flexed arc4

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Awhile back I tried unsuccessfully I might add to remove the electronic module from an arc4. The intent was to change the emitter to a LuxIII T-bin. Well to make a long story short in spite of much effort I couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. So was born plan B. I elected to install a bbflex. The bbflex for those that don't know is made by Georges80. However if you want one of these boards you have to buy it from MrBulk as he has all the bbflexes that were made. The bbflex is a buck/boost board, differing from the bflex mainly in that the bflex is a buck only board. It is similar to the rest of the flex line in that it has multi-brightnesses selectable through a user interface that uses a single button. Being a buck/boost it makes a great circuit to be used with a single Li-Ion cell for power.

I happen to own one of the few 2 x 123 tubes made for the arc4. So it was the perfect candidate for such a mod. I'm using a single 17670 1600mah Li-ion battery bought from AW.
arc4-flexed.jpg

The arc4 module is truly a challenging item to remove. From what I can gather few have been successfull. In the end the electronics came out of mine in little bitty pieces. I fashioned a tool made from a steel rod. I filed 4 flat sides onto it at one end to fit into a square recess in the bottom of the can. The recess was intented to give clearence for the inductor coil.
arc4-canextractiontool.jpg

Once the can came out a little clean up and this what I had to work with.
arc4-can.jpg

The bbflex board has a switch on it that has to be removed in order to fit into an arc4. In it's place I used the original arc4 switch such as it is. On the bottom side of the switch board there are 6 capacitors (part of the arc4 circuit). I elected to leave them where they were and hooked them up as part of my circuit. They are in parrallel to the battery and the bbflex board input. With the light in the off state the drain on the battery is 34uA. My thinking was that first I didn't need the space and second they might help to relieve some of the pulse strain on the battery. There is a capacitor on the bbflex board that is mounted on top of a chip on the board. To fit into the arc4 can it had to be moved. So with the original switch removed it left space to move this cap to.
bbflex.jpg

The bottom of the head cavity looks like this. You'll notice in the center you can see the blue background of the surface it was sitting on.
arc4-insidehead.jpg

And of course the obligitory beam shot. I guess I should also mention that the emitter used is a Seoul P4. I find the hotspot is not as pronounced as the original. Maybe because the side spill is much brighter.
arc4flexedbeamshot.jpg

cheers,

zwf

HVAC

Newly Enlightened
zwf,
Very cool mod. You still impress me. If your'e looking for more practice let me know.

Sean

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know why I didn't see this before now, but well done Kurtis! I'm happy to see this worked out well for you. Cheers,

Paul

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kurtis, great, great mod !

But I'm missing something...
Did you or did you not use the stock switch ? And if you did,
is it still a "floating battery" design ?

Cheers !

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
bombelman said:
Kurtis, great, great mod !

But I'm missing something...
Did you or did you not use the stock switch ? And if you did,
is it still a "floating battery" design ?

Cheers !

Bombelban, to answer your questions. I am using the stock switch. And yes the battery is floating as in the original arc design. That's why I made some comment like "In it's place I used the original arc4 switch such as it is." I'm not a huge fan of that switch arrangement but couldn't see any way around it. With the added weight of the larger battery the switch is easier to activate with a bump of the whole light. You can also see in the pictures that the protruding rubber button is missing from the tail. I've also employed a variation on CY's tail switch mod. As result I'm able to tail stand in candle mode.

cheers,

zwf

mosport

Enlightened
Very nice mod ZWF :twothumbs

Never seen or held an ARC4 in person, but have always liked the clean lines and design of this clasic light.

Recently managed to pick up a dead unit and intend on mod as a pet project, although my initial goal is to simply return it to working condition - saving the more ambitious stuff for afterwards :)

Thanks for sharing your creative work!

Derek

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
mosport said:
Very nice mod ZWF :twothumbs

Never seen or held an ARC4 in person, but have always liked the clean lines and design of this clasic light.

Recently managed to pick up a dead unit and intend on mod as a pet project, although my initial goal is to simply return it to working condition - saving the more ambitious stuff for afterwards :)

Thanks for sharing your creative work!

Derek

It seems that all of Peters lights have the clean lines admired by many.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the inards out of your recently aquired arc4 intact. A few people have tried. And even fewer have been successful. I was one of the fewer. Thus came this mod as plan B.

cheers,

zwf