EDC Died. Anything new and exciting thats Comparable?

nbp

Flashaholic
See three posts before yours. Also, the PM system always works if you're worried about posting links.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I took a chance and ordered the FW3TP with a few Samsung 30q's. I think overall it might be dimmer than my MH25, but it's smaller with no rubber switches and everyone seems to love it. Even at 15 seconds on turbo will be long enough I think to do what I need it for. It's the high I'll be missing. Looks like the FW3 is thermally stable at about 300 to 400 lumins, where it's 750 or so on the MH25. I can always sell it if I don't like it. Should have an opinion by Monday.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I got the FW3T today. Beautiful light. Wonderful click to the switch and nice and small. Love the Ui. Very user friendly!. Unfortunately I knew I was taking a chance with the TIR optic, And as expected, it let me down. Up close it has a very nice spill, with great color and brightness. At any distance though it drops off pretty dramatically. For my environment and uses it was pretty useless at anything over 15 feet unless in turbo. And even then was lacking quite abit. Im going to either return the light or put it up for sale. I'll probably end up with another Mh25. Worked well for me. I appreciate everyone help and imput.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Did yours come with the frosted optic? Mine did and it was just alright, I switch to the clear 10507 Carclo optic and throw is much better.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the FW3T today. Beautiful light.
For my environment and uses it was pretty useless at anything over 15 feet unless in turbo.

glad you got to form your own opinion
good feedback on the pros and cons of a triple vs a conventional reflector w single LED

before you give up on the FW3T, check if you are using a narrow clear optic.. thats your best bet at generating some throw, but yes, a triple will not have the throw of a single.. if you just need a small hotspot to throw distance.

I go back and forth
on the one hand, my single LED in a reflector is much more versatile outdoors
on the other hand, my triple behind a narrow clear is great indoors and arms length

Did yours come with the frosted optic? Mine did and it was just alright, I switch to the clear 10507 Carclo optic and throw is much better.

I agree!
I hated the medium frost btw. thats why Im suggesting scott011422 verify he has the throwiest optic, 10507, before giving up on the triple altogether

both is better :)
I like a triple at close range and a reflector at longer range

enjoy your choices
I bet you cant buy just one.. lol

Last edited:

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
Jon_Slider: After reading your post I realized I may have a 10507 from an old Christmas project, and i did!. I will admit that inside, the clear lens made a pretty big difference. Outside, it was noticeable, but still very lacking unless it was in turbo. I took it home over the weekend and even in turbo, the tops of grain augers and bins were not adequately lit.

While this light would make a great EDC for up close, or indoors, I need that distance just as much and don't want to carry two lights. So It will still go back. While not a deciding factor, I also noticed that brightness in turbo was highly dependent on battery charge level. Fully charged at 4.2v was drastically brighter than at 3.8v.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
all good points, and I agree with your comments about when triple is useful, and when it is not
also agree that turbo is a fleeting maximum that is totally voltage dependent

I hope you enjoy your next light, and that it has the reach you need

sending you a PM

Last edited: