titanium care and cleaning

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be good to have a thread on the care and cleaning of titanium lights for newbies. Lot's of you are old pro's at taking care of titanium lights and knives and such so please chime in with your tips.

Titanium is a hard metal but not so hard that it can't be scratched by just about any other metal. If you want your light to stay relatively new looking don't ever put it in a pocket with any other object especially a hard plastic or metal object. Unlike hard anodized aluminum it will scratch easily.

A simple and effective way to clean a titanium light is to use a wet paper towel with a little dish soap like Dawn. Wipe it softly with the grain of the machining marks. Dry it with a soft cotton cloth like a T-shirt.

If you are going to use a holster make sure it is fixed to your belt in a way that it can not come off. If there is a way Murphy will find it. Tether the light to your belt if need be.

Cheers
Dave

X_Marine

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Data
Oh please post some pictures of that! ;)
I saw a commercial truck on the freeway a while back and noticed a name and "Dry Ice Blasting". I thought for a sec and then thought how cool.
No cleanup other than whatever was blasted off as the dry ice just turns back into carbon dioxide and is gone. Just too cool..:tinfoil:

Yes pics would be nice..

Thanks
X/BillyD..
icon14.gif

Edwood

Enlightened
Don't use a wet formed leather or kydex type holster if you don't want any scuffs or superficial scratches of any kind. They can and will happen.

In fact, titanium practically scratches if you even breath on it.

If you are really that worried about scratching it at all and just want to lock it up and never use it, don't even bother buying one. Unless you are thinking of buying it and flipping it for a profit in the future. You might as well just download all the nice high res pics people have posted here and admire. It's about the same experience as locking one up and never using it. Just handling it carefully is a risk, one little slip of the fingers and it won't be mint anymore.

Seriously. The 007 was meant to be used. And one thing I love about titanium is that it is such a "clean" metal. It doesn't tarnish, pick up stains, or odors like other metals do. The inert nature of titanium is one of the reasons I love titanium.

-Ed

easilyled

Flashaholic
The nice thing about Ti IMO is that even when there are surface scuffs, they are very easy to remove for most Ti lights
by using a fine sponge sanding pad.

I use 180 first followed by 240, which is the finest I can find (in B&Q).
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/scene7.jsp?skuId=9674160

Once the scuffs have been removed by gently rubbing the spongepad along the grain of the finish,
I lightly buff the light with polishing cream.

(I use one called Autosol finishing cream which is meant for cars, but works well with most metals including Ti and Al.)

I'm not recommending this for all Ti lights, it depends on the machining finish.

In the case of the Spy007, I wouldn't use it as the machining finish is done in such an attractive and intricate way,
I wouldn't want to alter it.

In other lights with a plain finish, its impossible to tell that anything has been used, and the light is restored back to looking like mint.

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clean my Ti lights, I simply use a sponge, warm water and dish detergent. Basically I'm cleaning it as if it was a dish :ironic:

With the spy I just keep the light so that the tailcap button remains towards the ground. AFAIK this is the only part of the SPY that is not waterproof so I don't want to take any risk. Then I rince and dry it with a soft towel.

The dish detergent works very well and leaved the finish neat and shiny. :twothumbs

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WTH?!?!?

How do you happen to have a dry ice blaster on hand? :ohgeez:

You've never been in the dude's workshop! :crackup: Although these claims of a dry ice blaster still remain to be proven. :devil: TB might keep it in the bathroom to clean his teeth. :D