Fenix T1 Review - Picture heavy (Outdoor shots added)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Fenix T1 today. I had it sent express mail from Fenix-store.com.

First impression, wow, this is solid compared to other Fenix lights. After seeing the P3D abuse thread I can't imagine what it would take to take out this thing.

It feels pretty good in my hand. The points around the tail switch don't bother me. To switch between general and turbo you twist the body. The clip rubs on the knurling, but so far no scratches. You only have to turn it a little bit to change mode, so it's not a big deal. The clip is very tight, had a bit of trouble clipping it to my jeans pocket, but this particular pair of jeans has like a double layer of denim along the edge of the pocket which doens't help.

As far as output, it's bright, and out throws the P3D with ease. Here are my LUX meter results:

With AW R123's 3.7v:

General: DX Meter 1,110 LUX / TES Meter 1,480 LUX
Turbo: DX Meter 4,860 LUX / TES Meter 6,600 LUX

With Titanium brand primaries:

General: DX Meter 1,090 LUX / TES Meter 1,450 LUX
Turbo: DX Meter 4,920 LUX / TES Meter 6,690 LUX

Seems to have a little more output on Turbo with primaries, but almost identical output.

So for throw, the max I got was 6,690 LUX on the TES Meter. Comparing that to some other lights:

Dereelight CL1H 3-stage Q5 w/ smooth reflector: 9,300 LUX
Dereelight CL1H 3-stage Q5 w/ textured reflector: 6,450 LUX
Dereelight DBS 2SD Q5 1A w/ smooth reflector: 26,400 LUX
Malkoff M60 Q2 1A w/ OP in Surefire G2: 4,780LUX

While this won't compete with Tiablos, MRV's, DBS's, etc, for throw, due to the reflector's size being small, the output is similar to the CL1H 3-stage Q5 with a OP reflector.

The T1 also comes with a nice holster which has a flap to secure the light. I still need to get a picture of that. It came with a lanyard, spare o-ring, and a spare orange tail switch cover. Was wondering if it would have a spare black tail switch cover for those wanting a more "tactical" look. :) Unless I got another orange by mistake? Anyone get black? :)

This is still an initial review, I haven't had a chance to take it out in the dark, but here are some pictures and beam shots, and as always you can click on the pics to see a hi-res version:

Fenix P1D-CE, P2D-CE, P3D Rebel100, T1, Surefire G2, E2e, Rayovac 3-Watt 2AA:

Dereelight CL1H V3, Fenix T1, Dereelight DBS:

Fenix P3D and T1:

Surefire E2e and T1:

Beamshot time. WB set to daylight, apeture f2.8, distance 1 meter.

Turbo:

1/10 sec:

1/40 sec:

1/160 sec:

1/640 sec:

General:

1/10 sec:

1/40 sec:

1/160 sec:

1/640 sec:

Well, the kids decided to stay up late, but once I finally got them to fall asleep I got outside and took some beam shots. :) Only 30F outside, could be worse.

I'm still debating about the exposure. I went with ISO 100, f2.8, and 1sec again. For the control shot, it looked more accurate at 2 seconds, but then the beam shots seemed overly bright at 2 seconds, maybe I should go 1.5 seconds. Oh well, I went with one second and it will at least give you an idea how these lights compare. The Fenix T1 did very well I thought and has a useful beam. The distance to the white buildling (garage) in the distance is around 150-160 feet away. Again, click on any of the pics for a high res version. If you open a couple shots in multiple browsers you can switch between the browsers by clicking the various tabs at the bottom of your screen, or at the top if you have tabbed viewing, which should overlay the shots and allow you to toggle between them quickly for a more dramatic comparision. :)

First up, control shot:

Fenix T1 General - AW R123's

Fenix T1 Turbo - AW R123's

Dereelight CL1H V3 3-stage Q5 smooth reflector - AW 18650

Dereelight DBS 3-stage Q5 smooth reflector - AW 18650

Fenix P3D Rebel100 Turbo - AW R123's (Look at that color rendering, not bad for a LED)

Fenix Red LOD-CE Q4 Turbo - Sanyo Eneloop AAA (Would be much brighter on 10440)

Surefire E2e incan 65 lumen bulb - Surefire CR123's

Crazy that the little LOD-CE Q4 with a AAA 1.2v NiMH is putting out similar lumens to the Surefire E2e, but due to the small reflector it doesn't throw as well, but has brighter spill.

I think the next time I repeat these shots I'll go with a slightly longer exposure as they are probably a little darker looking than in person, and it's more noticeable with say the Surefire E2e and LOD as they looked a bit brighter than that in person.

The Dereelight CL1H has as slightly brighter hot spot, more noticeable in person, and at 1 meter reads about 3,000 LUX higher, but that's due to the Dereelight having a smooth reflector and the Fenix a textured one. I figure they are probably putting out about the same emitter lumens, more or less. I have new modules coming for my Dereelights which will have Q5 WC's being driven at 1.2A. I'd expect them to be slightly brighter and I'll take more shots when I have them, probably another couple weeks.

I think Fenix did the right thing by using a textured reflector, as you can see the beam is more practical for general use. Most people probably don't need to light things up past 200 feet most of the time. As you can see with the CL1H, you loose a lot in the darker parts of the beam because of the smooth reflector. I could switch to a textured reflector in the CL1H and it would probably almost match the beam of the Fenix T1. The T1 reflector looks pretty much exactly like a P60 style reflector.

Last edited:

W-c.Scenario

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix T1 Review - Picture heavy

Thanks, nice review,
is the heatissue solved or do they still advise you to
limit the use of turbo-mode to 10 minutes?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice first look, Wade.

I received one as well. My initial impression - strongly built, heavy. Would not want to get cracked on the noggin with it.

A substantial unpleasantry for me is how the clip grinds on the light body when you turn the head between general mode and turbo. That just ain't right. Its already leaving a mark. Not the end of the world by any means, but not a good design IMO. The cutouts in the bezel are sharp as well, and will grab clothing.

Wish the clip could be removed. Mine will come off of there, one way or another. No way I can put up with it grinding against the body.

I like how the switch is semi-protected from accidental activation by the scalloped tail. Its still very easy to get your thumb on the switch. Also like how the switch is glowy, too. Its my first glowy switch.

A Pila 168S won't fit in the body, but I didn't expect it to. Nevertheless, it would be nice.

The light reminds me somewhat of a Pelican M6 or whatever its called. Except the Fenix is much heavier and more solidly built.

Not that long I would have been giggling like a goofball to have this many alleged lumens coming out of an LED, so I'm not complaining. What really matters is what is does in the dark. It might be worthwhile to address those other issues, though.

Edit: couldn't stand it anymore and bent the clip back and forth until it snapped off. Thats much better. :nana:

right on

Last edited:

JKL

Enlightened

:cool: Thanks WadeF!

Nice pictures and great initial review.
icon14.gif

Last edited:

redledz

Newly Enlightened

Just have to agree, awesome pics and review WadeF! :thumbsup:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another excellent review with equally impressive pictures. Two questions: Can you bend the clip a tad so it doesn't rub? Is the bezel removable, or did they glue it down? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JKL

Enlightened

The hole in the tail seems enought wide for a paracord lanyard :naughty:.

DSC03462.JPG

We wait outdoor beamshots as soon as possible.
popcorn.gif

:thanks: again WadeF .

Last edited:

nobita

Newly Enlightened

Thank you! I finally see a T1 review thread with user pictures. :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, nice review,
is the heatissue solved or do they still advise you to
limit the use of turbo-mode to 10 minutes?

I checked the instructions, no mention of this. Also keep in mind that warning was with the P3D and it was limited to 10 minutes in high ambient temperatures. It didn't say you couldn't run it non-stop in regular to low temps. Also many people have put their P3D's through run time tests, in turbo, and I haven't heard of it causing any ill effects. That said, I rarely find myself in a situation where I need to run turbo for any length of time

The T1 has way more mass to it than the P3D so heat sinking should not be an issue. Running it on Turbo shouldn't be a problem.

I'm at my in-laws now, I'll try to take some out door beam shots tonight and post them. They will just be in my back yard though. I'll try and do some beam shots with the Dereelight CL1H and DBS, P3D Rebel 100, etc.

Also I've had it in my pocket for over an hour, an hour of that was spent in the car driving, and it feels fine. I can't really tell it's there. I think it rides well because the slimmer body is the only part in the pocket, and the big head sticks up and out of the pocket, when clipped.

BTW, I wouldn't want to be striked with the tail cap, OUCH.

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened

Thanks, Wade.

I checked the instructions, no mention of this. Also keep in mind that warning was with the P3D and it was limited to 10 minutes in high ambient temperatures. It didn't say you couldn't run it non-stop in regular to low temps. Also many people have put their P3D's through run time tests, in turbo, and I haven't heard of it causing any ill effects. That said, I rarely find myself in a situation where I need to run turbo for any length of time.

I just put my P3D RB100 through a heat test tonight, accidentally. I got up to go to the kitchen and as I walked I felt something hot in my pocket. I suddenly realised what it was and pulled it out. :duh2: It was too hot to hold - I held it by the strap as I went back to my desk. I checked the front of the holster and it was ok. And the elastic looks ok. I'd have noticed a lot sooner if it wasn't in the holster. I don't know how long it was on. It's the first time it's happened and it's been in my pocket for months. I took the tailcap off and took the batteries out and left it on the desk while I went to the kitchen. When I came back I put it together again and it worked ok. So now I've set it to Low instead of Turbo. :shakehead

cat

Enlightened

No ways. It makes me want to buy a Surefire. And the orange switch is just too much. I'm sorry, the guy :cool: who designed the tailcap... :rolleyes:
All the Fenixes before this have a sleek, straight, functional style.

The clip scraping is a big mistake. And all clips should be removable, anyway.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just put my P3D RB100 through a heat test tonight, accidentally. I got up to go to the kitchen and as I walked I felt something hot in my pocket. I suddenly realised what it was and pulled it out. :duh2: It was too hot to hold - I held it by the strap as I went back to my desk.

Yeah, that may not be good for it. When I said it should be okay to run non-stop, that would be with it in your hand so your hand can keep it cool. :)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apply a little force, and it comes right off. This "mod" is permanent, however. :D

T1aLarge.jpg

First...Wade...Great review as always...Thanks!,

As to the picture powernoodle: :twothumbs I always give it up to people who are willing to scuff their equipment to make it more functional to them. I once did the same thing with a rear sight on a rifle to get a scope on... your modding technique made my day.

chibato

Newly Enlightened

Additional thanks for the review Wade. Still interested in seeing more outdoor shots. :)