E01 Waterproof?

rockz4532

Enlightened
i got my E01 today, and i noticed it has no lens! the bezel has a small opening around the LED. Is this waterproof, if so to how many feet?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you getting your 100ft from, Marduke? Its late and I'm tired, but I seem to remember Fenix rating it as "waterproof to IPX8 standards." I don't believe thats terribly descriptive (at least, going on memory again, from the last time this type of question came up about fenix)

Haz

Enlightened
I've dunked mine underwater many times, and still working fine. The small size, means less air inside the unit, so there is lesser impact from water pressure.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Where are you getting your 100ft from, Marduke? Its late and I'm tired, but I seem to remember Fenix rating it as "waterproof to IPX8 standards." I don't believe thats terribly descriptive (at least, going on memory again, from the last time this type of question came up about fenix)

It has the same basic seal construction of the Fenix E0 and Arc AAA, both waterproof to 100+ ft. And the E01 is more robustly made and durable than either, so....

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I have frozen mine (with alkalines) in a block of ice and it still kept running.

rockz4532

Enlightened
ok. would the chlorine in pool water affect the light in any way? Because i have a X5 that i use in the pool all the time, then i accidentally dropped it (3ft) and when i picked it up. it was flickering. so i turned it off, and saw a small blue light from the end, and i thought maybe water had gone in the light. I cleaned it off, disassembled it, put it back together after 2 hours, and still that dim blue glow. since then i havent used any of my lights in water.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The condition of the o-ring(s) plays a big part in water resistance. Although they're cheap and replaceable parts, I like to keep mine lubed and in good shape for this reason.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has the same basic seal construction of the Fenix E0 and Arc AAA, both waterproof to 100+ ft. And the E01 is more robustly made and durable than either, so....

I've had many AAA Arc's and like my E01's but where did you get that information? I recall Arc AAA's being photographed in a dive but am not aware of any information or tests on the E01.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've had many AAA Arc's and like my E01's but where did you get that information? I recall Arc AAA's being photographed in a dive but am not aware of any information or tests on the E01.

Everything about it's construction is more robust and durable. Anodized non-conductive vs non-anodized conductive threads, spring vs battery crusher design, thicker side walls, deeper reflector to protect the LED from damage, and an O-ring that is always engaged when in the off position unlike some examples I have seen from Arc.

Half exposed o-rings tend to not be as water resistant or durable over time.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
In the interest of (mad) science, this is what I currently have on my desk:

P1040538.jpg

The E01 has been sitting in the glass of water for about half an hour now and it is still going... :D

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything about it's construction is more robust and durable. Anodized non-conductive vs non-anodized conductive threads, spring vs battery crusher design, thicker side walls, deeper reflector to protect the LED from damage, and an O-ring that is always engaged when in the off position unlike some examples I have seen from Arc.

Half exposed o-rings tend to not be as water resistant or durable over time.

So it's more personal opinion rather than testing. I see. Thank you for your response. :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
So it's more personal opinion rather than testing. I see. Thank you for your response. :)

Well, those are not really personal opinions, as those design elements are factually more durable by design.

Also, the 5 story drop test favors the E01, as the Arc would not turn on after.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Well, those are not really personal opinions, as those design elements are factually more durable by design.

Also, the 5 story drop test favors the E01, as the Arc would not turn on after.

I remember that test. I think the issue was a crushed battery in the Arc. But could be wrong.