Overhead projector bulb.

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used an Overhead projector bulb, to make a flashlight?

If so how well did it work?
What batts did you use?

Where I work we have to replace these from time to time, and the question just hit me.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
Like a Phillips 5761 projector bulb? It plugs directly into a Mag-charger and is stupidly bright.

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
Okay that's one. Any one else tried? I m just curious if it is possible. I know those type of bulbs are expensive, but I think somebody has to of tried this.
SONFE100-1.jpg
SONCS1-1.jpg

mash.m

Enlightened
Okay that's one. Any one else tried? I m just curious if it is possible. I know those type of bulbs are expensive, but I think somebody has to of tried this.
SONFE100-1.jpg
SONCS1-1.jpg

these bulps on the picture are not from an overhead, these are from a digital projectors like lcd or dlp. you will need a ballast to drive. they need a high voltage to fire up like xenon hid lamps.

markus

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
these bulps on the picture are not from an overhead, these are from a digital projectors like lcd or dlp. you will need a ballast to drive. they need a high voltage to fire up like xenon hid lamps.

markus

They are still overhead projectors.
So are you saying if you have enough power one could make a flashlight with it?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are still overhead projectors.
So are you saying if you have enough power one could make a flashlight with it?

In short, no. You would need a ballast to provide startup voltage. Not to mention the bulb has a housing with a reflector that's unsuitable for flashlight use.