Anduril 2.0 upgrade

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`v got an Astrolux EC01 on it`s way and it has the Anduril UI firmware on there, but I`v read there`s an upgraded version of it here: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~toyke.../spaghetti-monster/anduril/anduril-manual.txt

apparently it gets rid of the annoying "Muggle Mode" as well.
what I`d like to know is how do you upgrade this? is it done via the USB charging port?
Do you have to strip down your light to access the ATiny 85 and solder on to the ICSP pins?

has anyone here done this yet? or have any links to instructions?

Thanks! xx

parametrek

Enlightened
You do need to tear down the light and get to the Attiny to reflash it. However most people use an 8-SOIC clip instead of soldering. There are lots of cheap clips but save yourself the headache and get a Pomona clip. Very reliable hardware.

Some lights make it easier and have exposed pads on the back of the driver. The EC01 isn't like that. Looking at the head I am not sure how you get the driver out. Maybe after removing the bezel and the switch retaining ring it will be more obvious.

Toykeeper has said that they used the SP36 code on that light and that might not have been the most suitable choice. She's also feels the Anduril 2 code isn't ready for general use yet. But maybe soon? If you haven't worked with AVRs before it would be a good idea to get the various parts and learn how the process works. If you are familiar with C you also have the option of removing any features you don't like from Anduril 1.

As for more general directions the README file gives some general pointers and links to several more detailed guides.

nightshade

Enlightened
I have reflashed many lights with a SOIC8 setup via USB. While this process initially may seem daunting, it's achievable by even the most uninitiated . It's refreshing to make your own UI protocol. Do contact" ToyKeeper " if you are interested, she may take a bit to respond, but she is a genius level resource for these activities. A video that covers a sample setup:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Thanks each, I`m quite familiar with programming for both AVR Atmel and Microchips PIC and have the hardware and toolchain for both, my big worry now is taking a brand new flashlight apart! LOL

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently it gets rid of the annoying "Muggle Mode" as well.

I think there is a misunderstanding, and I can see why

here are some of Toykeepers posts on the subject:

"Replace "muggle mode" with something better... It would be enabled by default"

"Remove "muggle mode" entirely. It won't be a separate mode any more. It would work instead like an overlay which blocks access to extra features and limits the brightness range."

so my interpretation is that the name muggle mode is being deleted, but the functions remain, and will be the factory default

just my opinion, suggest you contact TK for the straight scoop

Latest posts