【New Product】XTAR VC8 Plus Charger

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
So glad to share this VC8 plus charger released online. Based on VC8, this VC8 plus charger added a DC input port (12V 3A), can reach max output 1A x 8. With DC and type-C dual input ports, it can meet more different charging demands.

View more details on website: https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-VC8-Plus-Charger-176.html
Purchase link on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003303035530.html

XTAR VC8 PLUS.jpg

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there is the original VC8, and then this VC8+. What's the difference between these two, othen than the latter's compatibility with AC adapter?

And honestly speaking, for a multi-port charger like this, I wouldn't trust a USB connection, let alone a Type C one. How much power can such a USB connection deliver? This really depends on the USB charger's capability.

I've said before, that Xtar's charger lineup has been grossly overlapped. This really needs to be cleaned up! And in this case, with the VC8+, perhaps the original VC8 should be retired/discontinued.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the VC8 and was especially disappointed with the handling of AA/AAA batteries.
Does this new version VC8+ introduce improvements for these batteries?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the VC8 and was especially disappointed with the handling of AA/AAA batteries.
Does this new version VC8+ introduce improvements for these batteries?
I cannot answer your question, but IMHO, Xtar has been acting greedy on including NiMH charging capability on all of its LiIon charger products, even though their NiMH charging strategy is less than satisfactory.

You've tried it on the VC8 and you know it. I've tried that on the older VC2+ and didn't like it either. And neither did reviewer HKJ -- read his reviews on Xtar chargers for more detail. His VC8 review is here

I've asked Xtar to consider dropping NiMH charging compatibility and instead concentrate on the core LiIon charging part, but I don't know if they would ever listen. I also doubt the VC8+ would improve on that very aspect.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
I had already read the HKJ review.
I bought two VC2 Plus and neither of them gave me problems with the AA / AAA battery charging, it is only slow but for NimH batteries it can be acceptable.
I had problems with two VC4s instead (cable or bad cable contact)
I am satisfied with Xtar, I have a lot of their products, only problems so far only with VC8 and VC4.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
I had already read the HKJ review.
I bought two VC2 Plus and neither of them gave me problems with the AA / AAA battery charging, it is only slow but for NimH batteries it can be acceptable.
I had problems with two VC4s instead (cable or bad cable contact)
I am satisfied with Xtar, I have a lot of their products, only problems so far only with VC8 and VC4.
My problem with the VC2+ on NiMH was that
a. The batteries (white Eneloops in my case) were detected very slow;
b. Top off charge was capped at 1.45V. Not that the batteries were worn out but on the Maha C9000 these batteries could top off at 1.47-1.52V after Refresh. (Since acquiring my third C9000 I've relegated all NiMH charging routines to the C9000/Pro and nothing else.)

I have since "decommissioned" the VC2+ and given it to someone else for tries, but that was mainly due to the DC input inconvenience.

I don't have the VC4, but AFAIK it accepts only a DC input (same scenario as the VC2+) which requires a special USB-to-DC cable for connection. And besides Xtar there was no other company having made such cable.

Honestly I really think Xtar should just drop the NiMH compatibility on its charger lineup. Having such compatibility means one more thing to worry about when incorporating such charging strategy in the firmware. Like I said before, I'd rather Xtar concentrate and improve the LiIon charging strategy on its chargers, while improving the hardware's QC.

I've tried a few of Xtar's products but the ones I've kept for long are one VC2 and two (or three) VP2s. The first-gen PB2 2x18650 powerbank enclosure was also a joke, and that the internal circuit failed after 1-2 years of frequent use, so I was informed.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly 1.45V is correct for VC2.
VC4 finishes at 1.50 V

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly 1.45V is correct for VC2.
VC4 finishes at 1.50 V
You mean VC2+? (Original VC2 does not do NiMHs)
As far as NiMH termination voltage is concerned, on the Maha C9000 that varies depending on the condition of the battery concerned. Usually the range is 1.45-1.52V. Anything lower than 1.45V would mean the battery is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

Botomline: I highly doubt Xtar's NiMH charging strategy and will not use an Xtar for doing NiMHs, period

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean VC2+? (Original VC2 does not do NiMHs)
As far as NiMH termination voltage is concerned, on the Maha C9000 that varies depending on the condition of the battery concerned. Usually the range is 1.45-1.52V. Anything lower than 1.45V would mean the battery is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

Botomline: I highly doubt Xtar's NiMH charging strategy and will not use an Xtar for doing NiMHs, period
Yes, on the box it says "Xtar VC2 Plus Master"