My DIY Bike Flashlight Clamp

lexina

Enlightened
Quite a number of CPFers have this bike clamp:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.792

While the design is innovative, many of us soon found out that the clamping mechanism was too fragile to be of any real practical use. The following steps show how you can combine this clamp with a common Cateye clamp to come up with a stronger and more useful generic flashlight clamp.

This is what you need:-

a Cateye HL500-II and the DX clamp

First, remove the clamping part from the base of the light:-

Next, separate the DX clamp into its 2 halves by prying off the rubber covers (a flat-blade screwdriver helps) and removing the screw. Discard the top half (shown on the left in the photo) as this is the weak link:-

Finally, connect the remaining (bottom) half of the DX clamp to the Cateye clamp using the Cateye bolt and a suitable-sized nut. The result is as follows:-

Bottom view:-

Fully assembled:-

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
Great use of resources - and super pictures and write-up. Wouldn't it have been nice if they'd made this product of a bit higher quality the first time?! I'd be willing to spring for the extra few bucks, ya know?

Martin

Enlightened
The original clamp is actually quiet good. The issue is that DX is selling a lousy version of it.
I bought one at Pearl and the bolt is NOT plastic but metal, the ratchet mechanism is more precise, the rubber inlays are protruding from their bed a little further so they actually touch the handlebar, the small M3 bolt that holds it all together does NOT drop out after a while.
The Pearl one looks very much like the DX one, so much that it's impossible to tell from a product photo.
It's just sad seeing a good product being ruined that way.

Calina

Enlightened
Quite a number of CPFers have this bike clamp:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.792

While the design is innovative, many of us soon found out that the clamping mechanism was too fragile to be of any real practical use. The following steps show how you can combine this clamp with a common Cateye clamp to come up with a stronger and more useful generic flashlight clamp.

Next, separate the DX clamp into its 2 halves by prying off the rubber covers (a flat-blade screwdriver helps) and removing the screw. Discard the top half (shown on the left in the photo) as this is the weak link:-

Looking at the pictures, it seems that if you get two DX clamps, it would be possible to discard the two top parts and to fit two bottom parts on top of each other to get a good solid clamp.

I am Right, or is this not feasible?

lexina

Enlightened
Looking at the pictures, it seems that if you get two DX clamps, it would be possible to discard the two top parts and to fit two bottom parts on top of each other to get a good solid clamp.

I am Right, or is this not feasible?

I actually prefer the rigidness of the Cateye clamp and the ability to quick-release the light but you are right. With the right sized bolt and nut, it should be possible to fit the 2 bottom halves together - good eye!

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
The original clamp is actually quiet good. The issue is that DX is selling a lousy version of it.
I bought one at Pearl and the bolt is NOT plastic but metal, the ratchet mechanism is more precise, the rubber inlays are protruding from their bed a little further so they actually touch the handlebar, the small M3 bolt that holds it all together does NOT drop out after a while.
The Pearl one looks very much like the DX one, so much that it's impossible to tell from a product photo.
It's just sad seeing a good product being ruined that way.

Good to know that there is a better (and original) version of this clamp cos' I really like the design; thanks for the link!

TrekJeff

Newly Enlightened
I plan on using a clamp I pulled off an old no-name bike that was used for the old style static shifting levers. It's simular to the more modern Pauls Thumbie shifter mounts. I'll just tap the light housing and the clamp is already pre threaded for the shifter bolt. Simple and steel. I'll post a pic once things are shaped up.:thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Lexina, once you take the clamp apart, you can replace the plastic screw and nut with metal ones. Also, I strongly suggest you fill the cavity where the screw goes with epoxy. Otherwise, the bottom (or top, in your mod) will break off).

The concept behind that clamp is awesome, but the materials are plain worthless.

lexina

Enlightened
Lexina, once you take the clamp apart, you can replace the plastic screw and nut with metal ones. Also, I strongly suggest you fill the cavity where the screw goes with epoxy. Otherwise, the bottom (or top, in your mod) will break off).

The concept behind that clamp is awesome, but the materials are plain worthless.

Thanks for the good suggestions, greenLed. I have already found some metal screws and nuts but did not think of filling with epoxy.

Last edited: