COAST Focusing LED Lenser.. w/pics

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first attempt at any type of review so take it easy on me. I'm sure I'll forget something. :)

I'm aware that COAST lights are not held in very high regard here on CPF, but let me say this, I like this light! I had my doubts before buying it but once I got it home, got it out of the package and started looking it over, I felt better. My first thoughts when I took it outside the first evening was,, "Now this is a flashlight". It fits a niche that I have been looking for. The beam is what I would categorize as a wide spot. Very little light if any is lost to spill. And you always have the option to go to a wide beam with just a twist.

What I liked...
Relatively compact and light.
Fit & finish is up to par with the Fenix line I'd say.
The threading is good/clean.
Water resistant.
I have become a fan of this form-factor. I like the 3AAA cartridge idea.
You have standard batteries, can use common rechargeables and a simple charger.
It feeds approx 4.5v to the electronics to drive the light.
Potentally, has more capacity than 1 or even 2 CR123a's.
My research tells me it's Type II anodizing.
Momentary On tail clicky.
The beam quality. All the light can be focused to throw, or
can adjust focus to wide. It does a pretty nice job at it too.
Super bright! (for a non cree :)) A claimed 60 Lumens and Maximum of 3.44 Watts.

There's not much I didn't like...
The $49.97 (at Lowe's) may seem a bit steep but then again, maybe not. I like it, alot!
Let's see.... nope can't think of anything. :grin2:
edit: Well ok, it's not waterproof.

On to some pics...

dsc00467aat2.jpg

dsc00471bue7.jpg

dsc00472aaf5.jpg

dsc00441arh1.jpg

dsc00443asr2.jpg

dsc00445beo5.jpg

dsc00452aaz6.jpg

dsc00454azi9.jpg

123ash7.jpg

456zs1.jpg

567az0.jpg

I realize that this is an outdoor flashlight but it was cold and raining out. Some, well all really, are just for comparison.
All beams are aimed at the candle. Distance is 30ft. Note the spill on the door jams and ceiling....
dsc00494ava3.jpg

...And the lack of it on the first pic below.
dsc00497ass6.jpg

Just for comparison.
dsc00500aoz7.jpg

Some parting thoughts...
This is my new go-to light. It used to be my SL PP 4AA Lux, but when stepping outsde to check out the property, I've been finding out that I wanted more fill and a little less spot. I got it with this.

I won the lottery with this one cause I was able to compare the 5 or 6 lights they had on display. :laughing: There's a lever to push to test and I chose the whitest one of course. Actually, they all were pretty good. Most had a slight blue hue but this one stood out as being more neutral.

When I got it home I immediately put in the Rayovac Hybrid batteries right out of the package. I did not top them off. They registered 1.31v. I've been messing around with this light quite a bit for the last couple of days and checked the batteries again and they have only dropped .03 of a volt. Now down to 1.28v. I realize this is no true indication of current used but never the less is a good sign.

I really like this light! :thumbsup: But yes... it's not a Cree. :touche:But just as bright! :)

EDIT 6/11/07: Hmmmm.... Looks like not all the beam shots are showing up anymore. :shrug:

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
Nice job on your review! And you did take some great shots! :)

I've got this light and really like it as well. I run mine with NiMH also and it performs very well. I just bought some of those Rayovac Hybrids to try in it...

This light is definitely one of LED Lensers better ones. Its good to see there are other folks who appreciate a good light, regardless who manufactures it.

Again, a great first review!:rock:

ginaz

Enlightened
i was looking at this at lowe's today and held off due to the 50 bucks they wanted for it. looks like i may consider it again!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review...I'm tempted (but I always am).

Is that model number 7438? - It's one of the few lights that I could pick up for "American prices" in the UK.

CFU

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice ,I have a david15/coast AA light,very nicely made ,uses an optic for nice even flood and long runtime.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the aspheric lens made of glass or plastic? How big is it, dimensions? Can the head be dissasembled? Does it say it's regulated?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:
Nice review...I'm tempted (but I always am).

Is that model number 7438? - It's one of the few lights that I could pick up for "American prices" in the UK.

CFU
Yes! The complete model No. on the package is TT7438CP

AlexGT said:
Do you think it can focus a CREE led?

AlexGT
Good question for someone more enlightened than myself. Reason being is that the collimator lens (pure speculation here) plays a big part in the beam characteristics. Hence, the name "LED Lenser". The dome in the center of the lens acts/looks like a magnifying glass. You can look at the LED through it, with the light Off of course, and get a good magnifyed look at it. In fact, it doesn't show in my beam shots but the outer corona edge is squared off matching the shape of the LED, especially when focused to the spot position. Not sure how that would equate to a Cree that emits its light in a different manner.

AlexGT said:
Is the aspheric lens made of glass or plastic? How big is it, dimensions? Can the head be dissasembled? Does it say it's regulated?

Thanks!

AlexGT
The lens is made of plastic but appears thick and is approx. 1in. in diameter.

I tried to separate the head with my hands but couldn't. I would think that with a little persuasion tool, it can be done. I have no need to try it at this time.

It says nothing about regulation on the package, but does say "Lifetime Guarantee: See details inside" and there was no paperwork inside. ?? So maybe I'm missing something that had more info.
In this thread, see lightinsky's post #8 where he called COAST about it and they said it goes out of regulation in 30 min. But with what type of batteries? I think that would make a difference. I have no way to run a test.

---------------------

I wanted to thank everyone with the kind words. I wasn't sure how this was going to come out but wanted to give it a shot. I've gotten so much valuable information off CPF, (Thank you all!) I took this opportunity to try and give something back. I wasn't sure how this light would be received, and with all the Cree buzz and the recent announcement of the new Fenix P1D CE, I was hesitant. But I felt compelled though, after I had a chance to play around with it awhile and compare it to some of my other lights. I think it's a keeper and will get alot of use! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Lite_me!

I was also curious about the Hokus Focus (same light). I wont buy it personally, the price is a bit steep for me right now, but I'm interested of theese superbright small 3AAA lights, so :goodjob: .

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
I took some voltage and current measurements from my Coast focusing LED flashlight.

4.18 volts @ .54 amp is 2.2572 watts.

The 4.18 volts was measured from the battery pack with no load present.

Last edited:

ginaz

Enlightened
well, i broke down and bought one. i had a U bin that i was planning to swap in but after using it a bit i can honestly say that there is no need. it spanks my T bin raw and is a bit brighter than another U bin mod i have. i emailed coast to try and get some tech details on it but no reply yet. great light!

x2x3x2

Banned
looks pretty good and versatile, where's the cheapest place to get these online?

Dawg

Enlightened
Great review. I am going to have to get one and check it out. I understand your apprehension. I was a proponent of the Bushnell and it was met with mixed reviews and gained no popularity here. I have 2 of them and I use them all the time. Another great inexpensive light IMHO.

The Cree is the flavor of the day now, and it will be knocked on its ear next year by Lumileds and then everyone will run out for even more lights.

ChoppedBroccoli

Newly Enlightened
Any runtime info? ... very curious since its using 3aaa

Also isn't the luxeon being overdriven if its at 3.44 W peak draw (is it Luxeon III)?

ginaz

Enlightened
i ran it on NIMH batteries and it was good and bright for an hour and continued to put out usable light for another hour (equal to low on L2T). i would think it is being overdriven as it is outperforming many good lights that i have now (golston, raw etc.)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
ginaz said:
well, i broke down and bought one. i had a U bin that i was planning to swap in but after using it a bit i can honestly say that there is no need. it spanks my T bin raw and is a bit brighter than another U bin mod i have. i emailed coast to try and get some tech details on it but no reply yet. great light!
Nice to hear someone else is impressed with it. It is_ a spanker! :drool:
Please let us know whatever info you obtain. :thanks:

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened
->Lite_me

Just ordered the Hokus Focus yesterday. I was just wondering, if you still like this flashlight. Is it durable/stable and have you had any problems with it so far???

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
whc said:
->Lite_me

Just ordered the Hokus Focus yesterday. I was just wondering, if you still like this flashlight. Is it durable/stable and have you had any problems with it so far???
Do I still like this flashlight? No! I still love this flashlight. :grin2: I haven't had any issues with it to date. It's the first light I'll grab when going outside to have a look-see. My 2 SL PP 4AA's stay on the shelf. I have the new Fenix P1D CE but that is better suited for EDC and I also prefer the colliminated beam on the Coast.

Best I can tell, the Hocus Focus is the same light we have here in the U.S.A. but the Hocus Focus is advertised as 1 watt. The model we have here claims 3.44 watts MAX. I'm not sure what it is exactly but would believe it may be a severely overdriven 1 watter. Given how bright it is, it just may be. I'm not sorry I bought it though, for right now, it has the brightest & best beam of all the flashlights I own. It's a nice size too. Fits your hand real good. And the momentary On tail button works well.
I'd say it's a genuine sleeper. :bow: :thumbsup:

Let us know how you like yours when you get it.

whc

Enlightened
Thanks for your reply, I am a little worried that maybe the flashlight has an 1watt Luxeon LED, would wary much prefer a 3watt Luxeon III LED. I have send an e-mail to the manufacture "Zweibrüder", to get straighten out what kind of LED they uses in the Hokus Focus flashlight, strange they don't write stuff like that on there website.

Anyway thanks again, will get back with my opinion when I get the flashlight, I think it is just what I am looking for (some thing powerful and compact, with "normal" batteries).

By the way great review, it put me over the top, has bean looking at the flashlight, but was not convinced until I read your review. Now I cant weight to get my new toy :)

whc

Enlightened
Just got a reply from "Zweibrüder", about mow much watt the LED has in the Hokus Focus, and here is the reply I got:

The Hokus Focus is so bright because of some new designed optics and a special 1.25 W highly efficient LED. We know a lot of people suppose it must be a 3 watt LED because it is so bright…. I am very sorry but we are not allowed to tell our companies secrets, so we can not tell you who produces this LED for us. I hope you understand this.

Who produces a 1.25watt LED. Is it Luxeon, Cree, or another???

Last edited:

Latest posts