Olight T-10 Q5 WC

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
My T10 Q5 arrived today and it is fantastic! I love the interface and it's crazy bright. The low is low enough for reading and other close up tasks. The dual surface reflector really seems to work, not a gimmick. It has a very clean beam but still throws like mad. The switch is very positive and the button is recessed enough that it tail stands without any wobble. It gets my vote for the most versatile 1XCR123 light available. I think Fenix now has some catching up to do in this form factor.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds awesome. Mine shipped this week and I can't wait for it to arrive!

How about some beamshots comparing it to your other lights?

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I don't have any beam shots yet.

Bad news. After playing with it for a while this evening and taking the dog for a walk, it began flickering like a candle on the brightest setting. I cleaned the contacts and tried 4 different (new) batteries and it's still doing it. It seems to get worse as the light warms up. It isn't happening on the lower levels. How very disappointing this is. I hope it's a defective unit and not a design flaw because I really like the light. :sick2:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Matt,

If the contact cleaning doesn't solve the problem, I'm sure they'll replace it. They seem to care about customer service and building a good reputation.

One thing I've hesitated on: It seems like the built it for throw rather than spill. Is the hotspot surrounded by a smooth spill? Can you estimate how low the lowest low is? I'm spoiled by the VB-16, 2nd or 3rd generation, and the Liteflux LF2. Both will go down to a 1 lumen low and that's great late at night.

da.gee

Enlightened
The hot spot is brighter, sharper and smaller on the T10 when compared to my P2D RB100. The overall spill area is also smaller on the T10. The T10 does look to have have better throw than the P2D. I have to take my T10 on a night walk to get some additional data. The T10 beam is just like the T20 if you've seen that one. Slightly less bright by the numbers.

Marlite

Enlightened
Matt

Sorry for your disappointment, but gunga calls that Strobe mode if it's on high. On low he says it's beacon.
Sending it back is a nuisance too hope it gets fixed. :ohgeez::sigh:

marlite

Sorry, I don't have any beam shots yet.

Bad news. After playing with it for a while this evening and taking the dog for a walk, it began flickering like a candle on the brightest setting. I cleaned the contacts and tried 4 different (new) batteries and it's still doing it. It seems to get worse as the light warms up. It isn't happening on the lower levels. How very disappointing this is. I hope it's a defective unit and not a design flaw because I really like the light. :sick2:

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Matt

Sorry for your disappointment, but gunga calls that Strobe mode if it's on high. On low he says it's beacon.
Sending it back is a nuisance too hope it gets fixed. :ohgeez::sigh:

marlite

Gunga?
I bought mine from Battery Junction and I already have an RMA.

da.gee

Enlightened
Finally got some night experience with this light. Really nice throw and I'm starting to like the more defined hotpsot/spill vs the floodier P2D R100. It's going to hang in my pocket as EDC replacing the P2D.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
My replacement T10 arrived today and I am very pleased. It appears to be equal in every way to my first unit minus the flicker.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my T10 Q5 today, and all I can say is WOW!!! For a 1XCR123 cell light it's a little longer than I thought it would be...but that's "small potatoes".
For a 1 cell light (...hell, for a TWO cell light!) this thing is an absolute screamer! I like the well defined spot; it throws better than any 1 cell light I've ever seen, and the tint is nice and cool...just the way I like it!

Great, fast shipping from Battery Junction, as well...Thanx, Matt!

PJD

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting for mine from Welight. Seems like it has been forever. Sounds like an awesome light and I'll post a review as soon as it arrives.

jimahi

Newly Enlightened
I have been playing with this light for a couple of days. It is definitely bright! I also agree with the other folks who have said that this light is certainly not for white wall hunters. The spill is a bit ringy and there is a slight donut in the hotspot. Do other folks also see a donut in the hotspot?

Two other observations I have on the operation. If you turn the light on too soon after turning it off, it comes on in bright strobe mode. As long as you wait at least 2-3 seconds after turning it off, it will reset and come on in the last brightness setting. The clicky switch takes a bit of getting used to. To turn it on and off takes a good bit of pressure, but to cycle between modes takes only a light touch. This has a side effect of sometimes accidentally going into strobe mode if you don't give it enough umph to actually click it off. So those pesky unwanted strobe/SOS modes still may get in your way.

-Jim

Last edited:

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Both my first unit and the replacement have the slight donut. It's hard to see unless you look for it.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
My non-Q5 T10 has a very slight dim point in the hotspot, I really wouldn't call it a "hole". My Q5 T20 doesn't have this. It appears to me that the reflectors of both are the same size despite the T20's larger head. However, the ratio of OP to smooth is slightly different in the two reflectors. I don't remember which, but one has a longer section of OP.
Both emitters appear about the same off-center in the reflector, which is to say only a fraction of a millimeter.

GerryL

Newly Enlightened
Whoa! That's my response to this light. I ordered it yesterday and got it today. Man it's bright for a single cell light. Nice throw, nice spill too. I'm liking it a lot. I wrote in a recent headlight thread about a dog on my run that was a bit agressive when I was on a night run until I shined a bright 2AA ROV at him when he got close...tonight I had the T-10 on the run, and I think I heard a yelp when I lit him up. :) Made him stop dead and sit. :thumbsup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today and have a couple questions regarding the S.O.S mode, because I think mine doesn't operate as it should.

My light has two modes of S.O.S (as it should) but the light never actually turns off in either level of S.O.S. All it does is keep a steady lower level and then it blinks a brighter level in the S.O.S fashion. Is this how this light is supposed to work? I've handled quite a few lights that have the S.O.S feature and all of them are 1 level of brightness which flashes S.O.S and is off between flashes.
For the people who own this light, is this how it works on your unit as well? Or did I get a faulty one? The light operates as it should otherwise. :shrug:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
You're right, the Olights do have both low and high level SOS. The level is switched just like the regular illumination modes.
With that said, my non-Q5 T10 turns off completely between the SOS dots and dashes in both low and high modes. I'm running it with a standard SureFire CR123a.
I don't have my Q5 T20 in hand, but I don't recall any visual evidence of it staying in low between the SOS flashes.
Maybe you have an oddity in the bezel contact or circuit. What battery type are you using?