Surefire L1 CREE images & beamshots E1L ADDED

EV_007

Enlightened
I liked the two stage tailcap found on the older L1, A2, L2 so much that I decided to pick up the new L1 CREE. I wanted to see how Surefire packaged this new efficient LED.

L1-package.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get in on the pre-order with OpticsHQ, which nearly my whole collection is shipped from. :thumbsup:

_new_family_complete2.jpg

The New and old SureFire L1's and the new E1L Outdoorsman for size comparison in relation to the rest of the "family" line-up.

I had the older style L1 in red to compare it to. When I first saw images of the new L1's TIR, I thought it was the wrong image. The TIR looks nothing like the redesigned one found on the latest L1 CREE. It almost appears like a smooth reflector behind a textured frosty lens. The new design increases the side spill and eliminates the squarish look of the older TIR beam profile.

L1_CREE_extreme_close_up.jpg

a_2_closeups.jpg

a_2_side_by_side.jpg

compare_bezel.jpg

_low_cree_red.jpg

Both beam profiles shot on low to illustrate brightness and beam smoothness of the newer TIR.

SF_L1.jpg

Here is the new SureFire L1 CREE along side some of the other LED based lights SureFire offers. Distance to treeline around 50 feet or so.
__L1_L2_U2_K2.jpg

Here's the SureFire L1 CREE and the Fenix P3D CREE on Turbo. The P3D CE has more side spill due to the reflector, however, the SureFire L1 CREE holds its own. Not bad for a TIR considering it only runs on ONE 123a battery.
__l1_P3D.jpg

The L0D CE running the 10440 is my favorite 1 AAA size light source thus far. It really kicks out a lot of light for its size. And of course the E2E thrown in there for fun since I'm still an incan guy at heart.

SureFire_LEDs.jpg

SureFire LEDs in the lineup.

compare.jpg

__L1_old_new.jpg

Also, the newer design with the circuit board re-orientation does give it a size savings as well.

_low_high.jpg

Low and high beams of the L1 CREE. (All white wall hunting beamshots taken just under 5 feet from the camera.)

Overall, I'm very pleased with the SureFire's offering of the CREE housed in the usual durable housing.

Here is a quick comparison to the SureFire E1L CREE Outdoorsman. Even shorter than the L1.

_L1_EL1_CREE_size.jpg

_L1_EL1_CREE_front.jpg

Front end looks identical.

_L1_EL1_CREE.jpg

Quick white wall hunting beamshots of the two lights with the L1 both on low and high. The beam of the E1L is a tad narrower and a bit dimmer than the L1 on high. Not a bad combo in such a small package. The tint photographed slightly greenish, but to the naked eye it is more white. Auto white balance for ya.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire L1 CREE images and beamshots

The Paul Kim of Surefire:twothumbs

Good to hear from you PK.

-Goatee

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

Wow, I'm honored to get a response to my post from the master himself. I surely will not refuse an email invite indeed.

Be sure to ask him what the hell SF was thinking to break intercompatibility between KX1 and KX2 heads and by rigging the KX1 not to accept li-ion voltages.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's a lotta Surefires! Looks like there's still some room for a C2 and C3 (a couple of my favorites) to be added to the family.:)

Nice to see Paul posting!

bigfoot

Enlightened

Thanks for posting the great pictures, the packaging one as well! Now I know what to look for...

Yes, I think this just might be my last flashlight purchase.

<in Borat voice>NOT!

Looking forward to the outdoors beamshots. This new L1 is destined for my hiking pack.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be sure to ask him what the hell SF was thinking to break intercompatibility between KX1 and KX2 heads and by rigging the KX1 not to accept li-ion voltages.

+1

I really want this light but don't want to mess around with primaries.

EV_007

Enlightened

Wow, that's a lotta Surefires! Looks like there's still some room for a C2 and C3 (a couple of my favorites) to be added to the family.:)

Nice to see Paul posting!

Yup, the "C" series lights I'm looking at. I like the ring for quick deployment using the Roger's technique.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened

What is that black ring around the tailcap in most of the surefire flashlights? The L1 has it as well. I dunno what it is but personally i think it makes the flashlight look like it has too many sections.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a lanyard ring. It can be removed if you wish.

What is that black ring around the tailcap in most of the surefire flashlights? The L1 has it as well. I dunno what it is but personally i think it makes the flashlight look like it has too many sections.

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened

I've had the L1 for a few days now and it is proving to be as useful as I had hoped; I like the smaller size too. Although, the runtimes are significantly less than the old version... may end up picking up another old one just for the looooooooong runtimes it has.

EV_007

Enlightened

I'm more of an incan guy than an LED, but the new L1 is kinda growing on me. shhhhhh.......
The beam is very smooth, even though it is still a bit less floody than I'd like it to be. For a TIR it does a pretty good job none the less.

I have not experienced any of the flickering or dropping out of regulation business some have been reporting. Sometimes if you don't press the switch hard enough on initial start up, it may flicker very momentarily before engaging the low mode.

The slightly warmer, non purplish tint is easier on the eyes, yet still does not render color as well as an incan. Very smooth medium spot. The angry blue/purplish overdriven look of some LEDs really bother me. I'd rather take yellowish or even slight green over purple any day.

Will be going up to friend's dark countryside tonight for some beamshots. Will post later tonight.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened

Outdoor beamshots comparing the SureFire L1 CREE to the U2 L2 K2 as well as the Fenix P3D CE and L0D CE running on 10440 and the SureFire E2E thrown in for fun since I'm still an incan guy at heart.
:D

bigfoot

Enlightened

Thank you thank you thank you. :D

Great outdoors test shots!

Illum

Flashaholic

:wow: this might be one of the few reviews to get appraisal from the master himself:drool:

EV_007, excellent beamshots!:twothumbs
what camera do you use on the profile shots?

Chao

Enlightened

Nice outdoor beamshots:twothumbs, I haven't had chance to take outdoor shots for my new L1, thanks alot, good job.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very impressive. Surefire delivers once again. :twothumbs I like the new L1's beam. Anybody know if/when the new red L1 will come out?

Latest posts