AAA Review, MJP Extreme III, Avenger, TnC AAA

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always like small lights that are bright yet usable. :shrug:

Received today an Extreme III from Arc Mania; Several days ago received a Lumapower Avenger; Have had several TnC "N"'s and had Icarus (Freddie), build some flu-pic LE's.......for this review, added my only TnC AAA body. LumaPower specifications have been published in numerous threads.......it is a Rebel LED with Low and High Modes (apparently Turbo with a 10440 Li-on battery. (will elaborate later).

Have compared with CR2's and CR123's for size and of course beam shape, tint and brightness.

The Extreme III came directly from Japan with a very nice candle diffuser that attaches by simply pushing over the bezel for a very solid and tight fit. Extra "O" rings and actually a container of lubrication.

The specifications for the Extreme are as follows:
LED : Rebel LED bin number NW0D/NX0D or better.
Input voltage : 0.9V - 5.0V (AAA/10440)
AAA battery chemistry : Alkaline(1.5V), NIMH(1.2V), NICD(1.2), Primary Lithium(1.7V) & rechargeable Li-Ion 10440(4.2V)
Uses PWM at high frequency 7800Hz. No flickering from 0.2% to 100% output
AR Coated glass lens (Diameter 12mm, thickness 1mm)
HA III natural finish, no mis-match.
Single o ring seal at lens, LED module & battery tube.
3 positions twisting action for on/off and programming : off, P1, P2
Tighten for off. Reduce the chances of losing the complete head (bezel & LED module)
Lock out mode : loosen 2 turns
Stable tail stand even with small keyring, similar to the KIB flashlight.
Area lighting with white diffuser installed
water resistant

Size:
Length : 77mm
Diameter : 14mm (bezel)

Main functions:

FOUR (4) operating modes

1. Standard mode - 2 output level. default at 15% brightness & 50% brightness

2. User adjustable mode - default at 50%. Adjustable from 0.2% (8 seconds) to 100% (8 seconds)

3. Strobe mode - 2 stobes level. default 1 Hz at 50% brightness at 15.6 Hz at 100% brightness

4. SOS mode - 2 SOS brightness. default 6.5% & 50%. cycle repeats every 3 seconds

all of the above output and frequencies can be changed by the user via the programming function.

FIVE (5) Extra functions

1. Battery voltage indicator - works on Alkaline, NIMH & Lithium Ion battery

2. Programming function - User can define the output and frequencies of the 4 operating modes mentioned above

3. Demo function - Will display all available brightness and frequencies of the four operating modes. Demo runs for a few minutes and revert back to previous operating mode

4. Overdischarge protection for rechargeable batteries - works on NIMH & Lithium Ion battery (4.2V, 10440)

5. Factory reset - Restore EEPROM back to factory default settings for all operating modes & extra functions

NOTE: I ONLY have used Extreme in the NORMAL mode 15 and 50%
apparently the User Interface (UI) is the same as LF2 and I have not taken time to familiarize. (UI, NOT Electronics!).

236914853-M.jpg
236914883-M.jpg

236914922-M.jpg
236915062-M.jpg
236915047-M.jpg

The Extreme is to me, very smooth and "clean". The HAIII Natural finish is very even and color is matched perfectly. The knurling and machining is as "perfect", as I have seen and the threads are extremely smooth and one hand operation is easy.

I used an AAA Duracell Ultra, an Eneloop and an AW 10440 re-chargeable.
Operation was good on all lights and brighter, as expected with the 10440.
Rebel beam is pleasant almost cream white with a large corona (for an AAA light) that transitions nicely to a very usable beam (remember that brightness is apparently 50% on high). The Avenger beam is "warmer" with a similar corona but transition is not nearly as smooth. TnC is a 1W SWOH and beam is slightly larger, not quite as white and on high not as bright as the Extreme. (Note that the Icarus built LE ONLY runs on a Li-on)

The Avenger is machined, finished and knurled very well for a "production" light, the beam is much warmer and would not work on high with a 10440 and I was unwilling to change (sticks).........10440 actually stuck in body and I had to work to remove. The threads (may be due to foam pad) are not nearly as smooth as either Extreme or Tnc.

Extreme on left, Tnc right ..........beam 6 foot from wall, both on high.

236915130-M.jpg

TnC AAA is very well finished and machined (usual TnC); however this light was originally made as a "single" mode light. The mod and usability is good, however the Extreme with Rebel and "normal" mode could easily be an EDC for my purposes. The low seems very adequate for normal usage inside and the high brightness and beam pattern is exceptional for a package of this size. The Candle diffuser is "neat" and diffuses a nice even light (again amazing) even on low.

236915046-M.jpg

236914965-M.jpg

Nuatilus Ti, Titan, TnC AA, Extreme, Avenger, TnC AAA, CR2 Ion TI

I will make a few more comments in then next post.

Thanks for looking!

jeffb

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been a number of threads recently regarding AAA lights. I have a Draco AAA (10440 only) that I use with a Cree upgrade or a 3w Luxeon "U" bin Turbohead.that I tested as well, the U Turbo) is nice and white, the Rebel more creamy and I prefer the beam. The Rebel appears slightly brighter.

225236937-S.jpg

I like the Draco and have one on my key chain, however the Extreme just seems to fit and work better in my hand and the beam seems more usable.

The Cree upgraded Draco is Unregulated and while it works well, at this point, the Extreme just seems unbeatable.

To summarize, the Extreme seems to be "Extremely" well engineered and thought out. The UI, machining, finish, LED and reflector (including electronics) are first class and of excellent quality.

Truthfully, I have not been this excited about a light in quite some time.
While it is a "Custom" and the cost is representative of a Custom light (145.00) I am extremely satisfied and for me there are no "cons".

jeffb

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review :)

Can you post some pics of the MJP next to a Draco? I'd like to see how they compare in size.

Burgess

Flashaholic
A fine review, Jeffb ! :thumbsup:

Quality photography, also.

This is certainly a wonderful little flashlight.

Wish i could afford the $ $ $ to purchase. :broke:

BTW, you have a very nice collection of lights. :)

Thank you for your efforts !

:goodjob: ___ :kewlpics:

_

Rzr800

Enlightened
A big thanks here, also jeff; as I was hoping that someone would do just what you did so well. We have purchased (11) AAA lights in the past month (LODQ4/Tiablo A1) as gifts and I still don't have one :sigh: (although I'm starting to believe that they're my favorite also). I would really like to just pull the trigger on this Extreme and get the (quote/unquote) 'best' before they're gone; yet the price is somehow simply killing me every single time that I dare think about it.

Don't get me wrong; I'd charge the same thing if I built/sold it (or more) and I'd be darn proud to own one (as I'm sure you are)...so thanks for driving me crazy just a little more and certainly enjoy that little beauty every day that you carry it (obviously, I'm as jealous as a flashaholic can be!). :)

Last edited:

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
Jeff,

Nice pics.

Can you take some beam shots with the different batteries for the Extreme III? Is there any noticeable brightness with the different battery options?

TIA,

Fin

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a picture of Draco's,

the Draco AAA will only run on a 10440 Lion, it is as bright and has a very nice tint and slightly larger Corona (with Cree upgrade)........it is very rugged, as evidenced the shorter body on key chain for over a year!

237227885-M.jpg

(pardon the picture, I cut off the top........wife's new "Christmas Camera":)

jeffb

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
new wife's "Christmas Camera"

Oh ? ? ?

And what happened to yer' old wife ? ? ?

:naughty: ___ :D

_

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Camera........same wife..........no one else would tolerate me!

(she DOES tolerate my flashlights):thumbsup:

jeffb

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Koala, I "want" to be a good photographer.........but...:sigh:

I received and do like your drop-in for E1e (I should take a picture!)

I normally "shoot" with a Canon 20D and a 28-70L 2.8

My wife got a Canon A650 IS and it is nice for a P&S (pictures here of Mule shot w/650)

here

jeffb

Last edited:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your doing alright. Your exposure is spot on, chromes and blacks are hard to shoot. You have the DOF foreground and background separation very nice. The lightning is great, now just the composition and angle. I know how to bla bla bla alot but I probably do no better than a noob.

I see you got the F1, glad you like the drop in. :D Then I notice your most of pics in all the posts, You sure like 1 cell lights alot!

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
Jeff,

What are the run times for the various light level settings?

I cannot find them in your post.

Fin

Rob187

Enlightened
Great review. It's one of the reasons I ordered one.

Looking forward to getting it to. To me it, looks like the 'best' AAA light to date.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Looks and sounds like very possibly THE AAA light!

But my people thought $80 for a P6L was a LOT. They would never ever understand $145 for that little thing.

I sure wish I made the big bucks!