G&P Scorpion Series R500(lumen) Flashlight...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=991

Its just been released... anyone has one yet? Where to get one? Any reviews?

Questions:

1) With rechargeable a Li-On battery pack, does one treat them the
same way as unprotected RCR123s? ie: never ever over discharge?

2) Li-on batteries also supposedly have minimal memory-effect, so can
it be plugged in to charge everytime its not in use even though the
battery level is still close to full capacity??

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Streamlight has seen this. Since they've had a flashlight called the Scorpion for quite a while I can't imagine they'll be too thrilled.

-LT

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find, Fusion_m8! I think there will be keen interest in this one. 500 lumens on a stock rechargeable xenon light is rare, indeed: Surefire M6 and .... and what? Pila's 12V light deliveres 500 lumens on primaries only.

I wonder what kind of beam pattern it has. The tailcap appears to be the twistie from the X-9, so I'm guessing that the cells are removable.

HighLight

Enlightened
Is this an HID light? Didn't the 10watt HID bulb that is in the UK Light Cannon or used in the HID Mag mods sold in this forum here have a frosted top similiar to the bulb in the above picture? Just wondering because that would explain the 500 lumen output...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Something is not right here. Even 500 bulb lumens seems awfully high for one battery that delivers 4.2 volts max, with a 2.2Ah capacity. Maybe 150 bulb lumens.

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think it has 2x18650 cells in it... to my eyes- this light looks to be similar in length to 4x123 bodied lights.....

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting. I searched and could find no more than the minimal info on G&P's site.

Is there a G&P dealer in the US? Like to learn more about availability and pricing.

Mark

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Considering the battery and bulb, anyone venture a guess on output. I am thinking of ordering one, if it gives as much as the wolf eyes M90X, with decent throw and beam, it may be worth $85 because of being rechargeable.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeedMoreLight said:
I am thinking of ordering one,...it may be worth $85 because of being rechargeable.
And if the body can accept a standard tactical head, you've done well. The only other source for a 2x18650 body for a Surefire P / G&P T head is
TranquillityBase, and his solution will set you back somewhat more.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: G&P Scorpion Series R5(lumen) Flashlight...

Hi Paul-

I also find this light interesting and I am a little tempted, even though I really do not need it. I think the 500 lumen rating should be taken with at least a small amount of skepticism. My modded SL Ultrastinger probably really serves the same function as this light.

You better than any of us know the history of interchangeability with G&P and others. I don't think we can count on using other heads with this light. Should be bought as it is built, I think. The mini turbo head on this light even looks different from their others.

Do you know why there are no U.S. dealers for G&P? There must be some legal issue here. Otherwise I think it would be a nice product line for a dealer here. I have never had a problem ordering from Hong Kong, but if you do, your recourse is very limited.

Mark

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing the search and posting the links!

500 lumens is way too optimistic I reckon, I'm expecting more like 200 lumens!

odp said:
$85 US, from Hong Kong.
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=GP-FL-547

$23.50 US for battery
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=GP-ACC-554B

$29.00 US for replacement lamp/bulb
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=GP-ACC-554A

However, as with all tactical gear made for airsoft, I'm quite skeptical about the 500 lumen output.