IMR MagIII Experiment - 19.7v 200w

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
I was so intrigued by AWs IMR 26500s and so many new bulb possibilities. I decided to try a Mag 4D platform running Five 26500s at roughly 21v off the charger.

High output bulb options in this range were more limited than I expected. I really liked the 64458. It has a beautiful hot spot and pushes very hard at ~21v. But what else is out there? Anything exotic to experiment with?

Welcome: GE HI-111 19.7v 200w

This bulb is presumably used for swimming pool light boxes. Interesting...
Lets check it out.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Installing into the Mag with the MR16 reflector yields huge output and gets HOT, but the beam has a big hole in the center.
So I guess I have to get that bulb out of there.

Cool filament configuration.
4.jpg

Filament CLOSE-UP
3.jpg

Painstakingly removed from reflector potting compound and installed in Mag.
5.jpg

What can I say, it works pretty well.... ITS BRIGHT!!!!

The beam pattern leans a lot more towards flood. (I will add some beamshots later.)

Is it somehow better than an overdriven 64458?
I tend to believe this is throwing more energy out there. I can tell a difference in the heat alone. When it comes to the beam its hard to compare. They are both so overwhelmingly bright. Until I take some beam shots for a more objective comparison, I'll just call it a draw. AND a Successful and Fun experiment. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
Re: IMR Mag111 Experiment - 19.7v 200w

I was so intrigued by AWs IMR 26500s and so many new bulb possibilities. I decided to try a Mag 4D platform running Five 26500s at roughly 21v off the charger.

High output bulb options in this range were more limited than I expected. I really liked the 64458. It has a beautiful hot spot and pushes very hard at ~21v. But what else is out there? Anything exotic to experiment with?

Welcome: GE HI-111 19.7v 200w

This bulb is presumably used for swimming pool light boxes. Interesting...
Lets check it out.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Installing into the Mag with the MR16 reflector yields huge output and gets HOT, but the beam has a big hole in the center.

Cool filament configuration.
4.jpg

Filament CLOSE-UP
3.jpg

Painstakingly removed from reflector potting compound and installed in Mag.
5.jpg

What can I say, it works pretty well.... ITS BRIGHT!!!!

The beam pattern leans a lot more towards flood. (I will add some beamshots later.)

Is it somehow better than an overdriven 64458?
I tend to believe this is throwing more energy out there. I can tell a difference in the heat alone. When it comes to the beam its hard to compare. They are both so overwhelmingly bright. Until I take some beam shots for a more objective comparison, I'll just call it a draw. AND a Successful and Fun experiment. :thumbsup:

Most of the PAR lamps have LOOONNNNGGGG bulb lives, You can try lower voltage bulbs for better colour.

Such as

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=74404

4700k CCT claimed :eek:oo:

DM51

Flashaholic

Interesting... I wonder how high you could push the voltage.

Great close-up photos!

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

Interesting... I wonder how high you could push the voltage.

Great close-up photos!

Thanks. I really like the exotic look of this filament.

The bulb is rated at 500 hour lifetime. I bet there is a good chance I can run 6 IMRs at 25v. The slight voltage sag will bring it down to a modest overdrive of maybe 23v, which will be survivable.

Sadly, my HP power supply has a 20v max limit. Otherwise I would give these a LuxLuthor-style destructive test.

All in all, this bulb isn't extremely practical on a 5 cell IMR setup. I can only keep voltage in the 19v range for a couple of minutes at most. But it did ignite a fire in less than 2 seconds. That was fun! :thumbsup:

I didn't yet notice substantial color temp drop below 19v. So far color looked quite good. Next, I'll see how much runtime I can get before things turn yellow.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

High output bulb options in this range were more limited than I expected. I really liked the 64458. It has a beautiful hot spot and pushes very hard at ~21v.

I love mine - the 64458 is very overdriven and would be around 200W - you get great colour (very bright & very white). But of course you wont get 4000 hours at this level of overdrive. My next mod is going to be a 64458 running from 8 x IMR 18650 cells through Alan B's regulated driver in an Elephant II body with a 3" head - I can't wait!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one serious looking filament. No wonder the 458 gives a better hotspot, though. The 458's filament is small by comparison.

Mark,
The regulated 458 on 8 26500s should be awesome. You may have too much run time. If there is such a thing. That light is gonna get HOT real fast. Are you using insulation?

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark,
The regulated 459 on 8 26500s should be awesome. You may have too much run time. If there is such a thing. That light is gonna get HOT real fast. Are you using insulation?

Nothing like cranking out a couple of hundred watts to warm up a torch. Most likely with that much light I will be using it in short bursts though. Of course the Elephant II & 3" head should do OK as a heatsink to some degree - there is quite a bit of Aluminium in there.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
I intend to take some beam shots of this 111 bulb with a smooth FM Gen2 mag reflector before I leave for vacation in a few days. I have solid 15.6v 62633 light to compare it to. However, I don't have any means to make formal output measurements.

I would absolutely love to see how it measures up to other bulbs on Lux's destructive tests.

To be continued....

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure if you could afford to send him a couple of sacrificial samples, LL would be prepared to add them to the CPF data bank.

And I would then add them to the appropriate graphs...

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I'm sure if you could afford to send him a couple of sacrificial samples, LL would be prepared to add them to the CPF data bank.

And I would then add them to the appropriate graphs...

Now there is an offer not everyone gets.. It would be great to see some more info and data on your GE HI-111 bulb find. Very ambitious of you to dig that bulb out of the pot and get it working. Nice going.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeSSuS-GTE said:

...a Successful and Fun experiment

Could you post your procedure, since it worked, for getting the bulb out of the MR16 reflector? What tools to use, what to be careful of, etc.

(I have found a beautiful 50W IRC bulb locally, but it's in a MR16 reflector, so I'm really interested)

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened
Could you post your procedure, since it worked, for getting the bulb out of the MR16 reflector? What tools to use, what to be careful of, etc.

(I have found a beautiful 50W IRC bulb locally, but it's in a MR16 reflector, so I'm really interested)

i didnt know they imported them here, i had to order my bipins from the UK.

awesome pics :twothumbs

R@ndom

Enlightened
i didnt know they imported them here, i had to order my bipins from the UK.

awesome pics :twothumbs

I think they are referring to the Osram ES bulbs found in the PAR's at Coles. From memory M@elstrom told me he found a local source for bare bi pin Osram ES bulbs can't remember the name.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic