Corn Maze After Dark!

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
There are corn mazes in upstate NY too.
Had the opportunity to go to one just this month.
And boy was it a flashlight playground!

I climbed it and shined my D20 around and heard some guy say "holy sh*t, look at how bright that flashlight is". Pretty much made my night. :laughing:

My version of this (SF's with a diffuser) was;
"Damn, I like his flashlight!"
"Yeah, coz ours are just dollar lights"

That made my night as well. :D

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
That is where the GPS was great. Virtual bread crumbs had marked out the maze and determining a clear path out was pretty straightforward.

Excellent! I love the way you put that!

We went to a cornfield/fall farm last night but because she's only 6 1/2, we left before the sun had gone down fully so she could get home and be in bed at a decent hour. :sigh:

Nonetheless, I kept looking at the schedule for the night corn maze with the words 'bring a flashlight' and wondered to myself when I could get out there since I work swings. :sigh::sigh:

Oh well, there's always next year. I love hearing the stories about flashaholics who show up at corn mazes, turn on their lights, and get the resounding, "Ooooh ... aaaah" from the crowd as they realize their flashlights pale in comparison to what's in your hand.

mwaldron

Enlightened
They asked for your light? Did you tell them how much it costs?

No, it didn't really seem worth it. I wished them well and continued out the maze. The maze people really should loan/sell them at the entrance. I was at Lowes the other day and they had 10x 2xAA lights with batteries for $12. The maze people could have easily sold them for $3/each.

I expected there would be more people in the maze, and everyone else keeps talking about crowds!

We were the only two there when we arrived, there was 1 other group that arrived after us and left before, and the group we met on our way out. 2 groups in this huge maze was very nice, but I was expecting more people as well. Perhaps if we had not have choosen the first 'cold' night of the year...

prof

Enlightened
No, it didn't really seem worth it. I wished them well and continued out the maze. The maze people really should loan/sell them at the entrance. I was at Lowes the other day and they had 10x 2xAA lights with batteries for $12. The maze people could have easily sold them for $3/each.

My inlaws rent them. They used to loan them out, but most of the lights just walked off. When you rent them, you get a refund of almost all the price when returning (the price difference generally covers battery usage).

As for the crowds, it varies. Inlaws used to have huge night-time crowds, but their haunted attractions have taken over the maze business. If you're interested, check them out at www.pumpkinhollow.com. Pretty cool stuff, really.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a weakness of using primaries is you avoid testing the light before going out. I always click on and off my flashlights before heading out, sometimes just for fun. But I've never been let down by any of mine, and they mostly are cheapy DX's, and and inova bolt 2 AA.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I went to one in Michigan last weekend. I used my Stylus Pro, and she used an X05. Both worked great and werenot overly bright asto wreck the fun of others. Too bright seems to wash out that edge of darkness which puts the suspense and fun in the thing for most people. Nope I was wrong, she used my AAA Bolt, she had the X05 but did not use it.

LumenMan

Enlightened
It's official ! :party:

Happy Halloween everyone. This is one of the most anticipated nights of the year for "Flashaholics" around the world ! Let us all flaunt our lumens:buddies::rock::):naughty:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread !

In celebration of Corn Maze enthusiasts
throughout the world, i'll offer everyone
an appropriate snack . . . .

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh, and Happy Halloween to all !

:wave:
_

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hit the benson farms maze last night with my brother in law. It was pretty fun, we did one of the two large mazes, 4 miles in length. Then went through the lame haunted portion. While waiting in line for the hanted portion I stopped to think about the value of the lights we were carrying... Frightening..

ZL H50 $50
XL H30 $50
Novatac 120P Custom bezel, lens, and Milky modded. $250
Lumapower MRV with upgrades, $200
Liteflux LF5XT $90
Liteflux LF2 $45
Roughly $695 worth of lighting tools on our persons... The two zebras and the mrv saw the most action. Over all it was a great night and the maze was a lot of fun.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was driving from Sacramento to the San Francisco Bay Area and you know what? The Guiness Book of World Records largest corn maze is 15 miles south of Sacramento! It closes for the season next Saturday. I shall endevour to do the night walk before it closes. Its is 42 acres!

http://www.coolpatchpumpkins.com/corn_maze.html

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow, that looks AWESOME !

:D

Here's a quote from their website:

"We went through at night and that was really freaky. It's like swimming in the ocean at night."

:grin2:
_

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the corn maze tonight with my wife! It was freak'n huge. There was enough moonlight to navigate by if you let your eyes adjust. But that would be no fun now would it?! The maze had 3 raised platforms you had to find. When on top all you could see is a sea of corn. My wife had an Arc AAA DS on a neck lanyard and a L2. I had an Aeon in my pocket, a Arc6 in my jacket, and my hand held was a M6 running a MN15 LA. Now you might think the M6 was overkill but it was perfect for the task at hand. The ground was damp and the corn stalks were a combination of browns and greens that absorbed the light, ie very little glare. The cells were by no means fresh. But it ran strong for an hour and 45 minutes straight! I had 10 extra cells with me. One reload each and a double tap for the Arc6. The L2 maybe long in the tooth but it still is a very useful light. The high beam always impresses. I am blown away with how the M6 performed with the MN15 LA. I was going to leave it at home but I am glad I brought it. We just wandered aimlessly and it was fantastic. We easily had the 4 brightest lights in the maze. I saw a few large Dorcy's and a few incan Mags. Lots of teenagers without lights. Ahhhh to be young again.

It was a totally cool evening!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts