M4 Combat and E3 prototypes PICS - 56K Warning

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
CPFer's

Here is something I have been working on with a friend of mine. Two subjects here. They are the M4 Combat style light and the E series M2 light.

First the M4 Combat light. I currently use a Gladius as my primary light at work on my belt and have a SF M4 as a back up or need more horsepower light.

I love my M4 but I prefer the body style of the M3 Combat light. For the life of me I cannot understand why Surefire never put a M4 Combat to market. So getting together with one of my best friends and his wonderfully crusty machinist Dad, we have a couple of prototypes ready to be finished. These are in the raw and will be going to the anodizers hopefully in the next day or 2.

M2, M3C, M4D, M4C body
surefireprototypes001.jpg

Add some bezels
surefireprototypes002.jpg

M4D, M4C, M3C
surefireprototypes004.jpg

Tail end shot
surefireprototypes006.jpg

Bezel End Shot
surefireprototypes005.jpg

M4D and M4C
surefireprototypes003.jpg

surefireprototypes007.jpg

Next up are the E series to M2 Bezels. Well things were misunderstood by the prototype company and as a reult these are going to be redone. These do work however with a Lighthound E-C series adaptor on the end. The new prototype will be basically this body with the E-C adaptor as one piece. There may be plans for an E-M (9 volt) series body.

Here is why these came about. These are being designed for Canine and SWAT. I believe SF is one if not the best dedicated Weapon Light manufacturers out there. I do think that their weapon lights are the best out there but for certain circumstances I think they are too big (heavy). I like 9 volt for perimeter work due to the throw, however I like the size of the M600 for weight. I do not like the KL4 head though as it sucks for throw and the LU-60 just doesnt give the throw either for perimeter work.

Sooooo...the plan is to have a 3 cell (9 volt) E series body with a dedicated M2 head and run a P90/91 bulb. I am considering doing a E-M3 head also. I purposefully wanted a removable light so the mount will be a SF clamp mount (Z mount - quick release - can't remember the code off the top). This can allow the user to remove the light from their carbine when needed. I think this may be a reasonable combination for weight and throw when walking significant distances on a canine track. However the G3 with weapons mods may fit the bill also this will be for another time/discussion.

Now to the pics:

E1, E2 and E3
surefireprototypes008.jpg

Tail end shots
surefireprototypes009.jpg

closer tail end
surefireprototypes010.jpg

When I have the revised prototype, I will get pics up. Finish will Type III HA.

Now for SF Legos
surefireprototypes011.jpg

Thanks for looking

Boltgun

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn that's some nice lego.

As to why M4 was never combat, is it that hard to imagine :D? It's front heavy-a$$ and long and hard to carry in Roger's grip for an extended time.. maybe they might make it if demand is high enough, but I can't for the life of ME imagine someone cigar-gripping a 4-cell light with turbo head for more than a few minutes :laughing:

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
Damn that's some nice lego.

As to why M4 was never combat, is it that hard to imagine :D? It's front heavy-a$$ and long and hard to carry in Roger's grip for an extended time.. maybe they might make it if demand is high enough, but I can't for the life of ME imagine someone cigar-gripping a 4-cell light with turbo head for more than a few minutes :laughing:

Good point, However I have yet to only use the Rogers technique exclusively when clearing...I use a variety of techniques. I atleast like the option.

Boltgun

Is there a reason you left material on the body for a solid grip instead of machining it away to use the combat light rubber grip rings? I think it might look better if you duplicated the shape of the M3 body and used it's rubber grips.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
electromage said:
Is there a reason you left material on the body for a solid grip instead of machining it away to use the combat light rubber grip rings? I think it might look better if you duplicated the shape of the M3 body and used it's rubber grips.

Yes, since I am planning to make a bunch of these I am concerned about buying QTY of the rubber pieces. I have tried it and there is little difference when gripped. I would think it may be a bit better with the HAIII on it too.

Boltgun

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
so how much are the m4 bodys going to cost:naughty:? and will you have them in HAIII?

thanks and great job!

I will be finishing these in HAIII only. Not sure on cost...these are the prototypes and as a result they are a more expensive than a production run. I will know costs when they are finsihed.

Boltgun

BBL

Enlightened
Pretty impressive... I wish i had the means to manufacture my own flashlight-parts.

InfidelCastro

Banned
That is very cool. Are we going to see a pocket clip on the E3E?

I actually have a spare M3 head and would love to be able to use a couple of 18650's or 17650's to run an MN11 in a Combat style 4 cell body.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a lathe and a milling machine...........
That Sh*t looks sooo sweet!.....................NICE JOB!!!!

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
That is very cool. Are we going to see a pocket clip on the E3E?

I actually have a spare M3 head and would love to be able to use a couple of 18650's or 17650's to run an MN11 in a Combat style 4 cell body.

Unfortunately no, this body is going to be strickly a weapon light body with the ability to use it as a hand held in a pinch.

The M2 head or even the M3 head will be to big to allow for it also as a pocket light.

Boltgun

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
bwaites said:
Will these be bored to handle 18650 cells?

If so, I think the demand would be significantly higher!

Bill

I would likely think so..These came out at 17mm bore diameter however the final dimension will be 18mm.

Boltgun

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Wow...wow...wow that combat grip 4 cell is very nice looking. I think Leef may have to wait now until I see this in HAIII.

You should post these photo's over on the custom forum for all to see. You may get more reactions/interest there. But then again there seems to be a good amount here...lol

InfidelCastro

Banned
Boltgun said:
Unfortunately no, this body is going to be strickly a weapon light body with the ability to use it as a hand held in a pinch.

The M2 head or even the M3 head will be to big to allow for it also as a pocket light.

Boltgun

Oh, for some reason when I first read the thread it escaped my attention that it was an E-series to M head body. I thought it was just a straight 3 cell E-series body.

This is all very cool I am very interested in ALL of these bodies!!!! Definately want the rubber grip ring though on the M4 and 18650 capability. Are you going to have the knurling on the body or will it be smooth? I hope it will not be smooth!

I would love to run either a P91 or MN11 on one of those bodies with a couple of 18650's..

Last edited:

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Oh, for some reason when I first read the thread it escaped my attention that it was an E-series to M head body. I thought it was just a straight 3 cell E-series body.

This is all very cool I am very interested in ALL of these bodies!!!! Definately want the rubber grip ring though on the M4 and 18650 capability. Are you going to have the knurling on the body or will it be smooth? I hope it will not be smooth!

I would love to run either a P91 or MN11 on one of those bodies with a couple of 18650's..

Knurling will likely be there. Right now they are straight E3 bodies due to a miscommunication between me and the machinist. When correct they will be E-C 3 cell with potential of E-M 3 cell. I have to look at some mount issues to ensure that there is enough room without the bezel getting in the way.

Boltgun