Are there any single AAA headlamps?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E01 plus Jakstrap combo makes for a nice camp headlamp. So UL...

+1 JakStrap+Fenix (pick your flavor of Fenix or other similar small flashlight).

while i still collect HLs & use them fr/time to time, 2+ yrs ago, i made the switch to JakStrap+Fenix and haven't regretted it nor seen the need to move back to HLs (though now, w/Rebel/Cree/SSC being found in some HLs, e.g. '08 BD Spot for one instance, there is a small attractiion to use HLs a bit more).

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halfwatt we understand -- it's just so gauche to wear Mossy Oak and TigerStripes at the same time. However, a plain olivedrab pistol belt does seem to pull them together nicely.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
...If you want a better feel for the H30 and H50, have a look at this set of beam shots. Click "head" down at the bottom to filter for just the headlamps that I was using. Distances of 5, 10, and 14m (~15, 30, and 45 feet) are marked in the reference shot. Mouse over the label on the left to bring up the related picture and histogram (no click needed).

Regards,
Eric
wow that page is awesome. Thanks!!

:goodjob::goodjob:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
+1 JakStrap+Fenix (pick your flavor of Fenix or other similar small flashlight).

while i still collect HLs & use them fr/time to time, 2+ yrs ago, i made the switch to JakStrap+Fenix and haven't regretted it nor seen the need to move back to HLs (though now, w/Rebel/Cree/SSC being found in some HLs, e.g. '08 BD Spot for one instance, there is a small attractiion to use HLs a bit more).

Yea the E01 is very UL so I don't even feel it on my head. I am thinking of adding a LOD to the mix.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Ok here is my AAA headlamp. It is a Jakstrap + E01.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441778425&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489160706&bmUID=1209999683343&emssrclnk=crosssell

NiteIze also makes a headband to hold a small flashlight.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=61

But it is the two positions allowed by the Jakstrap that makes it more practical for a headlamp.

100_9017.jpg

Most of the time I use the lower position as this allows for illumination of the ground right in front of me. This is what I need for camp tasks and works well walking around near camp for wood or night bathroom excursions as I don't need to lower my head to see the ground.

100_9018.jpg

The E01 is secured by stretchable fabric but just to be on the safe side I use a little Kevlar line. Not needed but learned long ago to play it safe. The headband can also stretch and is adjusted by Velcro. Some adjustment a bit off to the side is needed to prevent glare but with just a little bit of practice a good placement can be found that both reduces glare and allow for frontal illumination.

100_9020.jpg

The Jakstrap can use most small single AAA flashlights but works so well with the Fenix E01. The E01 has an LED sunk deep into the bezel. This keeps glare down. The regulated runtime is 10 hours before output reduction using just a single AAA battery. So the system runs a long time and is UL. I can hardly tell it is even there. The light has a good amount of flood. A tight spot light is not all that good for a headlamp but I wouldn't explore any caves using a single AAA flashlight attached to a headband. If anyone is looking for an extremely light and long running headlamp with good illumination for camp tasks this is something to be considered. The Jakstrap is cheap at around 6 bucks and is made in the USA.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of somewhere in Australia where you can buy the Jakstrap, or perhaps a US based store that has reasonable shipping to Aus?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you thought about the Ray-o-Vac 1aa sportsman extreme? The blue is plenty bright enough for most tasks and the 1watt white can reach out when you need it. Price is right too.
JMO

+1 . These are killer little lights for the money. Compact with good brightness and reasonable runtime. The only bummer is that on both of mine, all of a sudden the white led won't turn on anymore when the battery gets too low. Red and blue still work fine, so you won't be stuck in the dark, but it something to remember.

MorePower

Enlightened
+1 . These are killer little lights for the money. Compact with good brightness and reasonable runtime. The only bummer is that on both of mine, all of a sudden the white led won't turn on anymore when the battery gets too low. Red and blue still work fine, so you won't be stuck in the dark, but it something to remember.

In my testing of the Rayovac 1AA headlamp, I found the cell needs to be able to supply ~250mA at a minimum of 0.8V for the red LEDs to start. Once the light is on, it will run the cell down to 0.6V, provided the minimum current as shown in the table below is supplied.

Code:
         Current
Red      ~250mA
Blue     ~170mA
White    ~750mA
Interestingly, the above currents, plus or minus a bit, were drawn regardless of Vin within a range of 0.6V to 1.7V. Note that the lowest draw is from the blue LED, so for extended runtimes that's your best bet.