Various lamps on 2 R123s - report

Delvance

Enlightened
Hello all,

Just a quick report to let people know what's going on with the various lamps CPF'ers use in their 2 x Li-ion lights. I've finally managed to obtain a sample of each and here are my observations, but first off - the lamps.
  • Digilight DRB 9V HP 1.2A draw (AKA G&P G90 High Pressure)
  • Digilight DRB 9V HP 0.8A draw (Not G&P rebranded afaiw, Digilight's own product)
  • G&P G90 Low pressure (The normal G90 ie)
  • Wolf-Eyes D26 9V (new 200 lumen model)
So here's what i see when trying each lamp out on the same set of cells and also what my lightbox apparatus sees.

Wolf-Eyes D26 9V lamp is indeed the brightest of them all (according to my eye and lightbox) and Wolf-Eyes gives this LA a rating of 200 bulb lumens. However, the colour is not as white as the other three imho. The lamp gives off a very big hotspot/blob of light and outside of the hotspot, there are visible rings/artifacts. It's more of a flood lamp, i can't imagine this one throwing too far. However, target ID with this bulb at short/medium ranges is excellent.

Digilight DRB 9V HP 1.2A* is essentially a rebranded G&P G90 HP afaiw and these are rated at 175 bulb lumens. However, there's nothing wrong with it...it manages a fairly large hotspot and it also throws quite well and has pretty big output too. My lightbox and eyes tell me the Wolf-Eyes D26 is only ever so slightly brighter. Once focused properly, this LA is a decent thrower. It's also the whitest (to my eye) of all four bulbs.

Digilight DRB 9V HP 0.8A...eeh what can i say except i'm dissappointed ? Very dissappointed ? Digilight rates this LA at 175 bulb lumens just like the 1.2A draw LA however this lamp produces nowhere near as much light as the 1.2A version. The hotspot is the smallest of all four LAs, it's whiteness seems a little less to the 1.2A LA and it doesn't throw as far as the 1.2A version either. Now i know why some people using this LA are a bit underwhelmed by it- small hotspot, ok throw, and small output. In fact, out of all four LAs, my eyes and lightbox confirms this LA to be the lowest in output, by a good margin.

G&P G90** normal (ie. not HP/high pressure). This LA draws 1.2A much like it's cousin, the HP model. The bulb lumen rating of this LA is 105, however i find this very convervative- if i had to give it a value myself, i would say ~150. It is the greatest thrower of all my lamps by a good margin (i have been able to get over 10,000 lux on two fresh R123s...fantastic for a 2 cell pocket light and a 1.25" bezel), and it creates a decent sized hotspot, the beam is almost as white as my DRB 9V HP 1.2A LA.

*This particular LA has been compared against a P90 running 3xCR123s and the DRB 9V HP 1.2A LA beat the P90 hands down.

**I assembled a pocket rocket G2 for my mate awhile utilising the G90 LA, which was purchased from lighthound. Apparently, he has a freak bulb. Somehow, his G2 with G90 on 2 R123s manages to beat my DRB 9V HP... and i mean totally clobbering it. In fact, it's putting out even more light than the WE D26 LA by far. I should probably measure the current drawn from this particular LA sometime...

Hopefully this info will help future purchases. If anyone would like anymore info on the above 4 LAs, just ask :).

Last edited:

conor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this review...Im planning on purchasing a Bulb soon as well as some batteries to make my own pocket rocket. Where did u purchase your Wolf-Eyes D26 9v lamp?

I was planning on purchasing the G90 LA from Lighthound, but now I'm thinking about getting the Wolf-Eyes LA or Digilight DRB 9V HP 1.2A*

can u link the places to purchase these bulbs?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Hey conor,

My Wolf Eyes D26 9V was purchased from Mike at PTS. The website is http://www.pts-flashlights.com/ and they ship international should you need it. Once you've created your account, you can email/PM Mike (he's on CPF too) about getting your account flagged for CPF only discounts. I can't remember his exact user name but i believe GreenLED's specials sticky thread has instructions there.

My DRB 9V-HP 1.2A was bought from http://www.blackrifles.com/catalog/index.php and once again they also ship international too, although they require you to email them vs just the checkout process of PTS. Just email Dan @ blackrifles making sure that his DRB 9V-HP are old stock (i.e. 1.2A draw LA) and you should be set. I suppose you could also try www.digilight-usa.com and emailing them specifiying you're after the older 1.2A DRB 9V-HP.

Hope this helps :), just remember, D26 for short/medium range flood and DRB 9V HP 1.2A for medium/long range throw with a generous sized hotspot.

Oh one more thing, when you're getting the batteries for your pocket rocket. Try and get some DLG 123s. So far, i havn't personally seen/used a R123 cell that can beat the DLG 123s discharge curve (they hold voltage under load really well). Unfortunately, i can't seem to find anyone selling these atm, so the next step down are "MP" 123s available from Dae at www.qualitychinagoods.com and CPF member AW in his LI-Ion sale thread over in dealer's corner. These also perform well under load.

Bryan

Enlightened
Great reviews! Were you using protected or unprotected batteries and where were they purchased? Any double clicking required?

Those reviews will really help my decision making.

Delvance

Enlightened
Hello Bryan,

The G&P G90 normal and DRB 9V HP 1.2A will not work with protected cells. The DRB 9V HP 0.8A LA has been confirmed by many members that it works. IIRC, the Wolf-Eyes D26 9V LA works on some protected 123s. Glad it can help :).

Oh, the DRB 9V-HP 0.8A does not require double clicking, and i seem to recall the reports for the Wolf-Eyes D26 9V did not either. Perhaps someone with this LA, and two protected R123s can confirm this for us ? I only use unprotected cells myself as i find that my eye really notices the drop in output and the yellowing colour just when my R123s have around ~15% juice.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience mirrors yours with the 1.2 and .8A Digilight LAs, and W-E D26. I have two of each.
IIRC, the D26 has a hair more current draw than the 1.2A Digilight. Neither of my 9V D26 LAs work with my protected rechargeables, which are of the Battery Station 750mAh variety.
I use the 1.2A Digilight LA in a SF C2-HA with MP unprotected R123s, and am very happy with it. For my use it is better than the P90, 9V D26, and .8A Digilight LAs(which I had hoped would replace my 1.2A ones, since it runs fine on protected cells) as it has a noticeably brighter spot and better throw. Not up there with my TL3, but I like the C2 better, overall, and it is enough. Like you, the D26 gets my vote for closer use due to its wider spot and bright spill.
What's sad is that so many of us wanted, and waited for, the .8A Digilights, only to be disappointed.

Delvance

Enlightened
Hey Owen,

Wow, that's interesting that your D26 is drawing a hair more than the 1.2A Digilight. One of the first things i did when i got the bulb was measure the current drawn by it...it was a steady 1.13A, although my cells weren't full charged though, they were probably around 85%.

I know what you mean on the 0.8A digilights :( I too was looking forward to longe runtime, and the whiter and brighter beam from pushing the cells less... Shame =/

cryhavok,

Glad i could help a bit!

Latest posts