BOUGHT A HEAD LAMP AND NOT HAPPY please help

adamant

Newly Enlightened
i am new to this forum...and new to headlights...picked up (see link)and it eats up batterys. i use it at our cabin at night around the fire ect.... i may return it or get rechargable batterys ....what do you guys think??is there a better choice out there?
thank you,ant
www.cabelas.com...

Enlightened
I had never used a head lamp until I purchased an Inova 24/7 from Meridian Tactical. It's an led so it's great on battery life and very functiional as it has multiple settings for brightness/colors. A led won't seem as bright as your current light, but it should give plenty of light.
Chris

vtunderground

Enlightened
sorry you're not happy with your headlamp.

http://www.pelican.com/headsup_lite/2630_headsup.html

I don't think it's out yet, but this Pelican headlamp is similar to your Streamlight, but with better runtime, thanks to the AA batteries. It may be worth checking out.

Also, I've got the PT Yukon HL, and the runtime is pretty good. The 5mm LEDS are too blue though, and use as much juice as the Luxeon.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Yukon gets some serious demerits for using more power on low (5mm LEDs) than on high (Luxeon). What was PT thinking?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
does your light (Argo) have a black switch or a grey one?

i thought i read somewhere that the early models (black switch) had an inefficient driver. streamlight changed to a more efficient driver, and changed the color of the switch to grey.
i think it made it a bit brighter as well.

Bob

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF adamant! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

I can't get to the link you posted so I am assuming that pendalinbob did and that the headlamp you are talking about is the Streamlight Argo.
If that is the case, you are not the only one who has problems with it. Check this link and visit this one so you'll know what NOT to do when frustration takes you over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

cliff

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago I got a Petzel Zipka and think this is definately the way to go. I use rechargeable AAAs in it and they last 10 - 12 hrs. on the low setting and about 4 or so on high. It has four 5mm LEDS and three brightness settings. Also has a retractable headstrap which is slick. When working out in the garage I just put it on and leave it on all day - usually forget it is there.

Mattman

Enlightened
Another suggestion is a Black Diamond Moonlight - it will definitely not dissapoint you on the battery life front. It's not going to be as bright as a 1W LED, but if it's dark out or if you're doing close-up work, I would recommend it as an inexpensive, light weight alternative. It'll run on rechargeables, but since it's not regulated it will be slightly dimmer than alkalines.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PT Yukon HL gets longer run time off the three leds then the luxeon. I have only seen initial current levels comparisons. Not comparisons after extended use on each setting. So I don't think we have the full picture when peopel say the three leds use the same power or more then the Luxeon. So why is my run time longer on the three leds?

BTW, I am happy with the PT Yukon HL. Better then my Hong Kong 7 led three brightness settings head lamp.

Darkaway

Enlightened
I have an Argo too. It's a good light but runtime is not one of its strong points. I use it strictly around the house. I get about 40 minutes on high from a set of 700Mah NiMh AAA cells.

adamant

Newly Enlightened
thank you all..
bob you are right...the one i have is the gray switch ..i spoke to stream light and the tech guy asked me the same ...i told him that due to the fact that it eats batteries that i switch to rechargable's and he said that stream light does not recomend them...
thanks anthony

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.

i was considering an Argo, but it sounds like even with the new electronics the bttery life is terrible.

they really should have used AA bats.

Bob