Electrolysis?

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I found a little 3 battery Maglight and went to take the end cap off, I have went to putting this thing in a vise to the point of distorting the barrel and putting a two foot Pipe Wrench on the cap and it laughed at me, it didn't budge. I have never seen anything like this. Now it was not a pipe vise, my next move will be to put it into a new Fox 5" Multi Vise with a Pipe Vise I just got, heat it up, shoot it with some PB Blaster and go at it again. It has become a, " It's the principle of the thing."

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run."
Kenny Rogers.

"A man's got to know his limitations."
Clint Eastwood.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a little 3 battery Maglight and went to take the end cap off, I have went to putting this thing in a vise to the point of distorting the barrel and putting a two foot Pipe Wrench on the cap and it laughed at me, it didn't budge. I have never seen anything like this. Now it was not a pipe vise, my next move will be to put it into a new Fox 5" Multi Vise with a Pipe Vise I just got, heat it up, shoot it with some PB Blaster and go at it again. It has become a, " It's the principle of the thing."
I can't help with the disassembly issues, but would suggest that the cause is more likely straight-out chemically-induced corrosion from a battery leak rather than 'electrolysis', although ICBW. I know this doesn't help get the thing apart, but just suggesting a slightly different root cause. I don't know the model of the light or, more important, the type of batteries it uses either. Good luck!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warm - - > cold - - > warm - - > cold.
Hot air gun + water

Lately I got the screws of a broken axle of a coworkers bike unscrewed with that method.