• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Joy of Owning McGizmos

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, my – have I become spoiled? I don't want to be a flashlight snob, but it is easy to become spoiled! This hobby tends to consume one if one lets it, and I have let it. I started with an Olight, amazed that you could spend "so much" on 'just' a flashlight. Next came the Surefire 'affliction', and I still think the Surefires are amazing for the price. Quality of construction, great beam quality, feels 'right' in your hand.

Along the way tried out Quarks (great lights), a Fenix, a Jetbeam, a Nitecore, a Novatac and probably some others that I can't remember.

Then, one fateful day I did something that, just a year ago, I would have considered insane – spent over $400 on just a flashlight – a McGizmo Haiku.

Oh, my. What a great tool – perfect beam, feels great in your hand, simple, logical interface. It's one of those things that feels "right" and I've felt no regret in purchasing it.

Uh-oh. Now it was time to try a Milkyspit – and a CREEmator was created for me by Milky – what an amazing 'little' light and it had to be hosted on a McClicky pak.

It became time to sell some 'other' stuff – and I did – to partially fund what happened next –in the past 6 weeks I've added a MirageMan mule hosted on my 1x123 McClicky, and took the 2x123 McClicky that it came with and it is now hosting my CREEmator. Then I just HAD to have a Lunasol 20 – acquired one from a CPF member and it is a great addition…then came a Sundrop XP. Now I'm waiting on a PD-S that I picked up from another member.

Much of the influence came from this great post, and I can't put it any better than js, but I have to say that these lights appeal to the part of me that appreciates craftsmanship, quality and value. Value? At what these lights sell for? Sure! Value is measured by the utility and satisfaction one enjoys from a 'thing' – the satisfaction factor is certainly personal. There are so many terrific lights that cost far less than these, and if they satisfy the owner, then it doesn't matter what the cost…but I've discovered that, for me at least, the satisfaction that I get from owning and using these 'Gizmos' isn't matched by any of my other lights. My Surefire LX2 comes close –my Jetbeam M1X is great, too – but neither quite match the McGizmos.

So forgive the rambling post – and the self-indulgent listing of photos that follows my ramblings, but I know that there are many of you 'out there' who completely understand what I have tried to say here.

This is a great hobby – and the continuing search for the 'perfect' light makes the hobby all the more enjoyable! Happy New Year all you flashaholics!!
Haiku

IMG_2118.JPG

MirageMan Mule on 1x123 McClicky
IMG_2131.JPG

CREEmator on 2x123 McClicky
IMG_2111.JPG

Lunasol 20
IMG_2104.JPG

Sundrop XP
IMG_2197.JPG

And a new addition - a Ti PD-S
IMG_2272.JPG

The Family is all together...
IMG_2274.JPG

CHEERS!!:D

Last edited:

Barbarian

Enlightened
You caught the bug brother. No turning back now. Enjoy those magnificent lights.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY nice - we've pm'd before and have both gone down much of the same path.

Recommendation - if you every have the chance to pick up a 27 LT-S GRAB IT !!

I've had lights out at AOTH modeling for the LS20s and Haikus and now have several out for coating.., but here's some older photos.

500572182_wwxp2-M.jpg

and I know you've seen my 2-pak and creemator head...

619606658_usi4c-M.jpg

and a couple of friends here...

McGizmos rock........ and AOTH holsters make them that much better (need to take some photos of those next spring....

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I try new lights I still go back to my McLux III PD-S mizer. I agree it just feel good in the hand. I am awaiting the return of my Sapphire as Don had to correct a minor problem. As I said in an e-mail to him, not only can I count on his lights but also on the man who builds them.:twothumbs

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am spoiled by McGizmo's. I own quite a few myself. The Haiku is my EDC. It hasn't left my pocket since it's arrival.

The only lights I buy are McGizmo's. (I also do buy the occassional Lummi.) McGizmo's have saved me $$$$, as I don't buy other lights.

Last edited:

Scouse

Newly Enlightened
I am more of a Gun person, joined today, would like to say, buy a single Magazine Pouch from Glock, 9mm or .40cal, run it under hot water in the sink, heat up the pouch, force the Surefire into it, you have a $10.00 or so Flash light holder, that will last for ever, fit on a 1.5" to 1.3/4" belt. The one I have, I have had for 6 years, like new.

Holds very flat against the body, weighs nothing. My 2c worth.

Happy New Year.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully I will soon join the club!

:twothumbs

Dime - when you do - prepare yourself! You'll find yourself contemplating which of your lights to sell in order to fund the next 'Gizmo...' I went nuts - 4 Gizmos and 2 McClicky paks in 2 months -

Another shot of part of the 'family' (the Sundrop was busy lighting the photo....) :eek:

IMG_2250.JPG

Latest posts