Headlight options for my 73 Chevy pickup

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Bosch motorcycle headlamp is very close in performance to the Cibie lamp (which is also certified to the SAE J584 motorcycle standard). It produces a European-type beam distribution with cutoff and upsweep on low beam. Technically neither the Cibies nor the Bosches comply with US regs for car/truck headlamps, so an automaker could not legally install them as original equipment; the Cibies would be legal everywhere else(!) in the world where traffic drives on the right side of the road, while the Bosches would be legal in many countries that use the European headlight technical prescriptions but don't require an actual E-mark. But all of this is kind of off-point for what you're doing here; the US motor vehicle safety standards do not govern vehicles after they are first sold. Vehicles in use and their owners are regulated at the state level in the USA. A few states have adopted the Federal lighting code, but none of them enforces it rigorously, and most states' lighting codes are such an outdated, poorly-written mess that there's not an enforceable provision in 'em. Don't worry about it -- whichever of these options you pick (Night Hawk, Cibie, Bosch), as long as you aim them carefully and properly and use them correctly (no high beams in traffic), and don't mess with funny-color bulbs (Blue, etc.), you will have very safe, very adequate lighting that will not cause your truck to attract attention from cops.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, actually, clocking of the sealed beam within the housing is handled by the locating lugs on the back of the headlamp. It's nothing to do with the aiming bumps.
It's been a while since I've installed a sealed beam headlight... but now I do remember they would only fit one way, now that you mention the bumps on the back.

...as long as you aim them carefully and properly and use them correctly (no high beams in traffic), and don't mess with funny-color bulbs (Blue, etc.), you will have very safe, very adequate lighting that will not cause your truck to attract attention from cops.

I would almost expect that the Xe7 lights could end up resulting in nuisance stops, simply because those things are so outlandish looking that they would attract such attention from the police, despite their conformity to the law. With the amount of aftermarket junk out there, who could blame the police for stopping a vehicle equipped with them?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running ECE sealed-beam conversions on all my vehicles that take sealed beams for many years. Been pulled over MANY times. As far as I can tell, as long as light of approximately the correct color comes out some kind of aperture on the front of the vehicle, no one notices. Not even law enforcement.

Not a big fan of chrome(too gaudy for me), but I'd happily run the XE7's and not give them a second thought.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've been running ECE sealed-beam conversions on all my vehicles that take sealed beams for many years. Been pulled over MANY times. As far as I can tell, as long as light of approximately the correct color comes out some kind of aperture on the front of the vehicle, no one notices. Not even law enforcement.

Ah, you're saying you've been pulled over, but never so the cop could take a closer look at your lights, right?

nilesh

Newly Enlightened
What you thing about this one?
4bb4d222ee70f_108561n.jpg

I just replace my light with this kit.
4x CREE Q5 WC led

Kardolf

Newly Enlightened
As much as I like LED, I would be concerned that the light output isn't there. I'm not an expert at alll, but it seems like the high-end flashlights running the newer LEDs are only pushing ~250 lumens per emitter. So, even with 4 emitters, you could only be pushing ~1000 lumens, which seems significantly less than many of the headlight options available. I suppose you could overdrive the emitters a little harder on a car, with larger heatsinks, but I don't think you would be able to do enough to justify it. So, at that point, I would need 6-8 emitters for low beams, and 10-12 for highbeams (per side). Of course, I could be wrong, since I'm not an expert. Just my understanding of the current technologies. :naughty:

I will probably do some kind of LED driving light, or DRL, since I'm not going to want to burn up my new, nicer headlights any faster than needed. Especially since it's my understanding that there is a tradeoff of long life versus power.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No need to reinvent the wheel unless you really want to. Toss in a turn signal DRL module and be done with it.

Homemade LED car lamps: You're right, the answer is no. See here.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, you're saying you've been pulled over, but never so the cop could take a closer look at your lights, right?

Yes sir, that's what I meant. It has never been my headlights that have gotten me pulled over. On an entirely un-related note ( :whistle: ), the last set of tires on my Mk2 Mr2 turbo lasted almost 4,000 miles. I'm doing much better! :devil:

Kardolf

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't quite ready to do it yet, but the passenger bulb burned out this morning. :shakehead Fortunately, it's not quite dark in the morning anymore when I leave for work.

I pulled the trigger on the Bosch housings, and will get some bulbs when they get here, for now. I'll have to wait to do the wiring upgrade, but I won't be waiting long. :whistle:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Shop carefully for bulbs; there's a lot of junk on the market. Avoid anything that claims to make "whiter" light or has a tinted (blue, purple, etc.) glass, and anything not made by one of the reputable makers (Philips, Narva, Osram, GE...Sylvania if you're very picky). Decent local-buy options are Sylvania Xtravision (not Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra), Philips Xtreme Power or Vision Plus (not CrystalVision or BlueVision), GE Night Hawk or Night Hawk Platinum (not Night Hawk Sport), Narva RangePower+30 or +50. The type of bulb you're after (if buying locally) is 9003.

Kardolf

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much, Scheinwerfermann. Your wealth of information has been very helpful. I'm sure I will be back with more questions once I get my Jeep back on it's feet. :twothumbs

Kardolf

Newly Enlightened
Got my Bosch buckets yesterday, and just found the GE Nighthawk bulbs to fit. Paid WAY too much for the bulbs getting them locally. Won't make that mistake again. I'm gonna buy a spare before these burn out in order to be safe. Can't wait to put them in this evening.