpg

well machined threads, but mind to grease them
2yyrzf4.jpg

a look into the tailcap
2echpvq.jpg

and into the tube
1zmcbau.jpg

charging the cell, that has and integrated indicator
2whm1kl.jpg

lights up green when fully charged
152zx2v.jpg

the SPX18 together with its tiny PT16-brother
6qd6hi.jpg

with added-on lanyard
2jbmdy1.jpg

the tactical ring protects against rolling off the table…
2mxjxft.jpg

the holster has a socket for the clicky
2jfjh5f.jpg

suited for tactical use
13zpx0i.jpg

a close-up to the head and the striking bezel
2mx2yk0.jpg

the XM-L2 U3 is slight off-center
353dukg.jpg

good point: different battery-options, runs also on 16340!
2viouw2.jpg

User interface:

Like most "tacticals", the SPX18 fits nicely in the hand, has good grip and is easy to control. The deep "pineapple" texture gives better grip while wearing gloves and the ring prevents against slipping from your hand. Good point is that the clip is removable, in some situations (for example while wearing tactical gloves) this is a better option.

The charging function is one of the special features of the SPX18: The 18650 cell has in integrated micro USB-port; so this gives the opportunity to charge the cell with your mobile device-charger. Other advantage over an USB-port at the body is that is this way of charging will secure waterproofness, because you don't need rubber covers that may come loose. The indicator at the cell informs you about the charging progress. At the light, I can't see anything that warns if the battery is low. I would like to see an indicator at the light.

The SPX18 has one, big button for all: All functions and mode are controlled by the same button. Specialty of this button is that you can control it in different ways: From above and from the side. From the side you can control the button at 360 degrees: No matter where you press / push it, it always works correctly and fine! Half press (from above) for momentary on, click for constant on and off. The SPX18 starts always at highest mode. When on, a short and soft press somewhere at the side will change mode, longer press (longer than 1 second) will give direct-strobe. Instant-strobe works also from off at the same way. A press less than two second will bring strobe until button release, a longer press brings constant-strobe mode. You can go back to the last used normal mode by tapping the switch (again from the side).

I have to admit this interface is really a nice find of MecArmy! It isn't possible with the SPX18 to make the wrong choice in a stressful situation. Highest mode and strobe al always available in a split-second. Also a good point here: The special shape of the cap (that has "cut-outs" to help you locate the button in the dark). So, for tactical users, and that's what this light is made for, this interface works fine and quick. Good job of MecArmy here!

Here is a (simple) video that shows how it works:

1. Press the clicky for on/off (starting at HIGH), and press/push anywhere besides to cycle though the modes.
2. Press/Push anywhere besides from off to activate direct-STROBE, a longer push than 2 seconds will give constant STROBE. Another press to shut to light off.

Modes:

The SPX18 has in total three normal modes, in order of: HIGH > LOW > MED. The spacing of those three output modes is good, although a real LOW-mode is missing. But this is not primary at a tactical light like this. One special mode: STROBE. This mode is an instant one, both from on and off. To LOCK-OUT the SPX18 you have to release the tailcap a little.

Size comparison:

The SPX18 shown here together with some (tactical) competitors, the Thorfire VG10 and the Klarus XT11S. The dimensions of those lights are about the same, but the emitters are different.

18650, Thorfire VG10, Klarus XT11S and MecArmy SPX18
2vv29l5.jpg

Thorfire VG10, Klarus XT11S and MecArmy SPX18
14dk1zd.jpg

x4mdxg.jpg

the heads: XM-L2, XP-L HI V3 and XM-L2 U3
16jiolj.jpg

the tails:
wkp6i0.jpg

Tint:

The SPX18 has a good tint, slightly warmer than the XP-L HI V3 of the Klarus XT11S; the Thorfire VG10's beam shows little green. Like most XM-L2 LEDS, the spill of the SPX18 has little bluish tint.

kb4pqp.jpg

Beamprofile:

The smooth reflector combined with this emitter gives the SPX18 good throw, but also a medium corona and medium spill. It isn't a full thrower. We see a "hexagonal" profile here, same like (for example) the Klarus RS11. This kind of "mixed" profiles can be used for military, law enforcement and so on. This makes the SPX18 suitable for a lot of tasks. Optical, I can't detect any defects at the beam, but looking through the camera the low and med-mode show PWM.

Beamshots:

This light has "only" three normal modes; let's see how they look by shining at a white wall. Distance to the wall about 1 meter. After that, some outdoor-shots including shoot-outs too!

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2ywsbk5.jpg

2iuduhe.jpg

14y35hh.jpg

GIF-picture:
2hpo94i.jpg

And now, some outdoor shots! Starting, as usual, by showing the three output modes here. After that, a shoot-out against the other lights we've seen earlier in this review, the Klarus XT11S and the Thorfire VG10.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
awc2tv.jpg

1zebkf9.jpg

14e8nth.jpg

GIF-picture:
2exv4a0.jpg

A shoot-out against the Thorfire VG10, that uses an equal LED, but that has less output.

the MecArmy SPX18 against the Thorfire VG10
24zku3n.jpg

The picture below shows the difference between the XM-L2 (U3) and the XP-L HI V3.

the MecArmy SPX18 against the Klarus XT11S
dgm8nc.jpg

Conclusion:

The MecArmy SPX18 is a well-built light that has an innovative interface. I like the looks and the appearance of this light. The specialty of this torch, the 360-degree-button, works fine and doesn't need a lot of practice to get used of. The SPX18 has a nice mixed beam with good color, but I guess an upgrade to a XP-L HI LED would make this light better for what it's made for. The micro-USB rechargeable cell is a nice find and will ensure waterproofness; only a readily available cell phone or tablet charger is needed. Good point that the SPX18 can run on two 16340's too.

I would like to see a SPX18 in future that has a XP-L HI LED an built-in power indication. But for those who are looking for a nice and bright light, that is also ideal for self-defense, this is a very good pick!

Thanks to MecArmy for the proper shipping!

Last edited:

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
Really impressive that they can add charge circuit on the top of 18650 battery without increasing too much the height

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great review kj75! Saw this light for sale on GG and it left me puzzled with its huge tail switch and rounded tail cap. So the UI of the switch is that it is basically a very short throw joy stick that also clicks in and out for off and on. Dont like it at all. In the dark bumping the huge switch into another mode is just to easy to happen. That is one very rough smooth reflector I would actually take the light apart and carefully hand polish it smooth. That LED is unacceptably far off center. That bizarre micro USB charge battery cell is a train wreck. From your excellent pics it looks like the recharging circuit on the end of the cell adds 5/6mm or more to the length of the cell. Will this light even take another brand protected cell? Only thing I like about this light is the awesome knurling pattern. How is the hexagonal beam profile being produced? The crenelations are just that tall? They do not look it. Well I guess I should say thanks for saving me the money this light would have cost I almost bought one.

kj75

Enlightened
Will this light even take another brand protected cell?

Yes, it will. I will add a comparison picture ASAP to some other "normal" cells.

How is the hexagonal beam profile being produced?

Because of the deep reflector in combination with the bezel. I had this issue earlier at the Klarus RS11.