HID Bicycle Light from Busch & Mueller

Martin

Enlightened
They just sent me an e-mail on their latest products as currently showing at EUROBIKE.
You won't believe it, they managed to make an HID headlamp approved for road use (according to German StVZO) !
That will say, the beam shouldn't be round but shaped in a way that evenly lights the road with some well-defined side-spill.
I doubt that I will be able to afford one (cost yet unknown), so I am looking forward to someone buying and test-driving it !

There's other cute new lights on their website, definitely worth a look.

schrenz

Enlightened
Martin said:
...HID headlamp approved for road use (according to German StVZO) !
That's a fact I can't understand, HID and StVZO can't match to my mind (?)
For all the non-Germans: In the German traffic-laws are very hard against bright bike-lights, my Marwie Elite-pro are absolutely illegal :laughing: .
Greets Jens

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting looking bike light. Sure would like to see some beamshots of this one if anyone has it. Even more so if there's a side-by-side comparison of other HID bike lights.

Enjoy!

ktronik

Enlightened
schrenz said:
For all the non-Germans: In the German traffic-laws are very hard against bright bike-lights, my Marwie Elite-pro are absolutely illegal :laughing: .
Greets Jens

Martin can help here...but

I thought most lights were illegal, because the fact that the TOP of the beam profile is not cuttoff...ie. it hits other road users in the face!!...well it makes sence not to blind the oncoming road user...

I don't think it is because of brightness...Martin??

OT: Martin your DYNO Led circuits are still going strong, Its the BEST thing I have every done w dyno's!! 14w out of a dyno bike hub blows me away everytime...now that I am using 3 s-bin V1's... it is VERY bright!!

enjoy

Ktronik

schrenz

Enlightened
Oh, brightness does matter!, There is a , I suppose , 5watt rule in the traffic laws, but a lot mountain-bikers (like me) don't care, anyhow :whistle: .

Greets Jens

ktronik

Enlightened
schrenz said:
Oh, brightness does matter!, There is a , I suppose , 5watt rule in the traffic laws, but a lot mountain-bikers (like me) don't care, anyhow :whistle: .

Greets Jens

5watts max!!! how do you LIVE???

Would you get stopped do you think?? if you had two much power??

Hey is that 5w Hid power?? :grin2:

Martin

Enlightened
When German police catches you with no light, there's a little fine. When however they catch you running a non-StVZO-light, the may charge a lot more. They don't necessarily do it, but they can.

Let's say you just crossed a red traffic light and they cought you, they'd probably be very particular about your brakes, reflectors and lights. In that case it's best to be StVZO-approved. And who doesn't cross red traffic lights.

I'm not sure if StVZO limits the max light power. I will ask B&M to visit the forum and explain it, hope they will do.

Ktronik, I really appreciate that my power conversion concept for dynamos continues life on the other side of the planet. On my new recumbent, I so far haven't bothered to install a dynamo and for the time being, I relaxed to battery powered 20W halogen.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Haha. I was running 140watts of Bosch/PIAA halogen driving lamps on my bicycle one night and caught the attention of a police cruiser but I took off up and down some stairs and through narrow passageways and lost them. So just outrun them if they come after you! ;)

Martin

Enlightened
Carbon Arc, I've asked and they've answered my e-mail today:

Dear Martin,

the "Big Bang" will be available by the end of this year. Our distributo for the US market is either Peter White Cycles
24 Hall Road
Hillsborough, NH 03244
Tel: 603 478 0900
Fax: 603 478 0902
http://www.PeterWhiteCycles.com or

OEG Products
Steve Vanderlip
1214 Nadina St.
San Mateo, CA. 94402
Phone: (650) 571-5830
Fax: (650) 571-5830
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.oegproducts.com

Kind regards
Busch & Müller KG
i.A. Karin

Tel.: 02354/915-715
Fax: 02354/915-700
Web: http://www.bumm.de

Martin

Enlightened
Today Mr.Mueller from B&M explained to me that StVZO does indeed not care about light power.
However, above a certain line, 2 Lux must not be exceeded. Just below that line, there's typically the hottest spot of the beam, unlimited intensity, reaching into the distance. Pretty much the same beam like a car headlight.

From a German forum, I collected this:
At 10m, the first production models are expected to deliver 140 - 150 Lux. Current samples are 120 Lux.
Runtime is 4.5 h, charge time 3 h.
Head diameter is 80mm (StVZO requirement). It can't be too small.
Total weight w/ LiIon battery is 400 gr.
The head doesn't get too hot, still possible to touch it.

While the "Big Bang" ist StVZO-compliant, a German cyclist must always have a working dynamo light system on the bike. An additional light is acceptable if following StVZO, but the dynamo light systems always needs to be there (unless a bike weighs less than 11kg).

Some more info I received today: The "Big Bang" will be available in Europe the beginning of November (target date). The retail price will be EUR 649. A prohibitive figure, for me. Well, if I'm the first one to ask, maybe I get a free sample..

Last edited:

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Anyone purchase one of these yet in the USA..? Sure would like to hear your feedback..

Jerry

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
outdated, brutally outdated

check for Lupine Tesla, or the DX Tesla-clone instead