...NEW Princeton Tec cycle light ....

supes

Enlightened
Very nice site and description on the product. I saw this for sale on ebay a month or two ago, and it was the 3 Lux version. Was up for like 300 bucks or something. This thing looks really cool. I don't do a lot of biking but this looks like the next best thing for bike lights. I wonder if the lumen output is really what they say. Princeton Tec always brings out good stuff.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I realize that these are not meant for commuting, but when I think LED bike light, I think commuting bike light, which is what I'm interested in.

So let's see here... no self-contained batteries, so you need an external battery pack. Also, no side visibility - huge minus for any commuting. I think one of the biggest benefit of LED's is that they are not as power-hungry as HID bike lights, and can be self-contained with the batteries, and these lights all need separate battery cases.

Just doesn't cut it for me. I love Princeton Tec, but I had higher hopes for a dedicated bike light. I'd be better off buying the EOS bike light.

:) john

jch79

LightBright said:
There's probably a little bit of side spill - whoa they are not cheap! $180, $243, and $301 !!!
I would say that the price makes sense, as Princeton Tec is Made in USA, but these are made in China, so there goes that! :(

daq

Newly Enlightened
You have to love marketing, "high, up to 113 meter range".

I just built a 3x Cree XR-E and on fresh batteries at 810 mA, I'd estimate it *might* have a range of 113 *feet*.

x2x3x2

Banned
Not to be a damper, i like PT stuff too.

But im guessing the light aint that bright since the footage was taken in night mode and still didnt look that bright? :p

jch79

x2x3x2 said:
Not to be a damper, i like PT stuff too.

But im guessing the light aint that bright since the footage was taken in night mode and still didnt look that bright? :p
Exactly... why pay HID prices for a light that won't be as bright? :shrug: I suppose the durability of the LED does have some draws, but other than that... :thinking:

Brum

Newly Enlightened
TomasCoSauce said:
This bloke has some considerable info concerning this light:
http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/2007/01/switchbacks.html

Personally, I don't care for anything that uses a proprietary rechargeable pack. AA all the way! http://www.dinottelighting.com/DiNotte_Lighting_Ultra_5.htm
This light would rock if modded with KLC-8 or SCC P4 emitter!

@Tomasco; ever considered how much AA"s you'd have to bring for a 4-6 hour trail ride? With 3 Dinottes? For commuting AA's are nich, but having a triple emitter light (I= ~1000mA) run for a few hours off AA's just isn't going to work. I really like the Switchback lights, its now a wait to which mfg is going to incorporate one of the new emitters first. Pricing is also understandable, pricing on their biggest opponent (Cateye triple/doubleshot (pro)) is about the same.

chris_m

Enlightened
jch79 said:
I realize that these are not meant for commuting, but when I think LED bike light, I think commuting bike light, which is what I'm interested in.

So you then go on to criticise it for being something it's not? There is a market for this sort of thing with external battery packs for night MTBing where a commuting light doesn't cut it - maybe it's just not for you. Maybe not HID levels of illumination, but 3 Lux 3s is actually enough for most people, with LED advantages of efficient dimming and no problem with restarting or expensive limited lifespan bulbs you get with HID. Personally I'd simply criticise it for entering an already busy market with something that's not particularly innovative, and using the old generation of LEDs when Dinotte is about to release a triple with what I believe will be Cree LEDs overdriven at 1A - now that really will compete head on with HIDs.

daq said:
You have to love marketing, "high, up to 113 meter range".

I just built a 3x Cree XR-E and on fresh batteries at 810 mA, I'd estimate it *might* have a range of 113 *feet*. Today 12:00 AM

I am wondering whether there is some problem with your light since you don't think it's any better than a 12W halogen either - one issue may be that your 810lm is only right at the start of your run given your unregulated system. My triple Cree at 700mA is a lot better than a 12W halogen, and even gives better throw than my (overvolted) 20W halogen headlight. I also measured out 100m with my bike computer and the trees at that distance were illuminated well enough to see where the trail went between them.

TomasCoSauce said:
Personally, I don't care for anything that uses a proprietary rechargeable pack.

Well I don't care for high powered lights that use AAs which result in the need to carry lots of them and change them at regular intervals. They might be just about bearable in a 5W light, but not in a 12W one like this.

jch79

chris_m said:
maybe it's just not for you.
Chris - In my above post, I made the disclaimer that I was a commuter, and then SAID that this light wasn't for me!

I wasn't criticising it for something that it's not, as you thought. Please read: The nature of my post was that, a luxeon-based light (I found specs that said it was a Lux III), with an external battery pack doesn't add up to make much sense to me... if I'd roll with an external battery pack, I'd much rather have the brightness of HID. The benefit of the low energy consumption of the LED is that they shouldn't need huge power sources, IE external battery packs. Sure, the LED's are more durable, but as well all know, the high-end HID bike lights all can take a beating. So you get reduced brightness with an increased runtime. :shrug: I suppose pick your poison!

:) john

chris_m

Enlightened
My apologies, but the point is that whilst it might not make any sense to you, there very definitely is a market for lights like this, given the sales of similar lights by Cateye, Hope and Solidlights. I have heard plenty of tales of people needing new bulbs for their HIDs - they might not break, but they do wear out - and they certainly aren't good if you want to increase your runtime by turning them off when you stop or dim on the climb.

I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of commercial Luxeon based bike lights myself - they do seem rather expensive for what you get - hence my criticism of this as a new product.

TomasCoSauce

Newly Enlightened
Why do I love AAs? Because when I ride deep into the night, 4-6 hours doesn't cut it. I can stop anywhere and buy AAs in a pinch, otherwise I just use rechargeables. I've had a lot of Randoneers agree with me.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugggghhhhhhhh..........

princeton tec is spending precious resources on cycle lights when they need to be focusing on a new cree EOS with white and red light

:D

Tidra

Enlightened
Something must be wrong with this intro clip, nobody is so stupid to ride North Shore wit that small amount of light,...