Peak LED Matterhorn 1AAA Stainless Steel

paulr

Flashaholic
I got this with the "snow" led and I figure that the electronics are the same as the HA lug-body version I extensively reviewed here a few months ago, so I'll skip any runtime tests, etc. I got this light because I've always thought the stainless steel looks really cool. I really wanted the 1AA 5-led version but that's discontinued due to bogus patent litigation. However, my view of this light is somewhat mixed.

It weighs a ton, but of course I expected that. However, it's definitely longer than it needs to be. There are FIVE metal pieces: the head, the battery tube (open and threaded at both ends), a tailcap that screws in the tail end (yes, you can replace the battery from either end), an insert screwed in that forms the negative battery contact, and a plug that screws into the tailcap for candle mode. Overall, the light is almost 2x as long as an AAA cell. The size difference between this and the Arc-style lug body is definitely noticable. On the other hand, the positive battery contact looks like hard metal (brass? cobalt gold) with an "H" stamped in it, instead of the typical solder blob. Points for that.

As for the styling, I must say I like the absence of knurling. The flats around the head work great for operation and they look good too. There are similar flats around the removable tailcap, which are also attractive. I don't much like the lanyard post, which is just cylinder with a hole in it, though it's nicely done with a countersink around the hole edge.

Perhaps most annoying is the words "PEAK LED SOLUTIONS" laser etched smack on the side of the battery tube, running about a third of the length of the whole light and messing up the lines if you're looking at that side of it. It's not quite as fugly as the white lettering on the side of some of the Arc AAA's (it's just engraved with no white stuff, and the lettering lines are finer) but it's the same idea.

I don't think it makes sense to EDC this thing, because of its weight. But it's too nice a light to languish in an emergency kit. For use around the house where the weight doesn't matter, an AA version makes more sense. I think I can still find a 5-led AA model if I want one but I think I'd rather have a Luxeon version, which is supposedly coming.

Anyway I don't know what I'll do with this. It might make a nice gift, since it's still one of the prettier lights that I have. But that would just stick the problems on another person. I might BST it or send it back. It was kind of an impulse buy; I'd always wanted one of the stainless lights but refrained from ordering because I knew of the practicality issues. I went ahead and got one when the multi-led versions went away, out of concern that the company itself might dry up. However, the light comes a little bit short of reasonable expectations, because of its mechanical complexity (which was not at all clear from the web photos) and because of the ugly lettering. If you sell a product on the basis of its style, don't mess up its style! The designer dresses at the Oscars don't have the manufacturer's name plastered on them and this light shouldn't either.

Anyway, pretty nice light, somewhat practicality challenged. Main change I'd make is eliminate the tail piece and go back to the Arc-style lug body, or a Firefly2-like tail capable of candle mode. Eliminate the lettering or make it circumferential around the tail, which should be enough to avoid the supposed M*g trademark on lettering around the head.