Charging 26500 with the Pila IBC

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
With the new 26500's out here is how to charge them with your pila IBC

Parts needed
2 C size battery holders (99c ea at radio Shack)

4 small alligator clips ($2 for a 10 pack)

2 Screws (I forget if it was a 5-40 or a 6-32 that fit)
I just took my IBC into the ACE store near me and found 2 stainless screws that fit the threads. Would have rather used brass, but they did not have them in the proper size.

All you need to do is attach the alligator clips to the pre wired C holder. I didn't even bother to solder it, my clips held the wire just fine without going through the trouble.

Then just take your dremel tool with a cut off wheel and trim the sides down where it wraps over the body, so you can remove and insert the cells easier. I left some of that part, just trimming what wraps over the top.

Remove the spacers from the charger. Install your 2 screws in their place. Attach the alligator clips to the proper - + side. Your done! Took about oh 5 mins of work.

It shut off just fine at 4.18 volts with this setup.

3494541821_192da1fb03_o.jpg

Nite

Enlightened
and how are the wires connected to the dowels?

Why not just use alligator clips?

Does the charger need something like dowels installed in it to function?

The first pic, can you blow it up from side?..love the second pic.

thanks for some ideas..now to order AW cells and goto radio shack

kramer5150

Flashaholic
and how are the wires connected to the dowels?

Why not just use alligator clips?

Does the charger need something like dowels installed in it to function?

The first pic, can you blow it up from side?..love the second pic.

thanks for some ideas..now to order AW cells and goto radio shack
;)
Aligator clips would work. But I always tend to knock them off, and with 2 cells so close together I am asking for trouble...:poof:. So I just permanently solder the wire onto the brass.

Wood dowels are used to contact the brass stock to the charger terminals and complete the circuit. Any non-conducting material would work. My first choice would be Delrin (acetal) stock in ~18mm diameter. But OSH has poplar bar stock in 19mm diameter. For obvious reasons your choice of material should not be electrically conductive.

First pic is the prototype, where I used brass screws screwed into the wood and solder the wires onto the screw heads. its kind of sloppy looking but it does work. Second pic is just the work in-progress, but you get the idea how it all goes together.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can fit one AW 26500 cell in my Pila charger if I use one of the Lighthound 123 spacers. I loose the ability to charge two cells at the same time but I did not need any special trays, clips or wires.

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
are there any easily attainable battery holders like these that will fit 18650? what about using the D holders with some pvc around the battery? I play hell charging my 18650 with my turnigy charger.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
are there any easily attainable battery holders like these that will fit 18650? what about using the D holders with some pvc around the battery? I play hell charging my 18650 with my turnigy charger.

Are you trying to fabricate a cradle to charge 18650 cells off an RCR123 charger?

Grey PVC cut to 63mm length will work. It fits perfectly snug around unprotected 18650 cells. I use this kind of tubing in my 2C mag-ROP to host 2x18650. I don't think a protected cell will fit inside though.... I have never tried.

dscn6079.jpg

The other thing you can do is place 1/4" foam on the bottom of the D tray to center the 18650.

dscn6080.jpg

dscn6081v.jpg

dscn6082k.jpg

I use this to charge 18650 cells with a hobby charger. I just got the charger though so this setup has not really been put through its paces.

dscn6077.jpg

Nite

Enlightened
I just bought two of the C size holders from Radio shack..they come with very thin wires connected already.

Then I saw some Insulated alligator ended "test leads"also very thin gauge wire. But they are red and black, two of each color.

I came home and stuck small Hard drive screws into the holes on the pila positive end.
I was going to destroy the insulation on the Pila supplied screw in spacers to clip onto, but Ill do that as a last resort. Ill try to find screws that wont make the holes bigger than what the spacers fit.

I clipped everything together in the right way and charged an AW 18500.

I didnt need any dowels or spacers and I can charge two cells sale time.

No Chargers were harmed during the filming of this post.:crackup:

Im worried the thin wires are too thin, but then again this is only 600mah! they didnt get warm at all.

I do plan on making some dowels with help at home depot today.

I dont own a soldering iron, when I did I was terrible at it.

If I make the dowels pictured above, I can use A WF 139 and Pila to charge C and D IMR cells.

Nite

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind getting some of those myself plus some 2600 mAh LG 18650s, but I won't be able to get them direct from batteryspace due to shipping.

Why arent you buying all of these from AW?

I dont see AW having D cells yet tho...:confused:

More of the same kind of idea........

both, C and D size cells.

Thank you kramer youve beena big help, Also thanks cernobila, great dowel pics..:thumbsup:

Im gonna upload pics of my "thin wire" setup.:eek:
lovecpf