ElektroLumens Lucidus-XR2 Cree 2AA

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the ElektroLumens Lucidus-XR2 Cree 2AA.

From ElektroLumens Website,

Lucidus Torch (flashlight)

Mineral Glass lens (hardened glass, 2mm thick, impact and scratch resistant)
2AA cells.
Voltage boost/regulated.
80 lumens, 1,700+ lux

Overall length is 6.5 inches
Diameter of head: 1.211" (Smaller tactical design head)
Diameter of body: .986"
Weight with batteries: 6.8 oz.
Weight without batteries: 5.2 oz.
Run time: Up to 6 hours with hi capacity NIMH rechargables (2 hours on ordinary alkalines)
Comes standard with Cree XR-E LED.
Collimating lens focuses to a 10 degree beam.
Clicky switch, with momentary on feature.

Removable switch guard protects against accidentally turning on, and also can be used to stand the flashlight on end on a hard surface.

Available options:
IQ switch, Multi-Function Push Button Switch, with multiple power levels: 100%, 50%, 25%, strobe slow, strobe fast, blinking led in tail cap to help locate flashlight in the dark.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

dsc04103smallaa5.jpg

Uses Cree Optic.

dsc04106smallkb8.jpg

Comes with momentary and on off switch. Not a reverse clickie.

dsc04107smallfg0.jpg

dsc04108smalleo2.jpg

dsc04109smalldl3.jpg

dsc04111smallfl9.jpg

dsc04112smallbb6.jpg

dsc04113smallkl3.jpg

Installed NiteIze IQ Switch. 4 position switch, 100%, 50%, 25%, Slow Strobe, Fast Strobe.

dsc04114smallfs4.jpg

dsc04115smalldm1.jpg

The NiteIze Switch lights up!

dsc04116smallmn9.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size comparison.

Left, Lucidus 2AA. Right, Mini Maglite Icandescent

dsc04117smallcn9.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shot comparison.

Left, Lucidus. Right, Fenix P1D CE

dsc04123smallxz4.jpg

Lucidus @ 74"

dsc04118smalloi6.jpg

Lucidus @ 74" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04119smallxf1.jpg

Left, Lucidus. Right, Fenix P1D CE @ 74"

dsc04120smallrs2.jpg

Left, Lucidus. Right, Fenix P1D CE @ 74" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04121smallml3.jpg

speederino

Enlightened
My Lucidus should show up Thursday. Can't wait! It looks awesome. I was going to post a P1D-CE comparo but you beat me to it!

EDIT: how's the grip with that subtle groovy finish? It looks really nice...

Last edited:

speederino

Enlightened
It looks like the optic does the XRE justice. Is the beam as ring-free in person as your pictures? It looks a lot better than the Fenix.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree Optic helps the beam, smooths and projects the beam. It also has decent sidepill.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Lucidus.

The beam is nice and white.

The switch sits inside the tail. You won't have to worry about activating the light accidently. The light sits on it's tail with no problems. I like the multiple levels of the switch. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out the IQ Switch.

I may have to place an order for it's "big brother" the Lucidus 3AA. The 3AA is going to be much brighter than the 2AA.

It's bulit tough. It will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!

Monolith

Enlightened
The kroll switch also fits perfectly if you want a tactical switch.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monolith said:
The kroll switch also fits perfectly if you want a tactical switch.

Thanks for the idea. I forgot about the Kroll. I have a Kroll Switch I think I will try out.

pantshacker

Newly Enlightened
Wow, impressive.

The elektrolumens says, "will begin shipping by March 31, 2007." Are they shipping already or is yours a sneak peak?

speederino

Enlightened
pantshacker said:
Wow, impressive.

The elektrolumens says, "will begin shipping by March 31, 2007." Are they shipping already or is yours a sneak peak?

Wayne cut 15 or so loose just last week. His next batch is estimated to be done around 31 March.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
pantshacker said:
Wow, impressive.

I think Wayne sent out a couple of Lucidus 2AA's. I was one of the lucky one's. I was very suprised when I came home from work and saw a box sitting on my doorstep.

edumacated

Newly Enlightened
nice light, i hope to recieve mine soon too.

perhaps i misunderstood EL's description page/ thread when this came out but i really thought this came with a click-switch that also had a momentary-on feature.

so then, the switch operates more like the default switch that comes with the D-mini, as in, no way to keep the light on except for keeping the momentary-on switch depressed? because that really doesn't work for me. how can you even tailstand like a candle it if you need to keep your finger on the button?

i've probably misunderstood.

but, if this is the case, a kroll switch can be swapped into it? forgive me, i'm new here, but is the kroll switch (i know what it looks like and where to find them), is it a 'true' clicky, as in click-on, click-off? because that's more what i need in terms of functionality.

either way, nice review.

i realize you just got this today, but have you had a chance to check out runtimes yet? i plan to run this on rechargeable (2500mAh's), and am hoping for a few (3+?) hours at least.

very informative review, thanks again.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
edumacated,

The stock switch is momentary on. If you press harder the switch will click on and the light stays on. To turn off click again and the light will shut off. To bypass momentary on just press the switch harder. It works like a Maglite C or D light switch.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Ernsanada

Nice review and pics! Don't know if my eyes are wrong, but it actually looks brighter than the P1D CE? Which one would you say has the best trow?