9P satisfaction

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Passing this along for other 9P lovers.

FDK HR-AU - 1.2 Volt, 2700mAh "Size A" NIMH Battery
There are cheaper A cells,
A Size Nimh A Type 17500 1.2V 2500mAh,
which can't be too bad, but FDK rules.

To avoid confusion, here is a very worthy "for instance," 200Lm 0.65A ~4 hours, but there are many less worthy inexpensive 3V dropins that could be considered a starting point for an emitter swap. Also, R30 should provide maybe 15Lm for about 2 hours on these NiMH for weird incan holdouts, but I don't know of any other incan dropin that might fire on 2.4V, and R30 are unreasonably rare.

I'm posting because I am looking for Liion 17500 cells (which will require a head with glass lens to use with my Classic 9P), but I can only find ICR (best example) and a new chem with capacity doesn't really impress, CGR (LiNiCoMnO2) (best example), but at least it isn't LiCo. I see old comments with members longing for IMR17500. Me, too! Me, too. INR has become popular, so if anyone sees an INR17500 anywhere, provide links, please, and thank you.

I'm also getting annoyed that manufacturers think they're doing flashlighters a favor by providing button tops.

Have a nice weekend, CPF!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want to mess with A cells at least get them from reputable manufacturer, not a no name brand, I can not remember a single good experience with no name brand cells, and i tried many. battery space sells SANYO A cells,. especially if you use them in series, you need cells that are very close in specks, ideally matched, but with no name lotto, chances are you will not get such cells.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I'm sorry what is running 200Lm 0.65A ~4 hours?
I'm not sure what you're asking here, about the cells, the dropin, or the host. Two NiMH cells will provide 2.4V nominally, which will drive, among others', the Malkoff 3V (0.8V—3V) M31L dropin to which I linked. The product page lists the specs I described. I was talking about a 9P host only. Does that clear anything up for you?

if you want to mess with A cells at least get them from reputable manufacturer, not a no name brand
FDK Corp. is not a no name brand. They are the finest label of NiMH cells that can be found, for some time now, thus their premium price. For all intents and purposes, FDK cells are Sanyo cells, or rather, FDK manufactures all Sanyo/Panasonic NiMH cells in Japan. The cell you linked to is made at the same Japanese FDK Corp. factory as the FDK cells to which I linked. It is very likely they are the same exact cell. And the cheaper Chinese cells I linked to above are manufactured by or for either or both PKCell or Exell, both technically premium label batteries, thus, again, the high price for them.

Also, NiMH is not Liion. There is no risk of injury with any NiMH. The sole risk is getting cells with exaggerated mAh ratings and/or HSD, but most NiMH available now are LSD with one exception being replacement cells for cordless phone handsets and the like that must tolerate constant charging and overcharge. There was an era when NiMH cells with an untested label were hit or miss, but these days and within the last couple-few years, they're mostly all, at the very least, half-decent.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was referring to the ~4 hours. Didn't understand what you meant by that.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
ok I see. Ya it doesn't really work like that. As the voltage goes down you're pulling more draw. total runtime might be close to 4 hours but at a very low output after 1.7 hour.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
ok I see. Ya it doesn't really work like that. As the voltage goes down you're pulling more draw.
That's really good news, as we can draw infinite current from 0V and solve the energy crisis! :p Generally, LED current is limited so as not to fry the emitter. While the current will increase as voltage drops, obviously this is neither linear nor unlimited. Estimating runtime from cell capacity and a current estimation is extraordinarily common, and it is an estimation, and it is always very generous, which is why I used 2.5Ah instead of 2.7Ah.

Thank you, thermal guy, for the lesson, but I did not intend to suggest there would be 200Lm of output for 4 hours, only that 200Lm was the brightness rating, and that the runtime will be about 4 hours, which is pretty much how I have always seen runtime stated, re: Maglite, Zebralight, et al. Every flashlight I am aware of, even regulated flashlights, will drop in brightness as cell capacity is depleted. But, again, thank you for taking the time to let me know how it doesn't work, much appreciated.