GID planetarium in your home w/pic

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a fun project that you can do in your home. I just bought some Ultra green glow paint from GLOWinc, maybe I'll try it on a project like this. Could be fun to do with a friend so you don't get bored and can actually finish the project.

Here's a photo of the starfield in my living room.. It's not the best picture, but you get the idea. I left the UV light on to exaggerate the effect for the camera. The glow in the right corner is from the UV light, but it does show off the milky way that was airbrushed in.:
starfield001.jpg

starfield003.jpg

It's a really nice starfield that you want to show off to your guests. The artist had a projector to get the stars right, and he spent 6 hours hand painting them. I think he even used a compass to line up the constellations for N/S. He did have a special tool to apply the dots, but I never saw it, and for all I know it was just a chopstick. I think it's a special tool that applies the paint to the ceiling without it dripping down on you.

It was during the 80s, so the GID isn't very bright. And I have cracks from earthquakes or settling and I haven't painted the room yet partially because I don't want to paint over the starfield!

For the really compulsive, this could be a fun project. Here are some planetarium items on Ebay. There are different products, likely one of them will project a nice starfield to copy. Maybe someone has one that they can review?

The one drawback with the stars is that you have to charge them to show them off, but you also need to get your guest(s) to prepare for the viewing. This usually means leaving them in a dark room while the stars are charging so their eyes become dark adapted. Then you turn off all the lights and lead them into the viewing room thru the darkened house. It's kind of awkward :awman: , but the results are worth it. Another way is to go for a walk at night. When you return home, quickly turn out the lights before your guests enter.

Here's a link to the company that does this.. I think the guy in the video is actually the person who did our living room. Here's the full package.

The artists are secretive about their technique (they paid enough for it) :whistle: . My guess is that the first few hundred stars and some galaxies are accurately represented, and then the artist just goes and fills in the rest of the area with a random application of dots. When the room is done and you get to preview your new 'planetarium', the artist will take a laser pointer and point out some constellations that you recognise. There is no way to accurately verify what's there, but it all looks good.

SKYWLKR wanted some better pics, so I took some that show the texture in the ceiling to give some reference:
starfield002.jpg

Here's the same shot, no flash:
starfield003.jpg

This is a closeup of the wall.
You can see the border where the stars stop:
starfield004.jpg

The dots are small, like the size of a smilie. The larger ones are around 5cm apart. There is some spatter that results in much smaller dots. They're almost invisible, yet the eye picks them out and they look like more distant stars. Having different sized dots adds to the realism of the project.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
This is something I've always wanted to do to one of my rooms. The supplies aren't that expensive (GlowInc or one of our other GID vendors), it's the process & time that costs. Those the come to you your house want a "pretty penny" to do it.

I've been in a "Starscapes" demo room at a home show and it was fantastic! I sent the company requests for info a couple times and they will bombard you with information via email over and over and over and over and over......and over and over and over and over...did I say over and over and over and over?

Who knows how to do this and can "clue us in?

Maybe this planetarium would be a better choice?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well they would have to either do it with stencils, or some kind of projector that gives them a "paint by number" sort of spots. If it is a repeating pattern, I could also imagine a large roller that had specific screen holes that would appear somewhat random, or they might go over it several times. I cannot imagine they would have a system where someone has to individually dab each star one at a time.

I can tell you one thing though...if I ever had someone do this, I would install a hidden video camera to watch their system. You could get some idea by the materials they bring into the room.

That avalanche of emails is consistent with the rinky-dink website they have...which indicates to me that this is a very low tech operation.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good idea. They're very secretive about their process, the room was completely sealed during the session.

It's not a stencil, all the stars are individually applied. A projector is used. It's no repeating pattern, as the entire night sky is intended to be seen. The constellations are a little bit brighter so they stand out from the background stars. Since you can recognize the constellations, it really looks like the night sky, and not just a random starscape. I think the most recognized constellations are in the summer sky, like Orion and Ursa Major.

The important thing is finding the right applicator. You need a tool that will apply a small dot of paint to a ceiling without having to stop each time to dip your brush.

I'm glad I didn't email them, if I do I'll use a throwaway email address.

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the whole ceiling-starfield biz seems somewhat "scammy". I got interested in doing a starfield myself, and so I did some Google research to find out how it is done. There are several sites that promise to teach you how to do it, thereby allowing you to Make Money Fast by whipping out $500 starfields in two hours flat. And of course that leads to any number of other websites seeking that $500...

But yeah, it's not rocket science. There's two ways to do an "accurate" field. Either with a stencil, or with a projector. I'm sure those toy planetarium projectors would be totally adequate to allow you to rough in at least the brightest stars. I think the stencils would be easier in the long run since you could more easily do the ceiling one manageable chunk at a time, and you could have the lights turned on while you were doing it! A good thing IMO, when you're balancing on top of a ladder. :)

These are the "best" stencils I've found so far. 12' x 12' is a decent size, since I figure one could just "fake it" around the edges. Of course, they are spectacularly vague about the specifics. Would it kill them to mention how many stars are in the "field"? 50? 10,000? And of course, you should throw any paint they supply into the nearest trash can, and buy something decent from GlowInc.

If anybody has any experiance with that brand of stencil, I'd love to hear your reaction.

I ordered some of that new super bright green glow paint, and then decided to get a sample of their blue paint as well. The blue is barely a quarter as bright as the new green, but if it's bright enough, then it might be a more star-like color. I'll try them both out on pieces of paper stuck to the ceiling. (This will be in the initial phase where I'm attempting to gain spousal approval for the whole crazy idea.)

I'm hoping that I can "charge" the stars using one of my UV (LED) flashlights. If so, that might work pretty well since it shouldn't destroy one's nightvision as quickly as turning on the regular lights would.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stencil looks good, although a projector might be better if you are planning on extending the stars halfway down the walls, too.

I don't think it's a 5000$ scam; they're helping you start your own business; it's not multi-level marketing (ok, it might be, but you don't expect your customers to become agents) or a pyramid scheme. Plus, it's clearly stated that the artists charge around 500$/ room. For some, that might be worth paying to avoid the hassle of DIY. Others will try it themselves. Just don't make any mistakes!!!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks pretty cool! Reminds me of my room when I was a little kid and I had a bunch of those "cheesey" GID stars stuck to my ceiling :laughing:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
DaveNagy said:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the whole ceiling-starfield biz seems somewhat "scammy". I got interested in doing a starfield myself, and so I did some Google research to find out how it is done. There are several sites that promise to teach you how to do it, thereby allowing you to Make Money Fast by whipping out $500 starfields in two hours flat. And of course that leads to any number of other websites seeking that $500...

But yeah, it's not rocket science. There's two ways to do an "accurate" field. Either with a stencil, or with a projector. I'm sure those toy planetarium projectors would be totally adequate to allow you to rough in at least the brightest stars. I think the stencils would be easier in the long run since you could more easily do the ceiling one manageable chunk at a time, and you could have the lights turned on while you were doing it! A good thing IMO, when you're balancing on top of a ladder. :)

These are the "best" stencils I've found so far. 12' x 12' is a decent size, since I figure one could just "fake it" around the edges. Of course, they are spectacularly vague about the specifics. Would it kill them to mention how many stars are in the "field"? 50? 10,000? And of course, you should throw any paint they supply into the nearest trash can, and buy something decent from GlowInc.

If anybody has any experiance with that brand of stencil, I'd love to hear your reaction.

I ordered some of that new super bright green glow paint, and then decided to get a sample of their blue paint as well. The blue is barely a quarter as bright as the new green, but if it's bright enough, then it might be a more star-like color. I'll try them both out on pieces of paper stuck to the ceiling. (This will be in the initial phase where I'm attempting to gain spousal approval for the whole crazy idea.)

I'm hoping that I can "charge" the stars using one of my UV (LED) flashlights. If so, that might work pretty well since it shouldn't destroy one's nightvision as quickly as turning on the regular lights would.

Good link. OK, I ordered this one and the one from GlowInc...and I'll take some pictures of them both for comparison. Also I was thinking you could mix green & blue in different ratios to get some interesting effects. That $300 projector has color film slides that project, which probably would be interesting.

Greenlight, sorry I know you likely paid thousands of dollars for your ceiling, so it's hard not to take our criticism of that "scam-looking" website with endless clicks personally. I still say if that was a professional operation, they would not be resorting to their cheesy website design with all the lame "noob" type hooks to suck people in. Obviously this is something easy to do and teach, so they are trying to make a fast buck with their "teaching the secrets" marketing to the gullible.

When I said "Amway" I didn't mean to imply this is multi-level marketing or pyramid type scheme...rather that it has that same 'smoke and mirrors' type presentation of having to turn it into a HUGE MEGA LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER MARKETING -- BUY A 200' BOAT & FIVE VACATION HOMES opportunity.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense. My mom bought the 'art' back in the 80's. We have enjoyed it since. It seemed like a cool gimmick at the time, no one else had it.

I just found the 'scam' website last week when the subject came up. I'm not making money promoting their agenda; I'm just googling sources for CPFers to check out.

You should get some information about mixing glow paints before you do it. I'm sure it's been done before and I'm sure there is a reason it is not offered as an option.

The whole project is a fair amount of work, but I think if it is done well the results should be satisfying.

Don't forget to add a shooting star or comet somewhere. Unfortunately red glow doesn't last long, so Mars isn't much of an option. Or a special secret one.

I just painted my ceiling white, and I keep looking at it and thinking about doing this project. Maybe if one of you gets really good at it you can come over and do mine too.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
LuxLuthor said:
OK....I'll even give you a special deal. $4,500 !
Oh you want US to pay YOU? I thought it was the other way around so as to allow you to gain some experience on your way to the halls of fortune! :D

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Hm...

I started a LED, Fiber-optic 6 foot star portal dome ,but havent finished it yet. I have most of the Constelations in and a lot of the Mily way done but I have not finished it nor want to cut up my ceiling to install it...

Any one have close ups of the work done or pics of the work with a UV light and a regular light on to see the detail?

This might be a great way to get a star feild in my budget Theater.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a trippy project...

I took some photos to more clearly show my 'stars'. They're in the original post. :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
greenlight said:
Sounds like a trippy project...

I took some photos to more clearly show my 'stars'. They're in the original post. :)

Yeah that gives a much better idea. It will be interesting to see what these two sets of stencils look like.

Latest posts