Headphones

JOshooter

Enlightened
Last year I went on a trip to North Carolina for my shooting team and I had trouble sleeping on the plane. I'm going to the same competition this year in Kentucky and I'm thinking ahead, I have my eye on some memory for my mp3 player and would also like to upgrade my headphones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif as well.

I would like something close to noise cancelling but without the price. Right now I'm looking at Koss UR-19 and the Koss UR-40. Any coments or suggestions as to which (or are there any others that I should consider)?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford them, get a pair of Bose noise canceling units. the Original Quiet Comforts are now being closed out so the price
is a bit more reasonable. You'd be amazed at how much electronic noise cancellation does for airline travel.

The Panasonic, Sony, and others in the $70-$100 price class aren't bad, but they aren't in the same league with the BOSE.

The QC1 and QC2 are basically the electronics from the aviation units without the predictive cancelation feature.
(Predictive cancelation works wonders with things like prop noise. 2400rpm with a 3 bladed prop =120Hz, and since the prop speed
cannot change very quickly, the prop noise can be cancelled with higher accuracy (usually about 25db
in fact).

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried almost all of these. The Bose is a great idea, but not quite there yet, the music sound quality is borderline at best. Try Headroom.com for the very best info out there about headphones.

As far as the Koss, I have never been happy with their products, but some really like them.

(I should preface this by saying that I am a research freak who likes to only buy things one time!)

I settled on the Etymotics, but the Shures have a gereat rep for less money.

Bill

NewFlash

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the reconmendation of Headroom.com.
They're the best site on the net for not getting taken by marketing hype on headphones.
Of course you'll end up paying more than you originally planned...but if you're on this board that's probably happened once or twice already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of the Etymotic ER6's, a step down from the top of the line, the work quite well at blocking out noise on planes and elsewhere, and if you want you can add to their noise blocking abilities later by getting custom ear mold/plug ends for them. I see one place has them on sale for ~$100

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be in a vanpool with 14 other people, and the conversation between a couple of people got so bad, and so loud, that several of us started using walkmans etc and headphones, to drown out the grating voices and lewd and gross and uninteresting discussions.

The headphones only muffled the voices, we could still hear them talk!

THEN, one day, I discovered these headphones, and it was like a GIFT FROM GOD!:

THEPLUG_lg.jpg

KOSS THE PLUG headphones

They actually fit and work just like an earplug, they use the same material that earplugs use, and they almost COMPLETELY eliminate outside noise, while at the same time, keeping that annoying "cymbal/hi-hat" sound inside your ear, so that you are not annoying the person next to you.

Highly recommended!

JOshooter

Enlightened
I am now considering those also, and the price is just up my alley! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Koss's work just like the Etymotics and Shures do at blocking out noise, IF, and this is a big IF, they fit your ear. I have a larger than normal ear canal and couldn't make them work for me.

The Etymotics come with several diffeent size/style plugs, and I have been told the Shures do also.

Bill

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Koss Plug, the Sony noise-cancelling, and the Hearos Gold (Etymotic ER6) headphones. I really want to get a pair of the Shure E5c headphones, but they are cost prohibitive at about $380 (MSRP is $499).

For the price, the Koss is a terrific value, with great bass response for contemporary music. For Classical music however, I like the Hearos better--there seems to be a certain clarity to the music that I don't hear with the Koss. The downside of the Hearos is a distinct lack of bass.

To me, the Sony represents a middle ground, with less bass than the Koss, but more than the Hearos. Also, there is more clarity than the Koss, but less than the Hearos. I haven't had an opportunity to really test the noise-cancelling ability of the Sony headphones, but do find that lugging around the extra "equipment" can be cumbersome.

I am still searching for that elusive set of headphones that will provide the best of all worlds. Perhaps the Shure E5c will fill that niche...but unless the price drops significantly, it is going to be a long wait.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Etymotic ER-4P, great bass, great sound!

Incredibly dynamic, low impedance so a regular portable will run them well, spendy, but along with their brother the ER-4S, the best in ear headphones in the world!!

I do plan on hearing the Shure E5c sometime soon to see if it meets the hype, but the other Shures are great phones, I just like the Etys better!

Bill

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Bill. I really love the Etymotic ER-4P's. I unfortunately haven't heard any of the Shure headphones, but I've heard a lot of great things about them.