• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

First Responder Update June 2007

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by RobynS on 6-7-07, HERE.

We have been getting a lot of questions/emails regarding our new light - below are some specifications etc. I tried to upload some pictures etc, but they don't want to show up - if anybody can tell me what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

The Beta testers have been chosen and will be notified privately and will be receiving their test units by the middle of next week.

These lights will be available within the next few weeks.

Have a great evening!

Robyn

FIRST RESPONDER LED FLASHLIGHT INSTRUCTIONS

This is a high performance 9 watt output 3 LED flashlight designed for the requirements of the Military or Law Enforcement Industry. The most powerful, smallest and lightest weight combat LED flashlight available.

Features:
• Machined from Aircraft Quality Aluminum
• Small and light weight
• Epoxy sealed head
• Water and Shock resistant
• Adjustable power output
• Over 400 Lumens of light output
• 9 Different battery combinations
• Multiple grip options
• Replaceable components
• Wrist strap attachment point
• Upgradeable LED module
• Water proof tail switch
• Black hard anodized surfaces
• Unequaled light output
• Unbreakable lens
• Unique battery management system

Specifications:
• 7-1/2 Inches long
• 6-1/2 ounces with batteries (2 x CR-123A)
• 2 to 8-1/2 volt battery supply
• ½ to 9 watts adjustable output

Battery Combinations:
• 2 x AA NiMH rechargeable 1.2 volts each
• 2 x AA Alkaline primary 1.5 volts each
• 2 x AA Lithium primary 1.6 volts each
• 2 x AA Lithium primary 3.6 volts each
• 2 x AA Lithium-Ion rechargeable 3.6 volts each
• 2 x CR-123A Lithium primary 3.0 volts each
• 1 x 17650 Lithium-Ion rechargeable 3.6 volts
• 1 x 18650 Lithium-Ion rechargeable 3.6 volts
• 2 x RCR-123 Lithium-Ion rechargeable 3.6 volts each

Never mix battery chemistries or types

Battery installation:

Unscrew the battery compartment from the finned head. When using the AA size batteries remove the insulated spacer from the battery compartment. With other battery types the spacer must be inserted first before installing the battery(s). Install battery sets with the positive end toward the head. Screw the battery compartment back onto the head until it stops against the head with about 6 ounce inches of torque. Do not mix battery types, catastrophic failure of one or both batteries could occur. The battery management system will recognize battery capacity of the different types of battery sets. This limits the maximum light output through the primary inductor to prevent the overload and premature battery failure of low output capacity batteries.

Activation:

The tail switch turns the First Responder LED on or off by pushing in the back of the black rubber switch cover towards the head of the flashlight until a click is heard and then releasing. A slight push on the switch when the flashlight is off, and then releasing pressure, will momentarily cause the light to turn on and then off. This can be done rapidly to cause a strobe effect. The light output control on the head of the flashlight can be used to vary the intensity of the light from a low level of about one-half watt of power, to the maximum allowed by the type of battery set installed. This can be done with thumb pressure by rotating the control clockwise to increase or counter-clockwise to decrease light output. In the full counter-clockwise position, there will be no light output. The flashlight will still be active and using battery power, this does not turn off the flashlight.

Holds and Grips:

The design of the battery compartment allows for three different holds, depending on operational requirements. The body has been knurled to provide a medium grip with a deep groove close to the tail switch. A very aggressive knurl or other type of heavy grooving or ribs may hinder removal of the flashlight from a pouch or holster, and can be painful to hold onto for very long periods of time. Either the forefinger or the pinky finger naturally falls into the deep groove and provides sufficient grip to prevent movement.

The first hold is a four finger grip with the thumb on the light output control. This is the way that most flashlights are held in normal situations. The thumb can then adjust the light output and the flashlight can be turned off or on by striking the tail switch against the breast plate of the bullet proof vest.

The second hold is also a four finger wrap but in this case the thumb is in position to activate the tail switch. This can use the Harries combat handgun hold, (crossed wrist), the Neck Index position or the FBI position. It is recommended that the light output control be always left in the maximum power position when carried in a duty belt or holster.

The third hold is the split finger combat grip, sometimes referred to as a Rogers hold or by other names. This is done by using the deep groove near the tail switch, and placing the groove between the forefinger and the middle finger. The tail switch is activated by the heel of the palm at the base of the thumb. The Coast Guard search hold also uses this method.

Wrist Strap Attachment Point:

A stainless steel ring has been provided on the head opposite the light output control for attaching a wrist strap. This allows the flashlight to hang free when not needed but be in a position to be used instantly. The position has been designed so that by quickly moving the hand upwards to the shoulder area the flashlight will automatically fall into an open hand. The tail switch can then be activated with the thumb for Neck Index or the FBI position holds and the crossed wrist Harries handgun technique.

Power Output and Batteries:

With most high power LED flashlights, special expensive and unique batteries must be used. And some do not have replaceable batteries, once depleted the flashlight is out of service until the battery is recharged. The First Responder LED flashlight has been designed to use common low cost batteries. Maximum output of up to nine watts of power is generated with a battery set that has a total of 7.2 volts. We recommend the use of a pair of RCR-123 rechargeable Lithium-Ion 3.6 volt batteries. These are common high performance low cost units with very good power output capability. The battery charger for the RCR-123 batteries will work in either a car or a 120 volt AC wall outlet. The First Responder will operate at a reduced light output level of 2 watts with inexpensive 1-1/2 volt Alkaline AA size batteries. 2-1/2 watts with a single 3.6 volt Lithium-Ion battery and 7 watts with two 3 volt CR-123 Lithium batteries.
Most applications do not require maximum output power and the output control may be adjusted to ¼ of full power or less to extend battery run time. At a setting of ½ power, the First Responder produces more light than single LED completive flashlights at full power. Because of the small physical size of the First Responder LED flashlight and very high watt output, heat generated can become excessive. It is recommended that the maximum output of 9 watts be limited to 15 consecutive minutes, 7 watts or less continuous. An optional finned heat sink extension will be available for retrofit between the LED module and the electronics compartment. This will extend the length of the flashlight by one inch for longer maximum power applications.

Upgradeable and replacement parts:

The design of the First Responder LED flashlight allows for upgrading the LED module to the latest advancement of LED technology as it becomes available. This insures that the First Responder always remains as bright as the latest flashlight without having to purchase a new one. Other component parts are replaceable including the plastic lens, led reflectors, battery compartment, tail switch and the anodized parts shown below if damaged.

The Law Enforcement Special First Responder LED flashlight has been designed for ease of maintenance and versatility. The First Responder is made with only the best materials and electronics for unequaled reliability. With the LEDs and electronics sealed in epoxy the flashlight is both water and shock resistant to the rugged conditions of field duty operations. With the ability to use different inexpensive common battery types and a variable light output, the First Responder can keep working when others have exhausted their special expensive batteries.

In a side-by-side comparison with a well known competitive 225 Lumen output incandescent bulb flashlight powered with 3 CR-123A batteries, the 3 LED 9 watt First Responder with 2 CR-123A batteries produced twice the light output with 3 to 4 times the side spill and ran for three times longer. The beam quality of the First responder was superior with no rings or other visible beam artifacts, and with a brighter and wider center hot spot and a clean white output color. At 200 feet the First Responder will light up the area between two houses close to daylight conditions.

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

BrightIdeaOSU06-07-2007 05:03 PM
Re: First Responder Update June 2007

Sweet! Sounds like a very nice piece of equipment. As for posting images, how about using imageshack and posting a link? Just go to www.imageshack.us and choose the file with the "Choose" button on the start page. Then simply choose the image file; make sure it is a .jpg rather than a raw image.

I'm sold on this light, sight unseen. Good luck!

Grubbster06-07-2007 05:48 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

This looks fantastic Robyn! I assume the brightness control is something like a rheostat with no click type detents between settings? I know you probably won't answer this, but do you have a price range so I can start saving my pennies?

vic236706-08-2007 12:21 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

cant wait for the pics,,,by the way is the lens glass or plastic ? im also gonna start saving some money,,

vic236706-08-2007 12:27 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

ops found my answer to one of my questions ,,,sorry,,,

RobynS06-08-2007 04:04 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbster (Post 2031202)
This looks fantastic Robyn! I assume the brightness control is something like a rheostat with no click type detents between settings? I know you probably won't answer this, but do you have a price range so I can start saving my pennies?

Hi Grubbster,

The brightness controller is theoretically a rheostat, but a rheostat is normally associated with the control of power, where a "potentiometer" is associated with controlling an electronic circuit. The price for this model (without batteries) has been set at $195.95. A price list with accessories etc will be available shortly.

Have a great weekend!

Robyn

Grubbster06-08-2007 08:38 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Thanks for the reply Robyn. Savings fund started.:twothumbs

Rob18706-10-2007 12:08 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Pictures please and or website update.
Sounds awesome - what a versatile light.
Can't wait.

AFAustin06-10-2007 12:32 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Robyn,

Thanks for the update. I'm very much looking forward to the photos.

A CPF "pre-order discount" or other CPF special would be great if you can swing it. :popcorn:

UncleFester06-10-2007 09:44 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Wow Robyn, you've got me drooling :drool:
This sounds like an incredible light. It's clear that a lot of effort went into its creation. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

westfork06-10-2007 01:10 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Robyn,
Sounds great! Can't wait until these become available.
Lloyd

skalomax06-10-2007 05:26 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Sounds great.

I'm dying to see the pictures :faint:

vic236706-10-2007 07:16 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

same here,,

PhantomPhoton06-11-2007 02:53 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Yes, yes pictures would be welcomed.

67qbqt1.gif

Pretty much to post pics you just need to point the forum at the right place. The picture above I uploaded to tinypic.com and they provided the
"http://i11.tinypic.com/67qbqt1.gif"
for me to point at.
Then I just put an
at the back to let CPF know that between the two is where to find the pic.

Get crackin'
54bw0ld.gif

I will definitely save a spot in my budget for one of these lights. A nod to CPFers can never hurt either. We may be obnoxious and fickle when it comes to our demands, but we usually can't resist going further into debt when a new quality light comes to the market.

Oh and get some more info up on the peak website, or get us some better details (especially updated specs with the SSC lights) in a catalog or something.

springbok06-11-2007 08:57 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

:popcorn:

Russianesq06-11-2007 07:20 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Pics Please ... in the meantime :banghead:

vic236706-11-2007 08:04 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

guess no pics yet,,:whistle:

DallasA06-12-2007 09:24 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2367 (Post 2032324)
guess no pics yet,,:whistle:

I figured I would help you guys out. Robyn and Curt were very nice to let me play with one. I am having a blast with it. If I get sometime tonight I will take some picture of this bad boy in action.

Hope this helps for now!

MJ

http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FIRST_RESPONDER_1.JPG
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FIRST_RESPONDER_2.JPG
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FIRST_RESPONDER_3.JPG
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FIRST_RESPONDER_4.JPG

Robyn,

Hope you don't mind figured I would help you out!

M

RobynS06-12-2007 10:08 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasA (Post 2032480)
I figured I would help you guys out. Robyn and Curt were very nice to let me play with one. I am having a blast with it. If I get sometime tonight I will take some picture of this bad boy in action.

Hope this helps for now!

MJ

Robyn,

M

MJ,

Thanks - I was just getting ready to call and ask you to do this for me - as usual you beat me - Thanks again!! Robyn S

AFAustin06-12-2007 11:27 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Thanks, MJ, and great to hear from you!

Grubbster06-12-2007 11:29 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
M

Me like! Is this a prototype or the actual model? Just wondering if the silver knob will be that size and that silver. Will it use the kroll switch or one developed there? Can't wait for these to be available!

BentHeadTX06-12-2007 12:26 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

The Volcano in the flesh...err, pixals.
That is a serious looking light with a very "grippy" barrel. Is that a Kroll tailswitch that is modified for the high current 9 watt output or just the beta switch? If a heavy-duty switch is available, it will fit my Mediterraneans and make them even better.
What RCR123 lithium-ion cells do you recommend that can withstand the 9 watt draw from the pair of cells? Could one of those A123 Systems M1 cells fit inside the barrel?
Can't wait until MJ posts some night shots of what the triple SSC light can do. The design looks good and the features make it even better. The optional heat sink extension would be great for those that illuminate things in the desert. :thumbsup:

vic236706-12-2007 04:50 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

that silver knob does look kinda big,,,i like the light though,,,

BrightIdeaOSU06-12-2007 08:08 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I kinda like the size of the knob, 'cause it would be nice to be able to adjust the light with gloves on. I would kinda like that part to be anodized, but I suspect that will be the case in the final product. Whatever. When can we order? :poke:

AFAustin06-12-2007 09:40 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

It's nice looking, but you need to do something about that huge knob---reminds me of the bolts sticking out of Frankenstein's neck. :eek:

LED_Thrift06-13-2007 07:07 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFAustin (Post 2032727)
It's nice looking, but you need to do something about that huge knob...

The knob may look too large, but let's not diminish function just for looks. This size will make it easier to actually USE, especially with gloves on or with cold and/or wet hands. Function is king! Besides, when you are using this light it will be the huge OUTPUT that will be noticed, not the size of the knob.

lowatts06-13-2007 09:53 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

The large knob is easier to use (though I'd like a collar like the U2), but I'm a little concerned about its shaft getting bent on accidental hits.

BrightIdeaOSU06-13-2007 02:47 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Robyn, did you guys do that lovely red anodize on the Rainier CPF special lights a few years back in house? If so, that silver knob would look very nice in that color, and it would highlight the knob for easier use without it being so reflective. Such a small part would be relatively (to a body section) cheap to anodize in a color (lots in the tank at once) and it would set the light apart. This is, of course, assuming it is made of Aluminum, if it is steel then it's just fine. :grin2:

easilyled06-14-2007 08:46 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I assume that if this light is rated at 400 lumens, that the leds in the module
must be Seouls or Crees although I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Can this be confirmed?

RobynS06-14-2007 08:52 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyled (Post 2033289)
I assume that if this light is rated at 400 lumens, that the leds in the module
must be Seouls or Crees although I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Can this be confirmed?

We are using the Seoul P4's in all of our lights now (except for the lights that use the 5mm LED's).

Robyn

BentHeadTX06-14-2007 09:35 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED_Thrift (Post 2032844)
The knob may look too large, but let's not diminish function just for looks. This size will make it easier to actually USE, especially with gloves on or with cold and/or wet hands. Function is king! Besides, when you are using this light it will be the huge OUTPUT that will be noticed, not the size of the knob.

Good point,
The light pictured is a Beta so the knob and final machining can change. Take a close look at the picture of the knob and you'll see the hole that holds the screw that attaches the knob to the shaft. Don't like the knob? Easily changed to a smaller, lighter, plastic, aluminum or titanium knob or dial. Maybe add a large fin near the knob to protect it when dropped would help which aids to prevent pressure against the knob shaft when worn with a loop holster.
The beauty of beta is to test it and make changes to perfect the light before production. The light looks very good for a beta so things will get better. The other thing is that Peak has accurately given a decent estimate of 400 lumens from the light. I can see three SSC P4 U LEDs getting with around 8 watts producing 400 lumens with no problem.

vic236706-14-2007 03:34 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

im liking this light

DallasA06-14-2007 10:59 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynS (Post 2032493)
MJ,

Thanks - I was just getting ready to call and ask you to do this for me - as usual you beat me - Thanks again!! Robyn S

Not a prob, you know I am always here for you!

OK, here is some updates guys, I finally had a little time tonight.

1)

Here is two picture of the front of my house. One with the flash and one without at about 60' feet. Keep in mind all of these pictures are on "AUTO SET". I am not really good with shutter speed.

If someone can tell me what I should set the shutter speed at 100 yards and 150 yards. I can set up the camra on a tripod and get photos of the houses across the woods in the back. One of the house you cant not see the detail by the naked eye vary well but with the light at full power it is amazing how much detail you see.

Notes for photos:
The light lit up the house at 60' the photo does not show it vary well

http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...lash_house.JPG
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...ight_house.JPG

Next photos:

Here is my remodel job I am working on in the house. There is no other lighting on in the house. These show great detail and brightness and shows how much brighter then it is with the flash on the camra.

Close up on rock is at 20' and the hallway to rock is 45'

20'
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI..._20ft_Rock.JPG

45' Flash Only
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...45ft_flash.JPG

45'
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...45ft_Hall2.JPG
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...45ft_hall3.JPG

OK my openions:

I agree on the knob (keep in mind I am playing with a prototype) however after using it for sometime I can see why it is designed the way it is. However, here is my 2 cents anyway.

If people can get use to using one hand to turn it, take it down flush and anodize it. little big for my taste. But I like the idea of a knob rather then having to mess with adjusting buttons.

I like the bezel, the Head could use a little more of a creative look to it.

The battery options rocks!

Have a Great Night!

MJ
http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...SPONDER_MJ.JPG

Mockingbird06-15-2007 05:21 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I think it would look better if you traded places with the switches. Put the knob on the tail end like the knob of a baseball bat and put the push button near the head.

BrightIdeaOSU06-16-2007 11:07 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I think that putting the pentiometer on the tail would be nearly impossible; it needs to be rooted in the power regulation circuitry, which simply has to be in the head of the light for reasons of construction simplicity and energetic efficiency. I just want the knob to be less shiny, and perhaps a little shorter to protect it from impact. That's all. :) Oh, and I want it in my hands, that too!

http://peakledsolutions.net/Proto/FI...SPONDER_MJ.JPG

Sneaky, MJ. It's nice to finally put a face to the name. :wave:

LED Zeppelin06-17-2007 12:11 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasA (Post 2033573)
If people can get use to using one hand to turn it, take it down flush and anodize it. little big for my taste. But I like the idea of a knob rather then having to mess with adjusting buttons.

I agree. Taking the knob down flush with the head will make it less likely that a bump would change the setting inadvertantly. I imagine using it by rotating the knob with my thumb, not grabbing it from the top. With the aggressive knurling and size, it looks easy easy enough to do with anything but welding gloves.

cave dave06-24-2007 06:44 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I say get rid of the kroll altogether and put an off on the knob. The Krolls were notoriously bad.

Lebkuecher06-24-2007 08:03 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave dave (Post 2037147)
I say get rid of the kroll altogether and put an off on the knob.

I like this idea for causal use, I personally prefer a light to be as small as possible and maybe this could be a future option.

I'm not sure how making this change would play out for the intended market. My first thought is in a tactical situation it would be much quicker to activate the light having the switch on the back. Additionally in the winter wearing gloves I could see having additional problems activating the light quickly if you only had the knob to work with. Maybe a police officer with experience could comment on this.

BTW When I visited Peak I had a chance to play with this light and I was very impressed. Very bright and a sold feel of quality. :thumbsup:

RobynS07-06-2007 01:20 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Peak LED Solutions
6 July, 2007

Peak LED Solutions is announcing the limited availability of the variable output 3 LED 9 Watt First Responder Law Enforcement Special flashlight. This flashlight was designed for military and law enforcement officers as a main duty light. It is currently in combination; the smallest, lightest weight, powerful and versatile commercial flashlight available. It can use without modification 9 different battery combinations from AA to 18650 sizes, and all battery chemistries.

Options in development include AA battery extension tubes, heat sink extension for extended maximum run time use, bicycle mounts, helmet mounts and rifle barrel mounts.

The First Responder price does not come with batteries or charger, they must be purchased separately

• 3 LED 9 Watt Combat case style flashlight $195.95
• 2 x CR123 to 18650 pocket battery case $25.00
• 3 LED Module with P4 LEDs $55.00
• Bare LED module $15.00
• Traffic Cone White $15.00
• Traffic Cone Amber $15.00
• Traffic Cone Orange $15.00
• Combat case switch $5.00
• SS switch for pocket case $10.00
• Extension Heat Sink $25.00
• AA battery tube extension $10.00
• RCR123 Li-Ion battery 3.6 volt $9.00
• Li-Ion battery charger $15.00

Professional discount: Flashlights only, does not apply to accessories

Requirements: Law Enforcement Officers, Active Duty Military, Security Officers, Firefighters, EMTs

APO or FPO address or Department Letterhead

• Quantity 1 to 10 any combinations of flashlights deduct 10%
• Quantity 11 to 50 any combinations of flashlights deduct 15%
• Quantity 51 to 250 any combinations of flashlights deduct 20%

This will be available on our website within the next few days - if you would like to reserve one of these lights, send me an email to [email protected] - this limited quantity will be on a first come first served basis.

Have a great weekend!!

Robyn

dano07-06-2007 06:46 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

The design has a few issues, from my LEO perspective:

--Make it too difficult to use, and Officers probably won't use it (the knob)
--Has anyone thought about how the light will be carried? The body milling, knob and head size will limit carry possibilities

--dan

Greta

Flashaholic
More Copied Replies:

ernsanada07-06-2007 07:15 PM
Re: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:

Hope this helps for now!

MJ

Robyn,

M

You just need the tags,
in the back.

FIRST_RESPONDER_1.JPG

FIRST_RESPONDER_2.JPG

FIRST_RESPONDER_3.JPG

FIRST_RESPONDER_4.JPG

arleta07-07-2007 08:59 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Flashlight Specification are Excellent piece of Techonology. But...
IMO: Need a few body Re-design since it's for Professional use.

Flashlight Head : it's probably the first thing will hit the floor if accidently drop. May be need a replacement or slip on Rubber ring around the head rim. Head is a little to big and ugly, Cone shape may be nice like (sure fire)
Flashlight Body : interchangle body but feel like one piece design.
Adjustable light Power : Look bad !!! May be a adjustable ring around body or head instead (like camera Zoom ring) either continuous or stepping at each turn with power setting number mark also need to be a larger ring for one hand operating.

GMoney07-10-2007 12:03 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Robyn,

Any reason why the light can't also take two rechargeable 18500 cells (width of a CR123 and the length of a AA)?

Oh and Happy Birthday!:party:

Grubbster07-10-2007 01:51 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

The body tube narrows at the switch end to about 14mm so the 18500 cells would not work. Two 14500 cells will, but I have not gotten very good performance from them. I don't know if they are old cells or the current draw is just too high for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoney (Post 2042233)
Robyn,

Any reason why the light can't also take two rechargeable 18500 cells (width of a CR123 and the length of a AA)?

Oh and Happy Birthday!:party:

ernsanada07-10-2007 08:35 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbster (Post 2042277)
The body tube narrows at the switch end to about 14mm so the 18500 cells would not work. Two 14500 cells will, but I have not gotten very good performance from them. I don't know if they are old cells or the current draw is just too high for them.

Do you have the First Responder?

What are your impressions of the light?

Grubbster07-11-2007 04:35 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernsanada (Post 2042417)
Do you have the First Responder?

What are your impressions of the light?

Hi ernsanada, yes I do. I have had one for almost two weeks now and have played with it some, but not extensively yet.
My first impressions are that it, like all Peak lights, is very well thought out and put together. It gives a distinct impression of quality when it is held. Fit and finish is first class. The only suggestions I would have for improvement would be to somehow "fix" the reflectors to keep them from moving around when the light is dropped. This was noted by robocop in a post above. It is a very minor thing because they can easily be readjusted by removing the window and realigning. The other change would be to adjust the potentiometer range so when it is all the way down it would still put out a very low level of light with a 18650 or 2x123 batteries. The way it is, it will only put out light with the voltage from two lithium ion batteries like RCR123s. Again, not a huge issue. I would also love to see a glass window available for it, but I understand and totally support the reasons they use plastic. I am not the target person this light is designed for.
The are several things I love about the light. First is its power versatility. I love the fact that it can take 9 different battery sizes and chemistries. When they finish the new AA battery extenders and 18650/2x123 tubes it will have even more possibilities. You will be able to shorten the light by about 1 1/2 inches and use a 18650, or lengthen the tube and use up to 6 (I think) AA batteries! Another thing I like about this light is the output. There is a significant hotspot with good throw as well as an enormous amount of spill. It will light up my whole back yard. Another thing is its modularity. Along with the additional battery tube configurations, it is designed to be easily upgraded with new circuits, body parts, light cones, cooling fins, bezels, and best of all, the LEDs are easily upgradeable so you can put different colors or higher power when they are available. They sell the blank boards to mount them to.
In summary, even though I am not the target audience of this light (robocop is and is doing a wonderful job in his reviews :twothumbs) it is a very useful light for the average person and every bit as "quality" as surefire. I have owned a U2 in the past and I like this light much better. Even though it is a little bigger, it is much more versatile, brighter, cheaper than the U2. It currently sits either on my nightstand or in my safe next to my Glock and is my designated "go to" light.

ernsanada07-11-2007 08:16 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Grubbster,

Thanks for the review!

I hope Peak will do some changes to the light as you suggested.

I am also interested in one First Responder.

KEW07-13-2007 09:02 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I have one of these lights and I must say it is fantastic. The light output is amazing! Any complaints I have about the light are inappreciable at best. Yes, it would be great if there were a smaller version. But for the target audience, which is me. The light works. It rides on my duty belt with no problems. It is well built, well thought out, it preforms, and it is very versatile. I think it is going to be a home run.

BrightIdeaOSU07-17-2007 07:32 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Recieved my First Responder (Or, as is written on the barrel, the "Law Enforcement Special") and it is very impressive. On low with CR123 batteries it is almost too bright to read with, but it serves. However, on high! It lights up the whole woods, as far as I can see in any clearing. Cats and deer stand frozen in awe, and I could walk right up to them as if they are completely hypnotized. Everywhere I pointed it, dogs started barking.

It was cool! :eek: Can't wait to try it with rechargeables.

There was a small addition from these shots, and I'll send in a pic tomorrow if I can. It has a shroud around the Kroll switch that protects it from lateral impacts, and makes it less likely to turn on accidentally. It's friction fit, and made of the same super hard plastic as their tube caps and lantern caps for the Pacific, and it's design bears more than a passing resemblance to the head of said flashlight. It is dyed a deep black, and unless you look closely it is indistinguishable from the anodize color; good matching! In fact, it looks sharp, and I think it completes the design.

My night walk was interrupted by rain, but I'll write a complete review once I have tried it out with different batteries.

BrightIdeaOSU07-18-2007 05:17 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I've now tried it out with RCR123's (AW's new black and silver cells), and the LEOSpecial works even better; :grin2: low is lower, and high is higher. Further, the whole range of the pentiometer is used. I've also noticed that the bezel is also made of the same super hard plastic that the tail shroud is made of; this seems to me to be a smart choice, because the bezel ring on most flashlights is vulnerable to impacts denting the metal, and damaging the threads inside, perhaps even sealing the light.

First pic, my Peak family, from my car, my pack and my winter coat. The glo-rings and wii-mote strap aren't standard, of course.
29hjwb

Second is the family resemblance across the product line.
yu53lu

Can't wait to check out how bright it is outside, barring another thunderstorm, of course.

lowatts08-01-2007 08:45 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Anyone has any updates on this interesting light? I can't seem to find it on the Peak LED web site yet.

lyyyghtmaster08-01-2007 11:43 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been waiting for a reply I was promised about two weeks ago to a couple questions I had, like what the dimming mode might be. :confused: It seems like an Awesome light already, but maybe they're busy ironing out some bugs or polishing the design a bit more. :twothumbs (Like maybe making the minimum brightness level extend down a bit below 1/2 watt? :naughty:

Robocop08-03-2007 02:08 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

My first term impressions of this light can be read in the thread linked below:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=166500

As far as my longterm impressions I will say this light suprised me very much. I admittedly was not a huge fan of a Luxeon for a main duty light however have slowly came to realize that maybe it is possible. The output and brute force of this light is incredible.....mainly in the spill beam. I have been very impressed with the lights ability to illuminate a large area and at times it has came in very handy in searches of large areas.

I believe much of my suprise has to do with the emitters used as I have not had a light using the type of emitters in this light before. The tint is very nice and the output again has to be seen to be believed. It throws a huge spot a very long way and never stops making that incredible spill beam.

Thus far the lights durability has not been an issue with several drops and scrapes having no effect on performance. I very much do like my Wolf-Eyes Raider as my current duty light however have shattered several glass lenses with drops from waist high....not a factor in the Peak.

I very much like the versatility of the design and the first real negative I noticed was that the light will kill a set of rechargeable 123 cells if they are not protected. It seems to have a built in strobe when the cells get low warning to replace the batteries. This is a great feature however if using two R123 cells by the time the strobe warning is activated your cells have went way past their rated discharge. I believe it is a good practice to only use protected Li-Ion cells in this light.

The odd thing is that when I first saw the large dimming knob I did not like the "look". After some real world usage on patrol I actually found the larger knob very useful. Once on a traffic stop I used the light to illuminate a car full of suspects while on high mode. After securing all the persons inside I had to make a quick search of the interior for weapons and noticed the high mode was way too much creating a wash-out effect.....a quick twist with my thumb only dropped the level of light and I never had to lose my grip on the light nor did I have to take off my duty gloves......very handy feature in real usage.

The light body is well made and the deep recessed areas make the 2 finger grip very easy to use while pulling the light towards your palm to activate the switch. That was a seperate early concern in the switch as it seems to be a standard Kroll. We all know how these switches often fail or at least become dependable only half the time however with many months on duty not one switch failure. I am not sure as to what if anything Peak has done to the switch but it seems to be reliable none the less.

Personally I would like to see a more aggressive knurling as the light can get a little slippery. I do like the lanyard position very much and with practice it allows the light to be dropped for hands free encounters and quickly swung back into perfect position due to the front attatchment point....very well designed feature as well.

As mentioned earlier I had a few minor issues after dropping the light where the reflectors became a little out of alignment. I tried to tighten the bezel down as much as possible forcing the lens harder on top of the reflectors to better hold them. This had mixed results however after even if they did become off center the light still functioned with a little less than perfect beam quality.

On a side not I had a few NX-05 optics that I had to shave a little off for fitting but tried to use the optics rather than reflectors. The result was pretty nice however not as nice as the reflectors. I would like to see someone experiment with maybe a Fraen if they had 3 just to see how well it would work.

I honestly believe I like the light best for its moddability. In the current design it allows easy access to the internals and also for emitter swaps if anything better and brighter comes along. The design is simple and effective with a few small screws holding down the emitters. In spite of the loose reflectors held in by pressure only I am not sure if I would better like a potted assembly or even a screw in reflector assembly. There is more to the versatility of this light than just the various battery options.....you also have emitter options as well as reflectors and optics should you choose to do so and have limited modding abilities.

All in all the light has done me well in patrol with a few picky changes on my part wanted. I do know that I do not hesitate to use the light on large building searches or even in open areas. Many of my co-workers have borrowed the light and it brought the same praise from them as it did me. The largest complaint was the lack of a holster however that is a simple fix and one I am sure Peak will offer. I got my sample early on and do not believe there was a holster available. I also had a few ask as to a weapon mount available for a patrol AR-15 and I do not know if this will be an option.

I have enjoyed testing this light and will keep you updated as to any future observations....thanks for reading.

BrightIdeaOSU08-11-2007 01:03 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

One thing I'm vary pleased about this light is the wide variety of ways that it can be upgraded. For instance, a wider collar around the switch could be machined with thee legs that could make it into a stable road flare or lantern with the addition of the cone. It would be relatively easy to make a ring with a flip down diffuser as well. I must stress, the plastic the ring and the tail shroud are made out of are extremely tough; a accidental drop on concrete only slightly dented the tail cap.

A question for Robyn, though; is there any way to take off the twist knob so it can be lubricated or cleaned? Thanks!

gostanova08-22-2007 01:58 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightIdeaOSU (Post 2053493)
One thing I'm vary pleased about this light is the wide variety of ways that it can be upgraded. For instance, a wider collar around the switch could be machined with thee legs that could make it into a stable road flare or lantern with the addition of the cone. It would be relatively easy to make a ring with a flip down diffuser as well. I must stress, the plastic the ring and the tail shroud are made out of are extremely tough; a accidental drop on concrete only slightly dented the tail cap.

A question for Robyn, though; is there any way to take off the twist knob so it can be lubricated or cleaned? Thanks!

I couldn't find a small enough hex wrench, but after some hunting around the house I found that a 1mm flathead will do the trick. BTW, this light is AWESOME!!! Brightest non-hid I own, and now that I have their 2x123 tube, It's actually a little shorter than my U2... and 3 or 4x the output! Good Job!!!
A little birdie also told me they're planning on releasing(with emphasis on no specific date) on releasing a 6 or 7 led version of the first responder which would be in the 800lm range. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/ima...s/buttrock.gif
Buttrock

BentHeadTX08-22-2007 08:27 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostanova (Post 2057187)
A little birdie also told me they're planning on releasing(with emphasis on no specific date) on releasing a 6 or 7 led version of the first responder which would be in the 800lm range. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/ima...s/buttrock.gif
Buttrock

Agreed about the brightness with it screaming along with two RCR123 li-ions. Although it is not good to hammer those cells at 1.36 amps at max, I do like the full dimmability of the setup.

A new body is coming out that will hold two 18500 li-ions so it can have the low level of 10mA per LED all the way to 800mA per LED. A nice jump in max runtime to around an hour and the batteries can handle the 1.36 amp load.

Talked to the same little birdie and it is 7 LEDs, six SSC V bins and one LuxeonIII. The perfect kick down the door light that runs on four 18650 li-ions. Drive 6 V bin SSC emitters at 800mA each and we are talking over a thousand lumens at the LED.

HIDs beware!

lyyyghtmaster08-23-2007 12:27 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Does anyone know what dimming mode is used? If it is PWM, does it look like low- or high- frequency? :thinking:

I'm pleased to hear that the minimum power level available will be lower than previously stated. This will help immensely with dark-condition navigating and note-taking. Is this the point of the one LuxIII in the seven-LED future version?? I'm also VERY pleased to hear of the plans for even greater brightness!! :naughty:

Thanks!

BentHeadTX08-23-2007 06:09 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

It is most likely current regulation, the electric fan test did not indicate any strobing. It could have very, very high frequency PWM but there is a slight tint shift when going from low to high so I would guess current regulation.

From what I gather, the point of running a LuxIII is to offer different colors. As you would guess, that variable regulator in the First Responder would fit many different styles and sizes of lights. Who knows how it will all come together but it will be interesting to see a photon cannon coming out of Peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyyyghtmaster (Post 2057510)
Does anyone know what dimming mode is used? If it is PWM, does it look like low- or high- frequency? :thinking:

I'm pleased to hear that the minimum power level available will be lower than previously stated. This will help immensely with dark-condition navigating and note-taking. Is this the point of the one LuxIII in the seven-LED future version?? I'm also VERY pleased to hear of the plans for even greater brightness!! :naughty:

Thanks!

lyyyghtmaster08-24-2007 03:00 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentHeadTX (Post 2057771)
It is most likely current regulation, the electric fan test did not indicate any strobing. It could have very, very high frequency PWM but there is a slight tint shift when going from low to high so I would guess current regulation.

Thank you, that's just what I was looking for. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentHeadTX/2057771
From what I gather, the point of running a LuxIII is to offer different colors.

That makes sense, and would make me even more likely to buy one! :D

BentHeadTX08-24-2007 04:15 PMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyyyghtmaster (Post 2058041)
That makes sense, and would make me even more likely to buy one! :D

Although the new light is in the very early stages, the seed of something really good is starting to sprout. A monster light sounds good and very useful for SWAT/Marine use. Think of a First Responder on steroids.

I can see some nut mounting one on a .50 cal in far off lands. The shock to that light would be staggering so I can see a LiFePO4 or A123 Systems nano safe lithium-ion cells to power the monster. Those protection boards in regular lithium-ion cells might break from the concussion. :O

22hornet08-25-2007 05:57 AMRe: First Responder Update June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynS (Post 2031175)
We have been getting a lot of questions/emails regarding our new light ...
Features:
• Over 400 Lumens of light output
In a side-by-side comparison with a well known competitive 225 Lumen output incandescent bulb flashlight ... will light up the area between two houses close to daylight conditions.

Sweet!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Robyn!
Am I the only one who noticed ?? :huh:
Peak is using lumens instead of cp.
It would be really nice to have the lumen ratings of the other Peak lights as well. :poke:

This because, everything considered cp only gives an idea about throw but little - or nothing - about total output.

Kind regards and enjoy the weekend,
Joris

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
n a side-by-side comparison with a well known competitive 225 Lumen output incandescent bulb flashlight ... will light up the area between two houses close to daylight conditions.

I am not one to normally be nit-picky, but do people realize what "daylight conditions" really means? in a typical day in the US, the average footcanlde reading during daytime is anywhere from 1000fc to 12000fc....an area between two houses, lets say 10 ft x 30 ft.

So for illustration, lets take the low end of daytime light conditions of 2000 fc at 300 sq ft....that means that there is 600,000 lumens of light in that area during daytime....

now I know the human eye modifies what we see, and that there are both photopic and scotopic reaction curves, but still........a 400 lumen light is providing 1/1500 the amount of light

that being said, I am SURE that this light looks awesome at night

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
It may not be 'daylight conditions' but it is a great wall of light, and there is certainly no problem navigating in the woods at night. I usually use it on a medium level, but the low level is very low on rechargeable 123 batteries, perfect for reading.

I need to buy some accessories now.

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
I notice this light is on the Peak website now!! They show it as having a "sealed head". I know this means the electronics, but have they started potting the reflectors as well, or are they still accessible to repositioning/modding? Thanks!

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
I notice this light is on the Peak website now!! They show it as having a "sealed head". I know this means the electronics, but have they started potting the reflectors as well, or are they still accessible to repositioning/modding? Thanks!

Hi lyygghtmaster -

As with all of our lights the electronics are potted, but the head on the first responder is not sealed, so the reflectors are still accessible to do with what you please.

Robyn

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light. Not sure how I missed this one - didn't know it existed until now. I actually don't mind the big silver knob although I would prefer a SF U2 style ring. My only criticism is that the light is unnecessarily long when used in 2 x CR123 mode. I think it should have been made shorter and a 2 x AA extender included as an option.

Grubbster

Enlightened
My only criticism is that the light is unnecessarily long when used in 2 x CR123 mode. I think it should have been made shorter and a 2 x AA extender included as an option.
They have an optional 2X123 body that is much shorter than the standard body. It is the one I keep on the light and it makes it about the same length as a U2. :D

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have an optional 2X123 body that is much shorter than the standard body. It is the one I keep on the light and it makes it about the same length as a U2. :D

Cool thanks for the info. I might have to buy one now :ohgeez:

Edit: Where can I get hold of one of these 2x123 bodies? I see the first responder for sale on the peak website but can't find any accessories for it.

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
Edit: Where can I get hold of one of these 2x123 bodies? I see the first responder for sale on the peak website but can't find any accessories for it.
You just have to give them a call, their website is not very good. Make sure you get a momentary switch also because mine did not come with one. You will love this light!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
BWAHAHAHAHH!!!! (Evil laugh)

I got my First Responder today with the shorter 2 x cr123 body. Here it is:

peakbe8.jpg

This body uses a monentary switch. Twist for constant on and press switch for flashing (Surefire L7 style). It didn't work properly to begin with though. I had to trim down the foam insert slightly but it works fine now. I guess I would prefer a clicky, but this body is quite a bit shorter and the momentary switch is probably more reliable than the clicky.

Brightness: With 1 x 18650 (2.5W), it is slightly brighter than my Aleph 19 XR-E. With 2 x cr123 (7W), it is clearly brighter. The beam pattern is much more floody than the A19.

Tint: The tint of the SSC LEDs are slightly red which is the way I like it. Tint doesn't seem to change at all with dimming.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the write-up monkeyboy, I sure am interested in hearing anything else you have to say. I am surprised that there is not more buzz about this light - it seems so versatile and rugged. I know this is a lot to ask, but could you do beamshots vs some other lights?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this light as well and do plan to buy one (hopefully soon). I think I like the smaller body but this is just my opinion and factoring in how I would use the light. Sure looks good.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go, Aleph 19 XR-E (Left) - First responder (right) on 2xcr123. Close range - 50cm:

alephpeakjl5.jpg

Not surpisingly the First responder is floodier and has quite a bit more overall output. The triple beam pattern is less apparent at long range and is not a problem in real life use but clearly some of the light in the flood is being cut out by the surround on the head.

I think this is a fantastic light and I would recommend it but there are a few minor things that I would change.

1) A shorter 2 x cr123 body with clicky should be included as standard. That's what people want. (The clicky can't be mounted on the shorter momentary switch body). The tactical body could be sold as an option or as a separate package.

2) Turning down the potentiometer too far switches off the light completely while still consuming power. The light shouldn't go off completely with the pot.

3) A (three point) scalloped bezel would allow more flood out and create a rounder flood beam.

4) Regulation could be better. 1 x 18650 should be as bright as 2 x cr123a

5) I don't like the strobing as the battery is depleted. If the light just dimmed, that would be evidence enough that the battery was depleted and would make the remaining light much more usable IMO.

I think Peak LED need to make more of an effort marketing this light. Accessories should be available on the website and they should also sell through well know retailers such as Lighthound. It seems to me like they created this great flashlight but just couldn't be bothered marketing it.

I hope that this post doesn't sound excessively negative, I just think that this light has the potential to be even better and Peak LED could be selling much more of these if it were aimed at the general public as well as Law enforcement.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE:

Did some night time hill walking with the First Responder today. I am very pleased with the flood that the light produces. This makes it much more useful than any other light that I own. I starting to find that flood is preferable throw in everyday situations too. I wish more manufacturers would concentrate on making flood lights like this.

It turns out that no. 2) from my list of issues is a real PITA for night time walking especially when wearing gloves. When the light is on the minimum or low setting, it's very easy to accidentally nudge the pot, switching the light off. You then have to fumble around in the dark to get the light back to the right setting.

Another issue I had with the light is the waterproofing. After use in the rain, a lot of condensation formed on the inside. Turns out that none of the threads or O-rings have been lubricated; in partcular -the bezel ring. After lubricating threads and O-rings with silicon grease, the light now appears to be waterproof.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
RoboCop and Monkeyboy,

Thanks for all of the valuable input on this light. I received mine last week, and I agree that it is a good sturdy bright backup light that does a good job lighting up a scene (really useful flood characteristics for emergency services work)

That being said, I have a few (hopefully constructive) criticisms:

The optimal voltage for this light is 9 volts, yet the light does not currently support the use of two 18650s. While I have had great results with the First Responder using 3-AA batteries (4.5 volts) as well as 1 18650 (4.2 volts), the light did not throw as well as my Dereelight Q5 at these voltages, though it had much better flood characteristics. I also had good results with 2 CR-123 disposables, though again, the light was not a bright (at center spot) as some of my other EDCs. Flood was great with anything at or over 3.7 volts. Candidly, throw is overrated; flood is more useful.

Peak is working on an extender that will allow the light to use 2-18500s as well as an extender that will allow for 2-18650s. I will likely make the 18500 setup my default configuration.

For the record, Peak told me that the optimal light output would (currently) come from using 2-3.7v protected RCR123s. If you do decide to use this configuration, be sure to find protected 3.7v RCR123s that can readily take a 1.4 amp draw. Two sets of Ultrafires could not.

Finally, as far as the tail cap options go, I would have like to see a minor change to both the long and short battery tube options: A tailcap lockout. There is a plastic piece (that is removable) on the long body version, but an integrated lockout would be better. The short body has no lockout.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this light MarkIAlbert. I'd like to hear what others have to say about this light also. Seems to me that a lock-out would be a useful feature, especially in a light that might be needed in a critical situation, and also because it will often be using lithium batteries.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
RoboCop and Monkeyboy,

Thanks for all of the valuable input on this light. I received mine last week, and I agree that it is a good sturdy bright backup light that does a good job lighting up a scene (really useful flood characteristics for emergency services work)

That being said, I have a few (hopefully constructive) criticisms:

The optimal voltage for this light is 9 volts, yet the light does not currently support the use of two 18650s. While I have had great results with the First Responder using 3-AA batteries (4.5 volts) as well as 1 18650 (4.2 volts), the light did not throw as well as my Dereelight Q5 at these voltages, though it had much better flood characteristics. I also had good results with 2 CR-123 disposables, though again, the light was not a bright (at center spot) as some of my other EDCs. Flood was great with anything at or over 3.7 volts. Candidly, throw is overrated; flood is more useful.

Peak is working on an extender that will allow the light to use 2-18500s as well as an extender that will allow for 2-18650s. I will likely make the 18500 setup my default configuration.

For the record, Peak told me that the optimal light output would (currently) come from using 2-3.7v protected RCR123s. If you do decide to use this configuration, be sure to find protected 3.7v RCR123s that can readily take a 1.4 amp draw. Two sets of Ultrafires could not.

Finally, as far as the tail cap options go, I would have like to see a minor change to both the long and short battery tube options: A tailcap lockout. There is a plastic piece (that is removable) on the long body version, but an integrated lockout would be better. The short body has no lockout.

It should be noted that customer service at Peak is quite good and are definately concerned about keeping their customers happy. Thanks Robyn :twothumbs