FINALLY - Some decent Infrared Illuminators!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a lot of searching and a lot of wasted money, I have finally found some Infrared LEDs for Night Vision illuminators that I'm pretty happy with, after spending a 'fortune' on a bunch of disappointments, including ones from Germany that were SUPPOSED to be amongst the most powerful available,

There are three of them that outperform most of the comparably priced German IR LEDS, and equal or even beat the really expensive ones: They are "nominally" 1 Watt, 3 Watt and 5 Watt LEDS in a "luxeon star type" physical format.

The "1Watt" is a single die emitter spec'd at 1.6V - 350ma for about .6 watt actual input. I'd estimate that the IR output on them is probably 100mw.

The 3 Watt is a triple die emitter spec'd at 1.6V - 750ma for about 1.2 watt input, and I'd estimate about 300-500 mw IR output.

The 5 Watt is a four die emitter spec'd at 1.6 - 1500ma for about 2.4 watt input on the first batch that I purchased. I'd guess these put out 700- 800 actual IR output on these. Shine these things on your face for more than a few seconds, and you can definitely feel and see a 'sunburn' (at least if you are as pale as I am) And they will definitely cause eye damage if you look at them close up and directly.

The seller now spec's them at 2500ma , but the first one I had I accidentally hit with 2.16A and it 'instaflashed' even though I had it on a massive heatsink. The seller recommends a pulsed power source... (So far, I'm just direct driving them off of various batteries with the appropriate resistor..... So, maybe the 5Watters will safely work with a pulsed supply at something closer to a true 5 watt .)

These LEDs are ~850 Nanometers... So, they are somewhat visible looking at them 'head on', and therefore not really suitable for truly covert work. For casual use, and even for serious wildlife observation , they will be fine... But if a sniper or guard has you in his sights, he will see that you have him in yours.

So Far, I've put together 5 prototype lights in modded commercial flashlight bodies with custom heatsink slugs and various optics and reflectors.
-----------------------------
The first one is a '1 Watt' LED in a Dorcy Metal Gear LED light body that originally held a 1 watt white LED. It works, but the output is not impressive to me, so I'll probably re-do it with a three watt or a five watt unit.... IN fact, I doubt that I'll order any more 1 Watters; They may be useful for some configurations, but the more powerful ones are a better buy in terms of output watts per dollar.

Anyway, here is what the Dorcy looks like:
1WdorcyA.jpg
1WdorcyB.jpg
1WdorcyC.jpg

I don't have a usable photo of this one out of my Gen 1 Night Owl night vision monocular, but you can get some idea of the output from the IR security cam video I have linked down at the bottom of the page.

This one runs off the usual 3AAA battery holder, which I re-wired to parallel rather than the normal 4.5V serial configuration and am running it off of Energizer L92 Lithium AAA primaries. The output is much better than with the regular alkaline AAAs I tried.
------------------------------

The next one is a '3 Watt' in an Ultrafire brand single 123 Lithium battery and is currently using an IMS 17mm reflector. It is OK this way, but I believe that it will 'throw' much better using a slightly modified Carclo 26.5mm - 4 degree optic, once I figure out how to space it better.
3W-123.jpg
3W123%20B.jpg
3W123%20C.jpg

I don't have a usable photo of this through the NVD either, but again you can get an idea of the output in the linked IR security cam video below.
---------------------------------------
Here is a '5 Watt" IR LED in modded Garrity 3AAA LED flashlight (originally a 5mm white LED). After a lot of experimentation with optics and reflectors, I ended up using a 20mm Carclo 6° X 25° linear optic. The regular 6° optic gives a significantly better 'throw', but with the IR security cameras and the higher resolution low light / IR camcorder I'm building, the output with the linear is more useful, I think.
Gar%205W.jpg
Gar%205WB.jpg
Gar%205WC.jpg
SmGarsm.jpg

This one runs off of some 1300mah 1/2 SubC NiMH cells.... Turns out they fit perfectly in the space of the 3AAA holder, and provide enough power to run the '5 Watt" LED, which would be somewhat a challenge for AAAs, even paralleled, like I did for the 1 watt prototype Dorcy above.

There is a photo through the NVD of this light when using the 6° round, regular optic, and the video linked at the bottom shows it using the linear.
--------------------------------------
This one is a 2D M@glight using 3X '3Watt' IR LEDS running off of 2D NiMH batteries, pulling about 2.0 amps, and using 3X 6° Carclo 20mm optics in the Carclo triple holder. I tried the whole range of 20 MM optics and it doesn't make a lot of difference in this configuration. You still get pretty decent 'flood' with the 6° and better throw.
3X3mag.jpg
3X3magB.jpg
Mag3X6degAsm.jpg

There is a photo a little below through the NVD using this illuminator, as well as in the video linked at the bottom.
-------------------------------------
And saving the most impressive for last, here is a single '5 Watt' IR LED in a 2D M@glight on 2 NiMH D cells at 1500ma, shining through a 2° Carclo 50mm mirrored optic. This has tremendous 'throw'... I don't yet know how far it will light up for the NVD; The farthest I've even tried it at so far is about 125-150 yards, and I'm pretty impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be useful to 200+, yards with a Gen 1 device, and even further for Gen 2 or higher devices.
mag5W2Deg.jpg
mag5W2DegB.jpg
mag5W2DegC.jpg
m@g2degsm.jpg

The only downside to this configuration I have found so far is that at less than 20-30 yards, it is TOO bright to be useful. It will overpower the device and just give you a greenish white flare .

Photo of this through NVD just below, and also in the security cam video a little further below.
-------------------------------------

The following photos through my Night Owl Gen 1 night vision monocular are pretty accurate representations of what my eye sees looking through the monocular. Sorry focus isn't better and I can't say they are absolutely perfect representations of reality.... The only camera I have that fits the NVD doesn't give me full manual control... But it is pretty close for the ones posted. Obviously newer generation devices will be a LOT brighter.

ambientsm.jpg

The first one is ambient light... Mostly from a streetlight up at the top of the hill, Mostly cloudy and moonless night when these photos were taken.

builtinsm.jpg

The above is using the built in illuminator, which prior to finding the ones I'm working with now, I was pretty impressed with the 'throw' of the built in one, even if the beam was more narrow than optimum.

The tree trunk and the corner of the house in about the center of the photo is just under 200 feet away.

SmGarsm.jpg

The above is the 5Watt / Garrity mod while using the 6° 'round' optic.

Mag3X6degAsm.jpg

This one is with the 3X '3 watt' 2D M@gmod through 6° Carclo Optics

m@g2degsm.jpg

This one is the '5 Watt' 2° Carclo 2D M@gmod.

With these illuminators, even the nearly useless $70.00- $80.00 Russian Gen 1 Harbor Freight NV monocular becomes fairly useful. I'm not going to bother with trying to take photos, but if you are stuck with the HF cheapie, any one of the 3 or 5 watt illuminators will make it at least better than a toy.

The following video shows the various illuminators as seen through a cheapie walmart wired security camera (color sensor during daylight, B&W at low lux.) the corner of the house in the video is about 225 feet away. There is a narrative in the video that explains which illuminator is being used, and other little bits of info. I sound like mental defective on it... (Probably because I am one) Sorry about the quality of the video and the narrative. I'll put some better stuff up in the future, hopefully.

LINK TO 10MB .WMV video file

I plan to offer some of these Illuminators for sale. In addition to the basic configurations in the prototypes above, I can offer just about any kind of configurations you might need.... Although until I get my lathe fixed, I won't be cutting any heatsinks. I have some sinks cut for C& D M@gs in stock, and might be able to adapt some to other lights, but it might be a few weeks before I can cut custom ones.

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are you going to sell complete lights or are you going to sell just the LED's? I'd be very interested in the LED's. I'm thinking KL1 with TIR optic as a host.

Last edited:

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello, your mods are very interesting but do you think is possible to use other kinds of leds that made covered infrared lighting? I own a Dipol 1 Gen. monocular but his problem is that you could see the red light of the infrared illuminator. Thanks
Giovanni

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
taro68 said:
Hello, your mods are very interesting but do you think is possible to use other kinds of leds that made covered infrared lighting? I own a Dipol 1 Gen. monocular but his problem is that you could see the red light of the infrared illuminator. Thanks
Giovanni

You need longer wavelengths if you want emissions outside the visible range. These are on the shorter side at 850nm and as Silviron said, they are visible if you know where to look.

taro68

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
You need longer wavelengths if you want emissions outside the visible range. These are on the shorter side at 850nm and as Silviron said, they are visible if you know where to look.

Wavelength nm 805, is it good for emissions outside the visible range?
Thanks

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
So are you going to sell complete lights or are you going to sell just the LED's? .....

I'm just going to be selling built lights, maybe drop in kits. The seller of the LEDs is planning on becoming a CPFer and sell them through the Dealer's section. That's one reason I started this thread before I was really ready. I didn't want all my R&D to be a complete waste because some of our other builders or modders found out about the LEDS and beat me to the punch. Until he gets around to joining and selling to everyone, I'm going to keep the source of the LEDs kind of a secret, (sorry).

taro68 said:
.... is possible to use other kinds of leds that made covered infrared lighting? .....but his problem is that you could see the red light of the infrared illuminator.

The problem is, most NVD equipment is only sensitive for a certain range of IR wavelength. While they can mostly 'see' a little beyond IR that most people can see with their eyes, the difference is pretty small.

And as the wavelength goes up, the efficiency of the illuminator to light up for the NVD or IR camera goes down. a good balance can be achieved with 890-900nm IR source, but the only LEDs in that range that I have found that are any good at all in terms of decent output, cost me ~ $60.00 each, took nearly a month to arrive, require 11-12 VDC input, were too delicate for my assembly skills and broke before they even got a valid testing.

The ones I'm using are available in 850nm ONLY.

twentysixtwo said:
That 2 degree carlco is neat - any easy place to get one (or more?)

Those Carlclo 2degree optics are AMAZING, not merely neat. ;)

A year ago I was selling the whole Carclo line here at CPF and through my LEDhacks.com site, but sales were horrible, even though my maximum markup was only 15 over wholesale. I lost a lot of money on that deal. I keep hoping that The Sandwich Shoppe or someone will start carrying them, but I guess that Wayne can't afford to tie up money in them either.....

So, as far as I am aware, there is no 'easy' source of just one or a few at a time.

One of our CPF members out of Korea was also selling them a year or so ago, but I can't even get his website to come up anymore, and it was all in korean, anyway, so not much use to non-Korean readers, even with babelfish.

taro68 said:
Wavelength nm 805, is it good for emissions outside the visible range?

No, you are going in the wrong direction... the smaller the number the more visible it is. As a continuation to my reply to you above, you need to be looking in the 920nm and above range (I think on average, most people can see anything below 900nm pretty well.) I can personally see up to about 910 nm pretty well, and even 920nm in the dark, upclose. But like I tried to say above, you have to pump out a lot of 'invisible' IR to get much range using a source in the more 'invisible' wavelengths.

I think that the military now has some 'invisible' IR illuminators that work with Gen 3 & 3+ NVD but they cost several hundred if not a few thousands of dollars each and are only moderately effective.

I'm not an expert on this subject, so take all this with 'a grain of salt'. I've never even tried any NVD better than gen 1, and have only read a little about the newest developments.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
I'm just going to be selling built lights, maybe drop in kits. The seller of the LEDs is planning on becoming a CPFer and sell them through the Dealer's section. That's one reason I started this thread before I was really ready. I didn't want all my R&D to be a complete waste because some of our other builders or modders found out about the LEDS and beat me to the punch. Until he gets around to joining and selling to everyone, I'm going to keep the source of the LEDs kind of a secret, (sorry).

No problem, I understand.

*Retired*
Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:

Yes... I looked at those, read all the specifications, then wasted a good 10 hours trying to find someone who would actually sell me some. I guess you have to be a lot more important than I am to get any, yet anyway....

That was before I found the ones I'm using now, and am quite happy with.... So, I'll leave the Osram's to someone else who has the right 'pull' to acquire them.

*Retired*
Silviron said:
Yes... I looked at those, read all the specifications, then wasted a good 10 hours trying to find someone who would actually sell me some. I guess you have to be a lot more important than I am to get any, yet anyway....

That was before I found the ones I'm using now, and am quite happy with.... So, I'll leave the Osram's to someone else who has the right 'pull' to acquire them.

For IR parts the OSRAM ones are nice and efficient. What is the beamwidth of the raw parts you are utilizing now, and how many mW/sr are they emitting, for whatever wattage part?

The OSRAM Golden Dragon is here:
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalog...0000000000207c000ed0023&act=showProductGroups

Datasheet for the IR Golden Dragon:
http://catalog.osram-os.com/media/_en/Graphics/00035832_0.pdf

As far as the military, they are starting to use alot more mid-IR, from 7,000nm to 14,000nm, which they have used for decades in Aviation, and it is picking up more and more in on the ground side. One of the nice things is humans, animals, equipment, vehicles, and such, actually emit mid-IR, so you don't need a light source, and I worked on these systems some of which allow you to see a human for 20 miles. You can also see footprints of someone that has walked by 15 minutes ago. They were used alot in airports, to detect folks with colds/flu, during the Asian flu scare. Pretty sensitive, most simple devices can see 0.1 degrees C differences. On the more expensive systems, if the target is above 20 degrees Kelvin, you can see it, since it emits "heat" that the system can see if it is above 20 degrees Kelving. Living creatures, and running machines really stand out, since the are typically warmer than their surroundings.

Unfortunately, I think the lowest cost one is about 2,300.00, but the cost has been droping rapidly with since microbolometers hit the market, and you don't have to use In/Sb super cooled arrays, which often used Stirling cycle coolers.

In mid-IR, you can see right thru fog and smoke, and alot of camoflague systems don't work all that well anymore.

During some testing, I remember watching an owl fly around at night, that was about a mile away, he kinda looked like a flaming torch at night in the system.

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I went out a bit tonight and did some more tests.... May I say that I am more impressed than I thought I'd be?.

Sorry, No photos... I tried, but just couldn't get anything that would mean anything, so you are just going to have to take my word for it (or not) for now.

I'll describe the situation, as it may be significant:

A small mountain town. A few streetlights, a few buildings within a mile, like the Post Office, Police station, a fairly big hotel and an office building that are fairly well lit up, so there is some ambient light, but nothing like in a big city.... and they are all in the opposite direction from where I was looking.

In the direction I was looking there are about 4 porch lights spread out within about 500 yards and a few more way up the hill to the left say 1000 yards or more. Didn't notice any moon.

The main 'target area' was a 'forest' about 200 yards wide of big pine trees, with two houses with porch lights on either end.

The air was really full of pollen. When those pine trees get to pollenating it gets almost like being in a fog, or in smoke. Not heavy fog or smoke, but more than a light one. Say on a scale of 1 to ten, with 1 being something just noticable, 5 being a fog thick enough to slow your driving down to half the speed limit, to ten being a smoke filled room where you can't see past an arm's length, it was about 3.0 - 3.2 tonight.

Big field out there about 1/2 mile across: Golf course, half a dozen soccer / football/ baseball fields Parking lot big enough for at least 500 cars, etc. so an unobstructed view with no interfering light sources in between.

Equipment: Older Night Owl Gen 1 NV monocular ("$150 Walmart Special"), 2.0 or 2.4 X optical magnification if I remember correctly; all the lights described in the first post except the 1 watt (why bother?).

100 yards: They all lit up the target area pretty well. certainly enough to see someone standing just in front of the trees, even in dark clothes.

200 yards: The 2D 2 degree 5Watt light was great. The two smaller lights provided some improvement over ambient, but just enough to be barely significant. Certainly nothing to brag about at this distance. The 3X 3 watt 2D was useless..... Not because it wasn't projecting enough IR.... but because there was so much pollen in the air and so much somewhat diffused 'light' through the three sources, that the whole area viewed through the NVD just kind of looked like a thick glowing green fog.

300 yards: The 2 Degree still working pretty well! much better than I expected. The two smaller lights... well, I think they made a little difference. But not enough that I can say for sure that it wasn't just my imagination and hope. the 3X3 just made green glowing fog that you couldn't see ten feet through. Starting to notice that the optical and electronic resolution of the monocular are about at the edge of their inherent abilities no matter how much light available, you couldn't tell the difference between a person and a tree trunk, even if the person was jumping up and down. (unless he had a lit flashlight or match etc.... Or maybe 'glowing' eyes like a cat or deer.).

400 yards: from the center of the target area, and about 440 yards from the corners (yes, about a quarter mile.). The 2 degree illuminator STILL made a noticable difference! I don't know that I'd want to bet my life on the use of this cheapie NVD and this illuminator at this range, but you can definitely tell the treetops are much brighter with the illuminator pointing at them than without.

The beam spread was just about the ~200 yard width of the trees at this quarter mile range.... So I guess that it is spreading more than the nominal 2 degrees.... So, consider them a pretty decent flood illuminator at much over 300 meters.

It would be interesting to try them out in a wide open desert or prarie on a clear, moonless night, and no crud in the air, or even more, in a urban area during a complete blackout... I bet that would be neat...

ANYWAY..... What I'm going to do, is set up a passaround of the prototype 2D, '"5" watt, 2 degree Carclo optic, illuminator, and let some interested people try it out.... Hopefully people with some much better Night Vision devices than mine.

I'll post a link to the Passaround thread here when I get it set up.

Maybe I'll do a passaround of a smaller unit when I get one 'perfected'..... But the performance of the "2D-2Deg" is such that I think it has the biggest ~WOW~! factor so I should probably concentrate on that format first.

Last edited:

freeze12

Enlightened
I am interested in just the LED's "depending on price" as I have security cameras & am using 5mm IF arrays that I built & work okay but these would be excellent!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
OSRAM makes some decent IR emitters:
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalog...000000200031caf00020023&act=showProductGroups

If you want a high power 850nm IR emitter in the 2.4W (1A range):
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalog...0000000000207c000ed0023&act=showProductGroups

(BTW, the Golden Dragon IR LED has been out since at least March)

You can get lenses for them here, 5 degree and 50 degree:
http://catalog.osram-os.com/catalog...00000020001a16f00250023&act=showProductGroups

OK after 3 weeks of waiting I finally got some Golden Dragons. From the spec sheet, the radiation pattern falls between the typical upper and lower bounds of the Lux I/III which means that if the die is placed in the correct focal point, it should produce a beam that is similar if not identical to the Luxeons.

(Pardon the hand-drawn upper and lower limits for the Luxeons in blue and red)

CompareOsramLumiled.jpg

Unfortunately, the packaging isn't compatible with many reflectors that are available like the IMS17, 20 (the 27mm will work) nor the McR's. However, it should work with the KL1 TIR :D which is my intended host for this mod. Max current on these is 1A as Newbie stated above and per data sheet and max power consumption is 2.4W (probably 1.8-2W typical). However, minimum radiant flux is 250mW, not too bad. It's nice to know there are at least two different sources of high power LED's. Like the LED's Silviron used above, I also expect these to have exceptional throwing abilities. Now I just need some time to play with these.

Last edited:

SnoChojoe

Newly Enlightened
Newbie question, to an old post.
Worth a shot.

Would like to find the strongest possible IR LED, probably 5 watt (I think I found a 6.5 watt) IR at 940nm.

Would like it housed in a standard flashlight container. I think with the right directions I could pull it off. But I would also be willing to pay for it.

Any help still available on this one?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie question, to an old post.
Worth a shot.

Would like to find the strongest possible IR LED, probably 5 watt (I think I found a 6.5 watt) IR at 940nm.

Would like it housed in a standard flashlight container. I think with the right directions I could pull it off. But I would also be willing to pay for it.

Any help still available on this one?

Where's the source for the 940nm?

jpb31

Newly Enlightened
so what it the out come on these lights i would love to have one that would run on 6 volts that would be in the 850nm range at 70 degree field of veiw for a nightime security camera can anybody help