Tiablo MA6 review now w/ 15&115 yard beamshots

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!
My Tiablo MA6 arrived today from Batteryjunction. Here is a pic of what it came with:
2205089763_5de528c74f.jpg

I was expecting the light to be HAIII natural...so I was very happy to be surprised with HAIII black. Batteryjunction only sells the lights with both reflectors, which is nice, because I have chosen to leave the OP in, but had I bought the light with only one reflector, I would have chosen the smooth one.

As to the light itself. I simply has a "balanced" feel. Not like the Fenix T1, which is so bezel heavy. This light just feels good in your hand. It is not a tiny pants pocket edc light, but it will fit in the front pocket of a pair of dockers with ease. Tiablo did a nice job with the form of this light.

The light comes with 2 switches. A multilevel/multimode short push reverse clicky switch, and a forward clicky. The multi stage switch has two modes.

Mode One: The light always comes on in high. Push the button again within 2-3 seconds, and you go to medium, then low, then off. Leave the light on for a few seconds at any level, and the next click turns it off.

Press and hold the switch down for 3 seconds, and the light will go to mode two.

Mode Two: The light comes on low. Quickly push again and you go to medium then high...then strobe and sos. Sorry, I did not play with the strobe or sos...I am glad you can lock them out.

I think it is nice, that people who want their light to come on high first...can make that happen...or people who want their light to come on low first...will also be happy.

Next there is the one stage forward clicky. This is what I have on the light now. Just full on with momentary well back into the push. I like this better than the Fenix T1's momentary right before it clicks on. This switch turns the light into a "true" tactical light :) for the purists out there. Plus the clip ring gives you a good hold when using the light with a gun.

Now, how does it perform?:
I am taking some lux #'s from the great review at lightreviews.info. : http://www.light-reviews.com/tiablo_ma6/review.html

First, after using this light, it seems like its biggest competition is the D-mini SE Q5. Neither of these two lights are in the DBS/Tiablo A9 class of lights since they are much smaller, but they are both multi-level Q5 lights designed to illuminate objects at decently long distances. Lets say 50-150 yards. Of course, my throw lights always come during a full moon, so outdoor beamshots will have to wait till later.

The #'s:

Tiablo MA6 / D-Mini SE Q5 (from DiscoverEDC)
on 2x123a on 1xrcr123a
Throw with smooth reflectors
16060lux / 8330lux
Throw with OP reflectors
12520lux / 5370lux
Give or take a little, because these were taken with different meters, but still, the Tiablo has a D-mini sized spot...but much brighter.

Here are the two lights side by side. Notice that the Tiablo has the larger reflector.
2205879416_d2a5802864.jpg

The D-mini is a inch and a half shorter than the Tiablo, but the Tiablo's narrower body tube negates some of that difference.

Here are some beamshots. The white restroom door is 29 yards from the camera and lights. Camera is locked at f/2.8 at 1sec. ISO 64 WB at Daylight.

First at 37mm:

Tiablo MA6 2x123a's smooth reflector
2205088287_0382ceabfd.jpg

the D-mini 123a (fresh) primary, smooth reflector
2205088585_a86fdde71c.jpg

Now at 150mm same lights and settings

Tiablo
2205878144_a978c56251.jpg

D-mini
2205878412_1451f99b08.jpg

Now at under 2' from wall. Left Tiablo/Right D-mini
2205878618_451a18ef1c.jpg

Final beamshot for now, the Tiablo MA6 with its OP reflector, vs. the D-mini with its smooth reflector. Garage wall is about 18'. Purposely underexposed at 1/10" Tiablo is on the right..D-mini on the left.
2205090341_a64a4c4a9d.jpg

If you are considering a small throw light, IMHO the the Tiablo wins over the D-mini SE in every way for the same amount of money. It is just as easy to edc, and has waaay better runtime. (unless you add the 18650 tube...but mine has been flakey with the digital...and then the D-mini is the bigger light) The Tiablo also has about 30% brighter spill than the D-mini Q5. There are not many smaller lights that are going to compare to the throw abilities of the MA6/

I will do outdoor beamshots hopefully at the gun range once the moon goes away.

Final reviewer opinion:

If you want a under $100 well made throw light with superb fit, finish and balance... give this light serious consideration. Multi-level or momentary tactical switches, and over 12K lux throw with the Textured reflector. All in a nice handy light. As far as I am concerned, this light is a winner.

edit... I was able to take some 15 yard beamshots because the rock wall in my back yard blocked the moon. All camera at f/2.8 at 1"

First a control shot.
2213620984_4494218430.jpg

D-mini SEQ5 Smooth reflector
2212828251_7f1173684d.jpg

Tiablo MA6 Smooth reflector
2212827881_434f3b832c.jpg

Fenix T1 OP
2212828903_eef9ddafee.jpg

I am really impressed with the Fenix T1's beam for 30 yards or less. I look forward to getting the smooth reflector version. I think it should be a great light.

See later posts for 115 yard outdoor beamshots. More will be added when the moon is not a factor.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
Re: Tiablo MA6 review w/beamshots...vs. D-mini SE Q5

Interesting review and well done, but not really an "apples to apples" comparison.
The D-Mini is in a different class altogether than the MA6, and of course the MA6 "kicks butt" against the D-Mini.

I'd like to see the MA6 compared against other lights in it's class such as the CL1H/Q5 and the Lumapower Tactical Q5.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the great review :thumbsup:

Although the D-mini and MA6 have a similar price and ease to EDC, I don't think there's much else similar.

A comparison to the CL1H would be great. I think the most similar light currently is the WT1 v2. So if you have either of these lights, that would be a great comparison to read :) (I don't have anything else but the A9 :()

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting review and well done, but not really an "apples to apples" comparison.
The D-Mini is in a different class altogether than the MA6, and of course the MA6 "kicks butt" against the D-Mini.

I'd like to see the MA6 compared against other lights in it's class such as the CL1H/Q5 and the Lumapower Tactical Q5.

The Lumapower M1 SE has the same spill, but the Tiablo easily outthrows it. It also has way better UI. The M1 will use the 18650 though. (having had both lights. I do not have a CL1H, but it looks like a great light based on the reviews I have seen. I think the only light that is around the MA6's size that sould have about the same throw is the WT1. I do not think anything else is going to be close.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

actually, I'd expect the latest digital CL1H to have about as much throw as the WT1. (both a couple thousand below the MA6) But the CL1H is a centimeter shorter and thinner...

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

CL1H digital, 2SD, 3SD have the same throw because of the same current (up to 1200mA). Regal v.1 (13 klux) has throw between CL1H 1.2A (10 klux) and MA6 (16 klux), WT1 v.2 is very close to Tiablo

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am just amazed how now there are some small bezel'd lights...MA6, CL1H, WT1 that can give us close to MRV/Tiablo (maybe not dbs) type of throw and still let us carry around a pretty small light.

I have put the smooth reflector back in the MA6 with the onestage switch...now if the moon would just go away! I can't wait to go mini-spotlighting again.

phantom

Newly Enlightened

Hi woodrow,

Thanks for the great review.

I will appreciate it very much if you could show us some outdoor beamshoots of MA6 in comparison to D-mini Q5 or other lights which is of similar kind to that of MA6(for example Fenix T1, Regalight WT1 or Dereelight CL1H Q5).

phantom.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi woodrow,

Thanks for the great review.

I will appreciate it very much if you could show us some outdoor beamshoots of MA6 in comparison to D-mini Q5 or other lights which is of similar kind to that of MA6(for example Fenix T1, Regalight WT1 or Dereelight CL1H Q5).

phantom.

phantom, I can't wait to do so. Unfortunately, the moon has been pretty bright the last couple days....hopefully, I can post some in the next couple. I will also look outside tonight. Also, I noticed last night, if I unscrew the bezel just 1/4 a turn... the hotspot got clearer, smaller and more defined. I will try to post another few beamshots tonight.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Phantom, I tried to take a few outdoor shots...but the moon was very bright and directly overhead. I took only a few shots outdoors. I really need a Smooth reflector Fenix T1. I think that would be a decent throw light...I would also like to pick up a CL1H at the b/s/t forum...but will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Here is a picture of the lights....next to the tiny but cool Streamlight Microstream.
2211111413_9ed32b480a.jpg

So first, here are a couple of indoor shots at 11 yards.
Camera is set at f/2.8 1/10 sec of exposure. All lights on Panasonic 123a's.

Tiablo Smooth (newly focused) / Fenix T1Q5 OP
2210987013_a90c1e4681.jpg

Tiablo smooth / D-mini smooth
2210986767_f98e4c0640.jpg

Here are some (bad) outdoor shots at 115 yards. The camera is at full optical zoom (about 150mm) Exposure is at f/4.7 at 2" ISO 64 Target is a big white trail gate. Again, all lights would appear brighter and light the gate up better if there was not so much background light.

Control:
2210987375_7d433d99ca.jpg

Tiablo
2211779870_7cc03601ab.jpg

D-mini
2211780092_5d7c9671aa.jpg

Fenix T1 (op)
2211780312_193d4209e5.jpg

Had my camera had longer exposure times...4-8 seconds, you would see the gate better. The D-mini barely showed the gate in real life. The Fenix, not very much. I do believe that all lights would have illuminated the gate if there was no moon. Only the MA6 was able to break trough the ambient light to illuminate the target decently in the moonlight. But as Zenster said, it is not a totally fair competition. The MA6 is putting out 16,000 lux, vs. 7500-8500 for the Fenix and D-mini Q5. I use these two, because they are my other bright lights.

Phantom, I will do better beamshots once the moon is gone. But for now, I hope these help a little.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks MattK. I hope people do not let the fact that the light does not take an 18650 keep them from buying it. Its not like the 17650's (or whatever # comes after the 17) cost a lot of money...and runtime is similar to the Tiablo A9 on a 18650. This light has great throw with either reflector, is made VERY well and just simply has good balance. It is one of my very favorite 2 cell lights to date.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. I think some people did take that stance regarding the 18650 but it seems rather silly IMO - the 17670's are inexpensive, give great runtime and go into the same chargers as the 18650's. This is too good of a light to ignore simply because it won't accept an 18650.

maxilux

Enlightened
In my opinion the Tiablo MA6, is a very good thrower, for this small size.
Great switch functions and when you dont want this take the other switch.
The holster can be a little bit better quality, but as an give away it is ok.

MrFunk

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
anybody has got some problems using 2 pcs of rcr123 ? I always used 17670 and it works good, now I tested with 2 pcs of 16340 850 mah and they doesn't work good , it switch on and then it switch off.
I tried with 2 pcs of 16340 1000 mah cells and doesn't work good with these .
Anybody can help me ?
I tested the 16340 (850mah) and they are 3,85 mah., the 16340 (1000 mah) are 4,10 mah.
I saw the flashlights works till 8,4v .
Please help me.
Thanks

p.s. what cells do you use with that ? brand ?

litework

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
anybody has got some problems using 2 pcs of rcr123 ? I always used 17670 and it works good, now I tested with 2 pcs of 16340 850 mah and they doesn't work good , it switch on and then it switch off.
I tried with 2 pcs of 16340 1000 mah cells and doesn't work good with these .
Anybody can help me ?
I tested the 16340 (850mah) and they are 3,85 mah., the 16340 (1000 mah) are 4,10 mah.
I saw the flashlights works till 8,4v .
Please help me.
Thanks

p.s. what cells do you use with that ? brand ?

If you're using the 3/5 switch on the MA6, you can't use freshly charged RCR123s. You'll have to drain the power from the batteries a little first.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know... I just ordered 2xAW 17670(?) batts from the Fenix store. From the runtimes I saw on lightreviews.info... It looks like the medium and low levels get much longer. I am not sure what runtimes would be with rcr123a's...but I would imagine less than 45 minutes before the quick trip to black. (the main reason I am not the biggest rcr123a fan)

Thanks Mr.Funk for letting us know of your issue and litework for giving the resolution for those who have had the problem. I really like having the option of the 3/5 switch or a purely tactical forward one.

MrFunk

Newly Enlightened
l Battery types supported are: One 17670 Li-ion battery; Two CR123A or RCR123A batteries. ( Please use forwarding tactical switch when use RCR123A batteries)

That's what I found on the cpf thread (updated today from Tiablo), it's a big problem for me that I bought several flashlights to use with multi stage switch with 16340 cells.
Tiablo on the instructions wrote that supported batteries are : 17670-cr123-rcr123 with NO mention of that problem above.
I'll request a refund or the right batteries that works with that ( I know that some AW rcr123 works)

MrFunk

Newly Enlightened
Why use the tactical switch with the RCR123 ?

Because Tiablo don't specified on the instructions that 5 mode switch will not work with 16340 cells, they only updated the page on cpf but don't explain the problem on the booklet.
So if you have problem with multi function switch contact tiablo.
I contacted them because I have here 10 flashlights that doesn' work with 16340 cells and they say that is not their problem but batteries problem.
I used only Ultrafire and trustfire cells not the cheapest one.
If they have problem with these kind of batteries they have to inform customers. I'm not satisfied of their service.
I'm the only here with that problem ?
Thanks

Latest posts