Review: Optics HQ Cree Q5 Upgrade Heads for Surefire E-Series

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Mike from OpticsHQ recently provided me with two of their new Cree Q5 heads for Surefire E-Series bodies. He provided one of the 140-lumen E1 heads and one of the 220-lumen E2 heads. Both were in natural hard-anodized finish, and neither had strike bezels.

I'm going to review these heads in a number of installments, as I gather information on various aspects of these lights. For the first installment, we'll consider the physical characteristics of the heads.

Outwardly, both heads are identical. They are the same size, shape and finish. In fact, if one had both heads, it might be necessary to put some sort of marking or label on them to be able to tell them apart.

Both heads are finished in natural hard anodizing. Both heads showed some irregularity in the finish, such as chips on hard corners. The finish is also substantially lighter in color than the typical Surefire factory finish. I've seen some variation among Surefire products, but the color of these heads is a bit outside of that normal range of variation. It's not an issue for me, but it may be for someone who is meticulous about matching finishes. It's too early to determine how durable this finish will be in daily use.

Both heads are slightly longer than a third-generation KL1 or KL4 head. They also have a slight flaring to the head, which is no doubt due to the reflector requirements of the Cree Q5 emitter. Here is a comparison of the KL1, Cree Q5, and KL4 heads:

headlengthcomparison.jpg

Of course, these longer heads add slightly to the length of the completed light. Here is a comparison of a stock L4 with a Cree Q5 head on an L4 body:

overalllengthcomparison.jpg

While the Q5 head adds some length, I don't see this extra length as making a difference in the usability of the light. In fact, the added brightness of this light more than makes up for minor increase in length.

Next installment…. Usable batteries….

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Review Continued, Batteries.....

When I first heard about these heads, I was very excited. I wanted an upgrade to my E1L that was brighter and more of a floodlight beam, but that would work with both a primary CR123 and a rechargeable RCR123. Surefire's new KX1 head seemed as if it were designed specifically to prevent use with 3.7v rechargeable cells, so it was definitely not my solution.

Fortunately, the E1 head fits the bill perfectly. OpticsHQ quotes a nominal range of 0.8v to 3.0v, with some variation safely possible. In testing, the E1 head works perfectly well with AW's 17670 and R123A cells, as well as with single primary CR123 cells. The apparent brightness of the beam seems the same with both a CR123 and a R123A. And the beam is on a par with, or maybe slightly brighter than my Fenix L2D and my Wolf Eyes 4-mode P60 drop-in. Not at all bad for the size of the light!

OpticsHQ quotes a nominal range of 3.0v – 8.4v for the E2 head. Despite this, it will not work very well with a primary CR123 cell. It will turn on, but the beam is much dimmer than with other battery options. The good news is that the E2 head will run well on single 17670 and R123A cells, as well as with 2 x CR123 cells. And the beam is noticeably brighter than the E1 head. The E2 head, on a single-cell body with a R123A, is a great little pocket blaster!

I also tested both heads with the McE2S switches I normally use on my E1L and L4. Predictably, the heads work well with the switch, offering both a low and a high setting. Given the added brightness of these heads over what I was using before, I think I need to upgrade the resistors in my McE2S switches, since the low is no longer all that low! In fact, the low setting with the E2 head is approximately the same brightness as my Streamlight Jr. Luxeon! We've come a long way in emitter power since the original Luxeon.

Next installment…. Beamshots….

Last edited:

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Beamshots will have to wait until another day. It's not quite dark out, and I've run out of time for today.

To be continued....

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see the all-important runtime and overall output comparison (not beam shots) to known lights. This tells me how efficient it is and what kind of regulation it has.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Rather than post beamshots, I decided to make runtime tests the next phase. Since I'm working long hours this week, they'll be done one or two per evening, and posted as I complete them.

For the first runtime tests, I tested the two heads in the configuration in which I plan to use them the most: The E1 head with an AW rechargable RCR123 and the E2 head with an AW rechargable 17670.

The E1 head ran at full brightness on the RCR123 for approximately 50 minutes. The beam dimmed progressively for another 6 minutes, then shut down completely at the 56-minute mark. I'm assuming the protection circuit in the cell kicked in. So, approximately 50 minutes regulated, and 56 minutes total.

The E2 head ran at full brightness on the 17670 for approximately 2 hours and 9 minutes. The beam then ran, continually dimming, until I stopped the test at 3 hours and 10 minutes. The beam was very dim at this point, but still bright enough to navigate a darkened room or search for a replacement cell. So a little over 2 hours regulated, and well over 3 hours total.

In general, I was very impressed with these runtimes. The E1 head ran regulated for almost an hour on an RCR123 at a brightness in excess of that of a Fenix L2D in turbo mode. The E2 head ran regulated for over two hours on a 17670 at an even brighter level.

Both beams have significant throw, and can clearly illuminate trees and houses over a block away, with some ambient moonlight. These heads provide a significant upgrade over the original Surefire KL1 head. They also put out much more light than a KL4 head, but do not provide the "floody" beam of the Luxeon V.

So far, I'm finding these heads quite useful.

More runtime tests and observations to follow.

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review, Mike. Looking forward to reading more as it comes out.

Please could you reduce the size of your pics in post #1. The CPF maximum is 800 x 600 pixels, and these are 1024 x 768.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, Mike. Looking forward to reading more as it comes out.

Please could you reduce the size of your pics in post #1. The CPF maximum is 800 x 600 pixels, and these are 1024 x 768.

Done. Images resized. Sorry about that!

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
More Runtime!

I tested the E1 head with a standard disposable Surefire CR123 cell. It ran at full regulated brightness for approximately 91 minutes. After 2.5 hours, it still gave off enough light to navigate a darkened room or search for a new battery.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That E2 head might just be the perfect thing for upgrading my E2e.

Thanks for doing this review. Looking forward to more installments. :popcorn:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom,
The E2e head is SUPER BRIGHT!! If you are looking for an upgade for the E-series, this is a winner in my book.

I too will be posting a reveiw on these heads before the week is up.

Great reveiw so far. These heads are VERY bright! and throw a ton!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Yes. The E2 head will work on an E1 body and a rechargeable 123a. My review has beamshot comparisons of it. It works fine.

I'd link to it, but I'm on my Blackberry and can't do it right now.

-Steve

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I say get a KL4 head for it, the cost will seem like a bargain once you light up half an acre with a huge flood of light. I havebeen EDC'ing my L4 for months now and I never looked back.

-Evan

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I say get a KL4 head for it, the cost will seem like a bargain once you light up half an acre with a huge flood of light. I havebeen EDC'ing my L4 for months now and I never looked back.

-Evan

KL4 = $129.oo

Optics HQ head = $80.oo

Don't get me wrong, I love my L4. But Surefire prices for their heads are a bit too close to the price of the entire light, for my taste.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
KL4 = $129.oo

Optics HQ head = $80.oo

Don't get me wrong, I love my L4. But Surefire prices for their heads are a bit too close to the price of the entire light, for my taste.

I love my KL4's too. If you take:

OpticsHQ Head - $80
Vital Gear 1x123 body - $29
Total before shipping: $109

For under $129, you get yourself a killer flashlight that works well and gives better throw than any of my TW4 buildups.

-Steve

RGB_LED

Enlightened
bonvivantmike, thanks for the review... I too have been looking for a replacement for the KL1 head currently on my E1 / E2 bodies. :twothumbs

Yes. The E2 head will work on an E1 body and a rechargeable 123a. My review has beamshot comparisons of it. It works fine...
-Steve
Thanks Steve, that is great news. I thought about picking up both the E1 and E2 heads but, if the E2 head will work on both bodies, then it sounds like the E2 is the way to go.

redbird

Enlightened
I put my Optics HQ Cree Q5 up against my new Dereelight DBS v2 cree XR-E module and the Optics is noticibly brighter.

The E2 is running on primaries and the Dereelight was tried using different cells with the same results.

Interesting

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, got a couple questions....

1) OpticsHQ E1 head w/ R123 = 50 min
OpticsHQ E1 head w/CR123 = 90 min

Optics HQ E2 head ON E1 BODY w/R123 = ???

2) Is the E2 head on the E1 body with R123 the same brightness as running the E2 head on the E2 body with 2xCR123?

3) How much more noticebly brighter (in real world use) do you notice the E2 head over the E1 head?

4) If you had to buy them again, would you buy both or just one? If one, which one?

Thanks.

Curtis