65mm battery in PD35 V3.0?

Chronarch

Newly Enlightened
I looked but could not find anything specific. As the title says, I have a bunch of brand new 65mm protected Sanyo 18650 batteries, but unfortunately they are too short for my also new (just arrived) PD35 V3.0.

Is there a way to get past this with something like an extender? I want it to be first of all safe and not too fiddly. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a few Orbtronics (69mm), I know they work because I have some old dead ones.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been already been addressed.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked but could not find anything specific. As the title says, I have a bunch of brand new 65mm protected Sanyo 18650 batteries, but unfortunately they are too short for my also new (just arrived) PD35 V3.0.

Is there a way to get past this with something like an extender? I want it to be first of all safe and not too fiddly. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a few Orbtronics (69mm), I know they work because I have some old dead ones.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been already been addressed.

That's a somewhat unusual problem in my experience, as my cell length issues have always involved cells too long for a given light - never too short. I think most of the 18650s Fenix sells are 69/70mm, but it's hard to imagine they built that light so a 65mm (nominal length) cell won't work. Learn something every day!

Anyway, I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf 'adapter' solution. There are various dubious methods I've seen people recommend for adding length, but none that I consider technically acceptable or which I would employ or recommend myself. None. I would 'bite the bullet' and get some cells for it of a length Fenix recommends /supplies. If you want to consult Fenix, you could post in their CPF forum section, as they're pretty good when it comes to responding to questions posted there.

Edit: spelling correction

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there's something amiss here.

I know of no "protected" 18650s that are only 65mm in length, especially if they have button tops.

I've got a 2012 PD32 and it works fine with naked 18650s, as well as two 16340s.

Chris