Got Seoul?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say that it is 8W.

So 420/8 = 52.5 lm/W that is nothing special..

8W with 600mA current means 13.3V, so it is probably build from four dies in series connection.

kanarie

Enlightened
Humm, looks totally unpractical for in a flashlight.
If you need a lot of light; better use a Osram ostar of a cluster of Lumiled Rebels

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't be able to retrofit it into existing lights without considerable modification to the power supply. It's quite apparently four chips in series, and would require around 13 or 14 volts.

c_c

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of funny how they mention its output at 8W, and then compare it to a "conventional" LED (their own Z-Power P4) that puts out only 100 lumens. BUT, that 100 lumens is the luminous flux rating at 350 mA. The P4 LED has a luminous flux of up to 118 lumens per watt, and can put out over 200 lumens at 3 watts. Seems misleading to me. :poke:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't be able to retrofit it into existing lights without considerable modification to the power supply. It's quite apparently four chips in series, and would require around 13 or 14 volts.

c_c

It seems using multi-cores on a single die will be considered a 'single' LED. Should make things interesting.

In looking at this Seoul setup, I have to keep thinking about applications to headlamps and most of all bike lighting;
using this LED with three or four 18650s. :huh:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
only flashlight application I can think of would be something like a closeup/flood type of light mounted in parallel rows

perhaps this can replace the long halogen lamps in construction and shop lights altogether:sssh:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just taking some guesses here but we don't know for sure that is sitting side by side to their SSC - that is it may have been blown up size wise. It could be very small like the Rebel. It's possible with an optic or right kind of reflector to make it a round beam. OTOH if you look around you how much of your environment is round. This could be the wave of the future :laughing: - the new rectangular beam flashlights - turn vertical for walking down halls. :crackup:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another problem with the new multiple-die LEDs: heat. When the new Cree and Seoul chips became available, we got twice the light output without any increase in power dissipation (heat generation). But with these devices, the dissipation is multiplied by the same factor as the light output, since they're no more efficient than a single chip LED. It's hard enough to keep a single 3W LED cool enough in a flashlight, and it gets a lot harder as the power dissipation increases. The thermal path from the LED to the flashlight body will have to be very good. This will end up causing the flashlight body to get very hot unless there's some better way to transfer the heat to the air (or the user's hand -- if you can take the temperature). This means a physically larger flashlight, or one with fins or a fan. Or one you can run for only for a short time before turning it off to cool. Sorry, we're bump up against the laws of physics here, and until more efficient LEDs are developed, more light is going to mean more heat, period.

c_c

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
why on earth would they create a weird shaped LED? :thinking: i know i might be wrong but there must be the a reason or they are just distracting us away from their lack of recent update with this K2 look-a-like packing?
Where is V-bin SSC?

Illum

Flashaholic
I suppose the creation of this new style fulfills some type of industrial/commercial requirement outside the realm of flashlights and or single emitter requirements.:sssh:

assuming they know what they are doing, we should see to the continuing of ROUND SSCs being manufactured while these RECTANGULAR LED modules are continually being developed.:)

knifebright

Enlightened
i don't know it looks actualyl interesting. I'm thinking sink the heck out of one in a mag 2D with the propper power supply.

first thing i though is it looks like the shape of the emmitting source of a tungsten filament. It's not all that wacky for a flashlight, maybe for an led but for a flashlight it is the long term historical norm i think.

can 't wait to try one out if possible.

Jimmy

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they are trying to assemble several together why not make a cube shape with 5 faces containing a die and the 6th face connected to the heatsink?

Interesting find

AlexGT