My Quick Ra Twisty Review

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
"for submission in the Reviews forum".

My Twisty-100 arrived from Battery Station yesterday. Based on what others have said about the "tank-like" build of the Twisty, I had prepared myself for this huge/heavy light. I was pleasantly surprised upon taking the light from it's plastic bag. It's certainly not the smallest/lightest 1 x 123 light out there, but it's not the largest or heaviest either. I was pleased with the looks and apparent build quality. To coin the phase of others, it IS built like a tank. You can feel that quality in your hand. The fact that it a bit longer than some of my other 1 x 123 lights, actually makes it feel better in my hand. I have medium-large hands, so I'm always looking for a comfortable light while holding it. The Twisty is very comfortable to hold.

As others have mentioned, the twisting action is smooth, but not a one-handed operation. That's fine with me for this particular light. I don't want to compromise anything by swapping an o-ring or anything like that. Over time, it will loosen up a bit I'd suspect. If one-handed operation was key to me, I'd stick to clicky lights.

Activation seems consistant right now, but I'm not sure if that will change down the road or not. Others have reported an inconsistent activation spacing. I have not yet experienced that. I do wish there was more space between low and med. This particular unit is almost hair-trigger between low and medium, but then widely spread from medium to high.

The Ra tail-stands nicely on either end, unlike some other lights that will tail-stand, but are somewhat unstable in doing so. On the back-end, It would have really been nice to have a slot milled for a tritium vial, etc. I find myself wanting to push it, like it was a plunger or something similar.

I like the low level of the low setting. With normal daylight, one would think that it was way too dim, but in darkness, it's very useful for those nighttime strolls in the house or for checking on the kids, etc. Medium level is very useful and I know this is the level I'd find myself using the most. High is just that, high. I think I'd like to see more of a difference between the output of medium vs. high, but my opinion of that may change over time. From what I've seen in my testing last night, I think I would have preferred medium to be just a bit lower in output.

With only owning the Ra Twisty for less than 24-hours, I really like the light. So much, that I'm going to order the Twisty-120 version for comparisons to the Twisty-100. The marketing pitch of "The light that gets you home" seems to be dead-on with the Twisty. I can see where this light can more than handle the dings, bangs, drops and kicks that a normal flashlight user would put it through.

Rather than waiting for the inevitable to happen, I'm going to be the one to start the "how does the Ra Twisty compare to the Arc6" discussion right in this post. I'm going to limit the comments to matter-of-fact comments, not on my opinions or what I see as shortcomings in either light. I'll start by stating facts, without classifying them as an advantage or disadvantage.

-- Twisty is longer than the Arc6.
-- Twisty is heavier than the Arc6.
-- Twisty is dimmer, wide-open, than the Arc6, by a huge margin.
-- Twisty has a lower low-mode, than the Arc6, by a big margin.
-- Twisty is more stable in the tail-standing capability than the Arc6. On the one pack, the pocket-clip of the Arc6 protrudes past the end of the tube, making for a "not totally stable" stance. With the non-clipped pack, there is less surface area resting on the surface.
-- Twisty does not have a pocket-clip.
-- Twisty is a readily available light.
-- Twisty has confirmed accessories that are activity being manufactured.

I'm currently compiling the data of varous run-time tests that I'll post once I have it completed.

Edit #1: Although not completed, here's a couple run-time charts comparing the Ra with the Arc6 on different settings. The 1st chart is a 3-hour plot and the 2nd is a 15-hour plot. I still have to measure the Ra on Low and the Arc6 on Low. I still need to figure out a way to measure the high-output of the Arc6 on L-6 and L-7. It's puts out so much light, I have to somehow alter my setup.

RA-ARC-a.jpg

RA-ARC-b.jpg

Edit #2: So, I re-tested the Arc6 on L-4, while it was sunk into a glass of chilled water, with an ice-cube. The difference is that instead of stepping down at the 7-minute mark (shown in the graph), it lasted for 30-minutes until stepping down. Once stepped-down, the output was similar to what's shown, for a slightly shorter period of run-time. These results cause more confusion for me, rather than answering any questions.

It the Ra is running that long at a much higher output level compared to the Arc6, does that mean that 1) the Ra heat-sinking is that much more superior or 2) the Ra thermal-management system is not as sensitive or 3) the Arc6 went overboard with its thermal-management settings?

Last edited:

sbebenelli

Enlightened
This particular unit is almost hair-trigger between low and medium, but then widely spread from medium to high.
Mine from first activating low you have to twist it slightly less than 1/2 turn to get medium, then another 1/4 turn for high.

I like this because if you are wanting low it would be hard to accidentally go to medium.

paulr

Flashaholic
You know that you can program the levels to anywhere you want. The procedure is a little bit messy but it's described in one of the Twisty threads. There are more threads about it in the manufacturers' section of CPFMP as you're probably aware.

I wonder if you thought about the version with the red low level, or whether you ever used that feature in the Proton Pro. You probably discussed it in your PPro review but I don't know if I can find it easily and I don't remember it that well.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes, I'm aware of being able to program the light, thanks. As far as the RED low version, I really don't like the use of a RED LED. The only reason I use the RED on the Pro is because it gets lower than what the white can do. On the Twisty, the white goes low enough that it really makes the RED useless for the way I use a light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN,

I am glad that you liked it. I was interested in hearing your thoughts on the light and for me, I agree that in use, the extra lenth is welcome; the light fits nicely in my hand.

It was my suspicion that the Twisty would gain in popularity with time in the hands of people who use their lights more than play with them.

I am looking forward to your review of the differences between the 120 and the 100 lumen models:thumbsup:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that you can program the levels to anywhere you want. The procedure is a little bit messy but it's described in one of the Twisty threads. There are more threads about it in the manufacturers' section of CPFMP as you're probably aware.

where might these descriptions of this programming process be located? have already searched CPF (only one Post found that gives a partial description of the programming process, but doesn't mention how to enter programming mode) and CPFMP (no applicable Posts re: programming). many thanks, pj aka half-watt

fleegs

Enlightened
That is surprising to hear that the Arc6 does not go low low. I really find a low low very useful in an EDC.

TIN- Would you say that the low on the Arc6 is similiar to the lows on Fenix lights? Or is it like the low of the PD?

If the Arc6 and the Twisty are set that hey appear the same in brightness when Twisty is on high, do you hear any noise from either one and does either one get hot?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
As far as the RED low version, I really don't like the use of a RED LED. The only reason I use the RED on the Pro is because it gets lower than what the white can do. On the Twisty, the white goes low enough that it really makes the RED useless for the way I use a light.

I've got a 85 TR, and after fooling around with the RED quite a bit I programmed the low level to a very low white. It's more useful in the majority of situations, I feel. Whenever I really need red light, I can just slip on a Surefire filter.

Very nice review, TIN.

Hans

Hans

Enlightened
If the Arc6 and the Twisty are set that hey appear the same in brightness when Twisty is on high, do you hear any noise from either one and does either one get hot?

I only have the Twisty, and I can't hear any noise on any of the settings. The other two Twistys I've had a chance to look at in the past few weeks were also very quiet.

I seem to recall Henry commented on the noise problem a while back because some of the old HDS were a bit noisy on some settings. Actually, one of my four HDS makes a bit of noise on some settings. It's not *that* bad, but I very much prefer quiet lights myself and find the noise very distracting when I'm out in the woods.

Hans

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

so what are the default levels for say a Tw100? table is confusing.

my max lumens is 100, so i guess i use the top table? the default for the Tw100 is 100 lumens, 17 and 0.3 but only 100 matches in the table (level 22). is the 17 lumens level 17 (which is actually 18 lumens)? is the 0.3 lumens level 5 (which is actually 0.28 lumens)?

thanks for anyones help

tricker

Enlightened
you only look for your max luens on the table....and figures are rounded....and i'm also sorta in the dark about exactly how to do it......bet i'm really good at resetting it:grin2:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
That is surprising to hear that the Arc6 does not go low low. I really find a low low very useful in an EDC.

TIN- Would you say that the low on the Arc6 is similiar to the lows on Fenix lights? Or is it like the low of the PD?

Thanks,

Rob

The Arc6 low is lower than any of the Fenix's I've ever owned. I don't recall how low the PD goes, but I guess it's similar, maybe a bit lower. So far, absolutely no noise on the Twisty, but noticable noice on the Arc6. In all fairness, the Arc6 has the ability to put out much more light than the Twisty.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

link appears to be broken (webpage may NOT exist any longer) or server is too busy for some time now. i'll try the link again later. many thanks for the swift reply with the link.

EDIT:

link *IS* working now. server must have been too busy to respond in a reasonable timeframe. hence, unable to locate server error was in fact timeouts.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
half-watt,

I sent you a PM earlier with the link.

many thanks for all of your efforts.

did NOT rcv. PM, but did read your Post, and eventually after several minutes of "timeouts", managed to load the webpage from the link that you sent. thank you so much.

i'm trying to decide if i should bump up the MEDIUM o.p. level of the Ra-100-TW a bit. i like the 8h claimed burn-time for the 17lm medium o.p. level, but i'm wondering how much burn-time will suffer at 25 (one level up) or 35 lumens (two levels up). also, wondering what the burn-time would be for the 8.8 lumen o.p. level. if anyone know, please Post info or a link and enlighten me.

again, many thanks.

fleegs

Enlightened
TIN- Am I reading the chart right? Are you getting way over the stated runtime for the Twisty? I read over 1.5 hours on high and over 11 hours on med?

Is so this confirms my one reason for buying this light.

Rob

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks TIN. Thats what I like to see. The Ra sure does show some good efficiency. It looks to be twice the output at about the same runtime as the Arc6 on level 3 - or is that just the intensity of the hotspot?

Sometimes there is a certain elegance in something that may not have all the bells and whistles but strives to do the very best at what it does. It looks like the Ra is a tuff light. Thanks again for all your work and keep at it!

Latest posts