Electrolysis?

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I found a little 3 battery Maglight and went to take the end cap off, I have went to putting this thing in a vise to the point of distorting the barrel and putting a two foot Pipe Wrench on the cap and it laughed at me, it didn't budge. I have never seen anything like this. Now it was not a pipe vise, my next move will be to put it into a new Fox 5" Multi Vise with a Pipe Vise I just got, heat it up, shoot it with some PB Blaster and go at it again. It has become a, " It's the principle of the thing."

"Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run."
Kenny Rogers.

"A man's got to know his limitations."
Clint Eastwood.

I found a little 3 battery Maglight and went to take the end cap off, I have went to putting this thing in a vise to the point of distorting the barrel and putting a two foot Pipe Wrench on the cap and it laughed at me, it didn't budge. I have never seen anything like this. Now it was not a pipe vise, my next move will be to put it into a new Fox 5" Multi Vise with a Pipe Vise I just got, heat it up, shoot it with some PB Blaster and go at it again. It has become a, " It's the principle of the thing."
I can't help with the disassembly issues, but would suggest that the cause is more likely straight-out chemically-induced corrosion from a battery leak rather than 'electrolysis', although ICBW. I know this doesn't help get the thing apart, but just suggesting a slightly different root cause. I don't know the model of the light or, more important, the type of batteries it uses either. Good luck!

Warm - - > cold - - > warm - - > cold.
Hot air gun + water

Lately I got the screws of a broken axle of a coworkers bike unscrewed with that method.