Ra Clicky Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
All,

This thread is to discuss the technical aspects of the Ra Clicky. That includes such topics as the user interface, beam pattern, differences between models, runtime, features, survivability and such. Please stay on topic.

Henry.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
m16a said:
Don't feel too bad that. My 140C has a GREAT tint, but the runtime department is somewhat lacking. It runs for 65 minutes on a Duracell primary, and 53 minutes on an AWs RCR123A 750 mAh cell. I guess slightly less runtime is the price to pay for great tints. At the very least, those lower than the average runtimes are at the higher settings. My consolation for those facts are that we don't usually run the light at such a high output, meaning on the lower levels, it will still run well. Perhaps one day in a perfect world, beautiful tint and long runtimes will coexist peacefully, but for now, it's a trade off, like so many other things in life! :laughing:

That's interesting. When I went to visit Henry and show him my purple beam, his personal 170Cn had the same purple tint. He mentioned that he chose the emitter for his, not by comparing output or tint, but he chose the one that drew the least current from the battery. I wonder if there is a direct correlation between efficiency and tint. Perhaps those of us with purple beams have longer runtimes than those with nice even white beams. I haven't done a runtime test with mine yet, I guess I should get on that.

eljuez

Newly Enlightened
Out of interest, has anybody calculated how long you can run the light on burst, with continuous 10 second uses, before a primary would be unable to power the burst feature?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of interest, has anybody calculated how long you can run the light on burst, with continuous 10 second uses, before a primary would be unable to power the burst feature?

Sounds like you are volunteering. Hope you have a strong thumb and a long attention span. :)

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is a direct correlation between efficiency and tint. Perhaps those of us with purple beams have longer runtimes than those with nice even white beams. I haven't done a runtime test with mine yet, I guess I should get on that.

Sure there is... It's a known fact.
The "colder" the emitter, the more efficient it is, as less light gets lost through the phosphor layer.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure there is... It's a known fact.
The "colder" the emitter, the more efficient it is, as less light gets lost through the phosphor layer.

Well, right, but does that really mean we can draw the conclusion that if you have a purple beam 140Cn you also have great run time?

I guess maybe it does as Henry calibrates the lights.

Hmm, anyone want to trade a really efficient 140Cn for a white one? :laughing:

Haz

Enlightened
I wonder if it's possible to add some type of tint or filter cover on the 140cn and produce a similar beam to the 100ww-cn. Even if you lose ~40 lumens from the filter to get the same effect, it would still be good.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Well, my long-awaited 140-c arrived today. Serial number 5952. After a little use, I had already fallen in love with it.

Then, I went to do a reset, so I could enable customization, and now my light will not turn on. I took the battery out for a couple of minutes and put it back in - nothing. I tried fully charged primary and rcr123's - nothing. It won't light at all. Man does this suck. Can anyone suggest what I might try? I'm not happy right now. $191 with shipping and the light doesn't work.

No light at all is coming out the front. Any help would be appreciated.

luxlover

Banned
enzo morocioli said:
I updated the runtimes for everyone, and added the runtimes of my 100WWCN..

75 minutes on primary CR123, and 48 minutes on a AW RCR123 at level 22 which is said to be 70lm. Wish RCR was a bit higher, but oh well. Trade off.

My RCR is aged a bit, 6 months or so, and seeing very regular usage. This emitter enjoys burning our lithium I suppose, while it emits hues of light that make our optical nerves feel the sensations of comfort.

Outdoors, this thing is a beauty. Let me show you a picture.

wwcnvscn.jpg

This is the 100WW-CN at 70lm and 85-TR at 85lm.
Enzo,
I copied your excellent/informative shots from Part 7 Page 9, to here. They should be shared by everybody.

My brain is not in need of a light with a high color rendition advantage, but I can surely see the advantage when one wants proper color identification. I have always liked lights that are a little cool, even though they put an edge on a target. When comparing warm and cool lights, my brain informs me the outline of a target more quickly with a cool light than with a warm one. I guess that I would rather see what is ahead of me, than see what are it's true colors. If I am looking at a tree with leaves and branches, I know from my vast life experience that the tree is a shade of brown and the leaves are a shade of green. In addition, I wouldn't want to give up light output and/or runtime for proper color rendition.

I love my 140C, despite it's inability to provide me with the highly sought after feature your 100WW-Cn provides. Since you stated here "
It's... the flashlight I've been waiting for my whole life", enjoy it for me too! :thumbsup:

Jeff

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
enzo morocioli said:
Outdoors, this thing is a beauty. Let me show you a picture.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::party: Beautiful!

Thanks for the pic, it's getting much easier to not buy any more lights with higher color temperatures, I wonder what the CRI would be for that.

:popcorn:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my long-awaited 140-c arrived today. Serial number 5952. After a little use, I had already fallen in love with it.

Then, I went to do a reset, so I could enable customization, and now my light will not turn on. I took the battery out for a couple of minutes and put it back in - nothing. I tried fully charged primary and rcr123's - nothing. It won't light at all. Man does this suck. Can anyone suggest what I might try? I'm not happy right now. $191 with shipping and the light doesn't work.

No light at all is coming out the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the springy wire that runs from the tailcap and through the battery tube is making contact with the contact ring in the head. Inspect to make sure it's not bent or jammed or covered in goo.

Also, I'm guessing you already tried this, but ensure battery tube is screwed in all the way.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Make sure the springy wire that runs from the tailcap and through the battery tube is making contact with the contact ring in the head. Inspect to make sure it's not bent or jammed or covered in goo.

Also, I'm guessing you already tried this, but ensure battery tube is screwed in all the way.

I checked that springy wire. It looks like it did when I first unscrewed the cap. Should have no problem making contact with the contact ring in the head.All contact surfaces are sparkly clean, no lube or anything. Made sure tube was screwed all the way in. Still no light.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Here are some more beamshots that are more exposed than the previous ones I took here, the camera took the same exposure for each shot. The lights were on burst for all photos.

Also, I added a white dot where the central ray was aimed, this will aid in rendering the differences in the corona/spill.

Enjoy. :)

Rashootout011.jpg

Rashootout012.jpg

Rashootout009.jpg

Rashootout010.jpg

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
After following this from the beginning, I took the plunge today and ordered a 140CGT ! Russ at Unique Titanium had one in stock and he's shipping it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be playing with it by Friday :grin2:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked that springy wire. It looks like it did when I first unscrewed the cap. Should have no problem making contact with the contact ring in the head.All contact surfaces are sparkly clean, no lube or anything. Made sure tube was screwed all the way in. Still no light.

Huh. Well, maybe it's a defective tail-cap. Strange that it worked fine until you replaced the battery.

Alright, dumb question, but just to be sure, you did insert the battery with the positive terminal pointing toward the head, right? (i.e. nipple up)

Haz

Enlightened
This is my experience, I went spotting wildlife in the treetops in a bird sanctuary at night time a little while ago. I was using a cool white led flashlight producing more than 80 lumens and the guide was using an incan flashlight producing no more than 20 lumens.

I heard some strange sounds in the treetop and shone my light up into the direction hoping to see what it is. I was able to light up a large part of the tree light up and it didn't take long for me to pinpoint the location of the thing in the tree. I could clearly see the eyes reflecting light from the beam of the flashlight. However apart from that i could not tell what it was. Everything looked almost the same colour and the animal appeared to be camouflaged in the foliage of leaves. I just couldn't see anything beside 2 bright reflecting dots, which are the eyes of the animal.

The guide with his 'weak' incan then shone his light up in the same direction as my light and i decided to turned mine off. Straight away i could identify what the creature was, i was speechless, i was amazed that this light which produces approximately a fraction of the lumen of my led light able to see things that i couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.