My Quick NiteCore D10-EX10 Review

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
"for submission in the Reviews forum".

I received (1) of each from the Fenix-Store earlier in the day. It was pretty wild not seeing a Fenix product when I opened the package. Like I said, I've only had these a couple hours, but I really do seem to like them. They are a bit heavier than I thought they would be, but I wouldn't classify them as too heavy (whatever that would mean).

Fit and finish is great. HA matching between bezel and body is excellent and dead-on. I continue to be amazed that only certain makers have issues attempting to match HA color between components. The implementation of the Smart-PD (physically speaking) is heads-and-tails above what I've experienced with other PD based lights. NiteCore did a great job with this. I actually don't mind using the PD action at all on this light and will probably use it for the primary means of activation. The O-Ring on each of my lights could have used some lube, but that was easily fixable. I think both versions of these lights are fantastic and I'm hoping the electronics prove to be the same. I am completing my 1st round of run-time testing and will post the results once completed. I'm glad to see the low-mode a good bit lower than the NDI. It's still not as low as an LF2X, but it's not far off.

My Wish List:

-- An accessory item pocket-clip.
-- The stainless/aluminum/whatever it is bezel ring should be implemented on the other light.
-- I don't care (as of this writing, but reserve the right to change my mind) for the UI allowing the light to come on at its last-used level. How the hell am I supposed to remember what level the light was on the last time I used it? The good thing is that changing levels is about as easy as you can get.

I've been using the light via the method of keeping the bezel cranked down and treating it like a "push/clicky" light. I will probably continue to use it that way. Overall and after only a few hours of ownership, I like both of these lights. As mentioned in one of the other threads, I'd like to see NiteCore tackle a 1 x AAA version of this light. I think they can do it, even with the Smart-PD design.

Edit #1: Here's the runtime comparision for each of the lights using a new Energizer E2 Lithium (L91). I'm not real pleased with the regulation of the D10. I was hoping for a flatter curve. Both lights, when running constant on HIGH get warm, but the D10 get considerably warmer than the EX10. It's not too hot to hold, but it's pretty damn warm. Another thing to be aware of is that once these lights start to drop out of regulation, they die quickly, leaving you with zero light. I suggest once you notice your coming out of regulation to change the battery. You've got 15-20 minutes to do so or you're in total darkness.

SPD-2.jpg

Edit #2: Here's the runtime with the Duracall alkaline (on HIGH) added.

SPD-3.jpg

Edit #3: I still don't understand what you guys see in these Eneloop cells, but here ya' go. This one was fully charged 30-days ago.

SPD-4.jpg

Edit #4: I've changed up the graph a bit, by removing the Twisty and Arc6, setting the plot to show 2-hours and added the NDI data I had available. This chart also shows the AW14500 protected cell.

SPD-5.jpg

Edit 5: Here's the graph with the inclusion of the AWRCR123 cell.

SPD-6.jpg

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Thanks! for the review. Can't wait for mine to come in ... shipping to Canada takes a bit longer.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my D10 as well and really like it. Thanks for the quick info and looking forward to some runtime graphs and/or comparisons.

I think the UI on the D10 is similar to the Photon lights (and better than the Pro which only comes on at max and must be ramped down). Its kinda like an improved and better photon UI.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting run time info TIN.

Thanks a lot for that. Good to know what to expect when running the lights.

I figured the Fenix L1D will still be the king of efficiency / run time, but the D10 is just too darn cool as a tool and a toy! This is why I carry at least 2 lights, with the E01 as my back up.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Great info. Thanks.

I'd like to see a runtime test of the D10 on an alkaline AA.

I'm curious how its efficiency compares to the P1D.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I received mine today as well and I was wondering if your light (D10) has to be clicked an extra time to get to high mode. For low mode (while on), I click twice. To get to high mode (while on), I have to click three times and then hold. While it is off, that is four clicks and then a press! My thumb hurts just thinking about it.

I like the light, but I am actually disappointed in how it functions. I was hoping I could set it to whatever I level I wanted and it would remember that level. Then I could switch to high and low using the click-click function. Then I would turn it off and back on and it would be back to my preset level. However, it does not do that. It saves whatever level you had last. So it goes back to the high or low mode after the light is turned back on.

On to the shelf with the rest of my "good but not great" flashlights.

Edit: clarified my post

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. The Nitecores have some pretty good efficiency to compare so well with the Ra. The EX10 is just about equal which is very good.

I think what is being shown is that the EX10 on 3 volt lithium primary is running more efficient than the D10 on 1.7 volt lithium primary. The Nitecore circuit requires more energy to boost the lower voltage cell.

I think the D10 will run just as efficient as the EX10 when they are both running the rechargable lithium cells 14500 and RCR123.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Nice. The Nitecores have some pretty good efficiency to compare so well with the Ra. The EX10 is just about equal which is very good.

I think what is being shown is that the EX10 on 3 volt lithium primary is running more efficient than the D10 on 1.7 volt lithium primary. The Nitecore circuit requires more energy to boost the lower voltage cell. (BTW I think you accidently put the incorrect EX10 battery info in your chart).

I think the D10 will run just as efficient as the EX10 when they are both running the rechargable lithium cells 14500 and RCR123.

Thanks. I fixed it. I was in a hurry to get it posted.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured that - and thanks for the super unbelievable fast post of runtimes. I am impressed at how fast you got them up.

I was impressed when I saw the Ra runtime graph and to see the EX10 with equally impressive efficiency is nice.

The 3 volt CR123 primary does have an advantage over the 1.7 volt E2 primary when on max setting and the driver efficiency is a bit better at the higher voltages. I would think at a lower drive level that the difference would not be as pronounced since both cells have similar capacity.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question:
Turn on to max now click it off. From off in clicky mode press 3 times. What happens?

It should go to low directly from off, but I'm wondering if it flashes bright in the process.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Question:
Turn on to max now click it off. From off in clicky mode press 3 times. What happens?

It should go to low directly from off, but I'm wondering if it flashes bright in the process.

It flashes twice, at whatever brightness level you had previously set.

I am still trying to get used to switching to high or low like this. your "click speed" has to be just right. I'm sure I'll master it before too long.

I really like the fact that the switch is virtually silent. I may use my new D10 as a back-up duty light. I only wish the piston drive wasn't so stiff. My thumb is really getting a workout!

-- Frank

ibcj

Enlightened
II only wish the piston drive wasn't so stiff. My thumb is really getting a workout!

-- Frank

Mine were really stiff too. I pulled the piston out, wiped off all the lubricant on and around the piston and they work much better.

Nice runtime charts TIN ! Thanks for the efforts and review.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Can anyone confirm that it is safe to use the 3.7 volt lithium ion rechargeables (protected) in the EX10? I have 3.0 volts running in it now, but I have some 3.7's on the way, should be here this week.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit #1: Here's the runtime comparision for each of the lights using a new Energizer E2 Lithium (L91). I'm not real pleased with the regulation of the D10. I was hoping for a flatter curve.

Huh? It's not any worse than your NDI running on similar battery chemistry. You can only flog a one and a half volt cell so hard. How does the discharge curve look a few notches down from maximum output?

I like my EX10. My only complaint is that double-click to low doesn't force the ramp direction to "increase". I'm finding that I have a tendency to double-click to low often, then try to ramp up from there. Half the time it ramps up, and half the time it just sits there and does nothing... :whistle:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Thanks TIN for the review! Can't wait for my D10 and EX10 to arrive.

Can anyone confirm that it is safe to use the 3.7 volt lithium ion rechargeables (protected) in the EX10? I have 3.0 volts running in it now, but I have some 3.7's on the way, should be here this week.
According to 4seven's initial CPF MP posting... only protected RCR123's should be used...

"Runtimes on RCR123A (protected only)
Max: 130 lumens, 80 minutes
Min: 5 lumens, 60 hours or 2.5 days!"