• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo TerraMule vs Mule High CRI (photos, beamshots and recommendations requested!)

seaofclouds

Newly Enlightened
Greetings! I am new to the forums and have found myself here considering my first McGizmo and High CRI flashlight as a means to level up my portable photography lighting kit and would love some help from those of you lucky folk who have both.

Would someone kindly post comparative beam shots for the TerraMule and Mule High CRI? Ideally both shots would use the Nichia 119v, as that is what Don and I have been discussing.

Also, any photos that compare the 2 lights side by side, and in hand and in pocket would be wonderful. I'd like to get a sense for dimensions.

I am planning on running the lights on rechargables and RCR123 seem fine, but 18650 is a rising star in the battery world- how have your experiences been with both? The form factor of the standard Mule is nice and looks very pocketable- I could probably carry 2 - and I assume in a pinch, a CR123 would be easier to come by if my rechargeable and charger died. Naturally, the capacity wider flood and higher output of the TerraMule with and 18650 is very appealing, but seems much larger.

Some context for my photography and lighting needs:

I'm not super happy with LED panels, as I think they are slightly awkward to hold, and nearly as invasive as a flash. This lead me down the path of using a set of flashlights for lighting, but I am disappointed by the hard shadows, hotspots, and color rendering of everything I have on hand. I would prefer 2 lights, using 1 as a key, and 1 as fill to soften hard shadows. 1 light might be mounted to my camera off center or to a clamp/stand, while the other would likely be handheld. I am considering making a compact soft box for the light I choose to further soften the light, but don't want to lose too much light. My digital photos are generally portraits 3-6' away, both by day and by night. I also am looking forward to incorporating continuous lighting with my pinhole photography which requires much longer exposures and a tripod. Light painting is something I am also looking forward to.

Cheers,
Todd

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy question to answer. Get both.

Actually, I would suggest the TerraMule and the Sundrop XRU with a 123 Pack; both with the 119V LED. The Sundrop focuses the light but spreads it out without a hotspot. The Terra is just a wall of light. Beamshot of a mule is not really much to look at.

eala

ibcj

Enlightened
The TerraMule will give you a much higher output. If any light is going to do this, it will be the TerraMule. The hard shadows are going to require that you use some type of diffuser, as I'm sure that you are aware of the apparent size of the light source in relation to the distance to the subject will determine the harshness/softness of the shadows. As for lightpainting, the TerraRam would be a much better choice. The output angle of the TerraMule is just too wide for effective lightpainting.

Bass

Enlightened
Agree with ibcj. A mule in any form will give you extremely harsh shadows, I would avoid especially for portraiture.

If you were shooting video then a Mule light may be a good substitute for an LED panel but for still photography, flash is your best option. Try using a modifier or bouncing the strobe behind you or to your left or right. This will be less 'intrusive' for your portrait sitter. With strobe, flashguns and Speedlights I'd recommend only shooting in manual.

If you must use a McGizmo then the Aquaram may suit better. Same scenerio: bounce the light off a nearby surface (indirect). Using Aperture priority is suitable with constant light sources if you prefer that to full manual exposure. The Aquaram will be fine for light painting.

It's also worth noting that even a light as bright as Don's new 18650's Aquas will still only put out a tiny percentage of light in comparison to a strobe or Speedlight (Albeit at a continuous rate). For daylight photography it will be a waste of time and even at night the f/stop gain will be negligible unless you use as a direct light. Then you gave the harsh shadows again.

seaofclouds

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the help, and for the warm welcome to the forums!

While this first post of mine was waiting in the moderation queue, and before I received your amazing suggestions, I was overcome by impatience and ordered a Mule 119v, which Don has already shipped. I'm sure you'll all mostly congratulate me, but until I receive my light, I can't stop kicking myself, and thinking about ordering something brighter, etc. :|

I'd still love to see some beam shots and photos of the lights in hand, if you've got them. :)

Bass - As some of my photography is with a pinhole camera, a strobe won't work for what I want to achieve. Quality, portable, continuous light is definitely one of my requisites.

More soon, and thanks again!

Bass

Enlightened
Congratulations on your new light! They say patience is a virture but with McGizmos it's not always possible :D

You're going to love it and for pinhole it is ideal. Please post some shots when it arrives. I'm interested in what photography you do.

Last edited:

seaofclouds

Newly Enlightened
So naturally I am still thinking about this, and am considering my next light.

What is a good complement to the high CRI Mule?

Also, if the terramule and aquamule are bigger, brighter version of the mule, what is the terraram and aquaram equivilent to? Haiku?

@bass - Thanks again for the boost in confidence. @don mentioned another photographer that has had some luck using the mule for fill. I shall see!

Bass

Enlightened
@bass - Thanks again for the boost in confidence. @don mentioned another photographer that has had some luck using the mule for fill. I shall see!

You won't regret getting the Mule, or any of Don's lights. You'll know why Don has such a following when yours arrives.

Be great if you could update this thread with how it goes.