Review: P60 drop-in: Dereelight 3SD 5A Q2 (1A version) – picture heavy

kurni

Enlightened
The drop-in was ordered just before Dereelight came up with the new 3SD driver. The maximum output was 1A instead of 1.2A.

• Orange Peel reflector
  • Input range: 2.8~4.2V
  • Battery used: 1 AW 17670 (black with silver label)
  • Constant output
  • Three stage output: 100% - 50% - 5%
  • Over-discharge protection
  • Memory function
  • Change level by push switch

The target was roughly 1.5m taken by Canon PowerShot S3 IS 1/320s F2.7 ISO200 daylight.

Close-Dereelight.jpg
Close-SF-P60.jpg

Close-Mag-5cell.jpg
Close-P2D-RB100.jpg

Close-Mag-4cell-LED.jpg
Close-SafeLight.jpg

Close-All.gif

Brightness test method 1 was Canon PowerShot S3 IS video because I was ill equipped. The goal was to detect rapid brightness variations, which were very noticeable from time to time. The variations always disappeared after the battery was charged. The limitation was that the video couldn't capture brightness drop because the camera automatically adjusted the exposure as the light dimmed. The rapid variations however were captured properly because the camera did not respond to brightness variations fast enough.

• Runtime at 100% prior to rapid brightness variations was around 1 hour. The battery was fresh off Pila IBC.

Brightness test method 2 was Canon PowerShot S3 IS intervalometer because I was ill equipped. The shortest interval was 1 minute and the maximum number of shots was 100. Manual exposure was fixed at 1/320s F2.7 ISO200 to avoid excessive overexposure, which would interfere with brightness discrimination. The limitation was that the photos couldn't capture rapid brightness variations.

• Runtime at 100% prior to visible dimming was around 70 minutes. The battery was fresh off Pila IBC. Presumably rapid brightness variations occurred in the past 10 minutes. The brightness drop could easily be identified from the missing overexposed area and decreasing histogram.

SF C2 HA host was hot but comfortable to hold; FM 34 diffuser was installed. The drop-in was a little too small for SF C2 HA; therefore 3 layers of aluminium foil were added around the reflector with AA silver. AA silver was also applied to the pill thread that screwed into the reflector. The pill was not screwed all the way into the reflector to avoid rattle inside C2 head. Without the battery, the rattle was obvious if the pill was screwed all the way into the reflector, even after screwing C2 body all the way into the head.

Unit.jpg

Three-stage output was satisfactory although I was really torn because I often relied on momentary activation. Sometimes unwanted brightness level was accessed, but I couldn't see any other way. Another drawback was that possibly LED current remained at 1A at lower levels, hence LED efficiency did not increase. 100% input amperage fresh off the charger was 1.2A. Power consumption was approximately 4.1V * 1.2A = 4.9W, which was around the same consumption as SF P60. 50% was 0.4A and 5% was 0.08A. The target was roughly 2m taken by Canon PowerShot S3 IS 1s F8.0 ISO80 daylight. 1-second exposure averaged PWM flickers at lower levels.

Level-direct-100.jpg
Level-direct-50.jpg
Level-direct-5.jpg

Level-FM34-100.jpg
Level-FM34-50.jpg
Level-FM34-5.jpg

Level-all.gif

PWM at 100% was undetectable if present. 50% PWM was less obvious than 5% when moved quickly. No whine / noise at 100%. 50% whine was less detectable than 5%; note that other people would be less / more sensitive to the whine.

Throw was impressive for Cree with 26-mm reflector. It was tighter than P2D RB100 and SF P60 although a bit ringy. FM34 diffuser was always installed however, and the ring was invisible when throw was needed. The target was roughly 40m taken by Canon PowerShot S3 IS 1.6s F3.5 ISO800 daylight.

Throw-Distance.jpg

Throw-Control.jpg
Throw-Dereelight.jpg

Throw-SF-P60.jpg
Throw-Mag-5cell.jpg

Throw-P2D-RB100.jpg
Throw-Mag-4cell-LED.jpg

Throw-All.gif

Colour reproduction test method was my general observations from day-to-day use. Photos would not justify the findings because it would be impossible to collect all objects that had been observed. Digital camera sensor, white balance, and computer monitors would also temper with colours.

• Orange – red reproduction was better than P2D RB100 (unknown bin), but not as good as SF P60. Note however SF P60 was much warmer than 5A.
  • Blue – green reproduction was comparable with P2D RB100 (unknown bin), but not as good as SF P60.
  • White wall was not perfect because it was a bit pinkish. P2D RB100 seemed too cool, and SF P60 was too warm.

Side notes

• I am annoyed by the rapid brightness variations, but on the positive side, it tells me when to charge the battery.
  • Although I insist on multi-stage output, I have not encountered any situation demanding less than 100% output. I am torn between multi and single stage because I often rely on momentary activation.
  • I somewhat regret buying Dereelight drop-in just before the new 3SD driver was released; other than LED current, differences between the old and new drivers are unknown.
  • I wish I had a Malkoff M60 to compare. Possibly M60 construction and heat sinking are superior to Dereelight drop-in, but M60 might have less throw. Dereelight 3SD 5A Q2 drop-in is preferred because the priorities are throw and neutral tint.
  • I have mixed feelings about FM34; it appears to block significant amount of light. I can't live without the smooth beam however, especially with the optional throw when needed.

Conclusion

• Dereelight 3SD 5A Q2 (1A version) is my favourite LED drop-in because orange-red reproduction is better than other off-the-shelf drop-ins. Brightness is reasonable with impressive throw for 26-mm Cree reflector.
  • Unfortunately blue – green reproduction is less than satisfactory, with a touch of pink for white-wall hunting. The physical dimension is too small for my SF C2 HA requiring additional aluminium foils and some pill-reflector loosening.
  • I half-heartedly choose Dereelight 3SD 5A Q2 (1A version) over SF P60 because of LED / circuit durability; note that I cannot test the durability claim. I prefer one 17670 over 2 primaries or LiIon, flat regulation, and reasonable colour temperature. I am torn because I love SF P60 colour reproduction.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: