BIG Maine Rain/Wind storm! Four hundred thousand households were without power!

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
I feel your pain on the loss of water cats. I am on a well also. I have about a half million aaa lights lying around and they were very useful. If only because they were so easy to just keep in a pocket or purse. Aaa battery headlamp is a good choice in my opinion as well.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding, if the 18650 light would accept cr123s- that means you would have a wider voltage range and will loose efficiency. As for putting a dummy cell plus a cr123, that would not be a great idea- if you go to a level that has too much draw- you can damage the cell and or light.

gt390, while an aaa headlamp might be a bit lighter, the size difference is negligible compared to the boosted performance from an aa headlamp.
I agree that the aaa lights are convenient to have on you, I have a couple of aaa lights with eneloops in my power outage kit.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
Hi terjee,

Darn it. I wish the Zebralight 18650 model would also take CR123's as well. That being said, I do indeed own two Flashlights that use 18650's : The KLARUS XT-11 and the KLARUS XT2C. Of course the KLARUS's will also take (2X)CR123's. At any rate, this does not mean I wouldn't consider the 18650 model Zebralight as I plan to purchase more 18650 cells. After the recent Maine Storm (and loose of power for five days and nights) not only am I looking for new Headlamps, but, I'm also researching likes of a 18650 LANTERN such as a FENIX CL-25R (one cell) and/or the FENIX CL-30R (three cell) model. Both models use 18650's. I also own a NITECORE Charger for charging my 18650's (and 14500's use in my FENIX LD-11) which sadly is no longer made. The LD-11 is one of my favorite small one cell lights that (unlike the new model) does NOT have that damn SIDE switch. This much for sure I can say......I use the brightest modes for VERY brief time periods. Loooooong run time on low (or Moonlight mode) is waaaay more important to me.

Longtime runs on moonlight are Zebralight's strongpoint, they have super low modes. I'll add to the other recommendation here on a Zebralight Headlamp. I have the H53c and love it, but i prefer the 18650 lights over the AA version generally because i use them outside quite a bit. I really like the floody H602w, and will probably get the high CRI version of that light coming out 12/15 of this year. If you are interested in indoor use only, then the AA would probably suit you fine since you won't miss the power the 18650 has although the longevity on the lower modes would far surpass the AA version if you can restrain yourself not to use the higher levels.

As for the lantern, i have two Fenix 18650 lanterns, but i find i use a tailstanding flashlight with a diffuser more than i use the lanterns. The Fenix lantern i have has a red lights flashing mode, which i hope to find useful if i get stranded on the side of the road.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I just want to thank everyone for all your suggestions/recommendations. For the time being, I decided to purchase TWO different lighting items which will best fit my needs for the next Power outage (most likely during Maine's upcoming Winter). Being a "budget minded" kind of guy, I decided to purchase the ThruNite TH 20 Headlamp which appears to be well received/reviewed. The TH 20's reasonable price was a big factor for my purchase as well as the fact that it use (1xAA). In addition, the TH 20 can also use as single 14500. I recently purchased a Fenix LD-11 which also uses either (1xAA or 1X14500) so, I thought having a Headlamp of the same cell type made a lot of sense. The SECOND light I purchased is the Fenix CL30R (3X18650) Lantern. While I don't find Lanterns as "Sexy" (if you will) a purchase (as opposed to a Flashlight/Headlamp) I had to be honest with myself as I know a powerful Lantern will be a Godsend when it comes to cooking dinner in the Kitchen during a Blackout. While I originally wanted (some) unit with a RED light, it's not THAT important as long as I can use a low and/or Moon light mode. The CL30R also uses (3X) 18650's which is excellent as I have two other (Klarus) Flashlights using the same cell. Again, I'm trying to keep it (more or less) simple : AAA, AA, 14500, CR123, 18650. I decided to "hold off" on the purchase of a new Radio as I have so many on hand. My only other (very soon to purchase) item is truly THE most important purchase I need to make (albeit not cheap) :

https://www.ntotank.com/emergency-water-tanks

I'm thinking the 250 gallon Barrel is the way to go!

Regards,

SixCats!

TCY

Enlightened
Congrats, solid purchase. I hope these new lights serve you well:thumbsup:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Thanks TCY,

I do indeed think these are pretty solid purchases (of course, it won't be my last) lol.

SixCats!

MX421

Enlightened
Congrats on the purchases.

As for the water tank, you might consider getting a food grade IBC container. You can sometimes find them used. Then a Berkey water filter so that you can purify the water.

Good luck!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I like all the suggestions here. I especially like the Tool AAA and Headlamps.

May I add something?

I'm also especially fond of the Nitecore Tube on a Lanyard as a light to give out in an Emergency, on a Lanyard, of course.

I plan on using the WakaWaka Power to recharge it in the event of an extended power outage.

And yes, being a Flashaholic, I do own other lights.

-LetThereBeLight!