Using an APEX headlamp as a bike light.

Brlux

Enlightened
I got Princeton Tec Apex headlamp the other day and have been more than impressed with it. While I find the 4AA battery configuration nice but a bit large so I did a Li-ion mod to it and now find it the best headlamp ever IMHO.

The 3 watt beam was so nice and bright that I was thinking it would make a great light for bicycling at night. But wearing it with a helment on wasn't working out to well so I found a damaged elastic headband to cut up. By using some of my newly aquired sewing skills I made these velcro/elastic straps so that I could attatch it to my helment. It is a great use for this light and you could work it out similarly using the original battery pack.
IMAG0244.JPG

IMAG0238.JPG

Ned-L

Enlightened
Very nice setup and sewing job! Do you use the APEX for mountain biking or road riding? Do you supplement it with a handlebar mounted light? I am especially interested in how well you think the APEX works if you are using it for mountain biking? Thanks for sharing what looks like a great, economical bike light setup.

Brlux

Enlightened
I guess I would say I will be using it for a little of bolth. I just built it tonight and I have already taken it out for a little ride. Where I live there are some sweet desert trails almost in my backyard. I felt the brightnes was more than adaquate and it was great having the light source shining wherever I looked. The only dificulty I had was a bit of dificulty judging distance which is likely tied more to the light source coming form so close to my eyes and not producing much shadow.

I have also made a strap to atatch my PT EOS to a helment in the same maner. This will make a great light for a riding partner. I have been using my EOS on the regular headband under my helment for some time now. Althought used mostly on the road and decent dirt roads. I find the Apex on luxeon low is about as bright as the EOS on high but at the same time the Apex has a larger hot spot in the beam.