Preon Penlight, acting funny....

floki

Newly Enlightened
So I have an older model preon penlight, the burnt orange colored one. Anyways bought it last year from foursevens clearance section. It worked great and soon became my EDC at work. Then during a hunting trip un north during Nov, it stopped working. It either came on really dim, or would randomly flash untill turned off. Well to say I was unhappy is well true. So it sat rejected in my garage since then, on cold lonely shelf. Fast forward to today , end of Feb. On a whim, while out in the garage putsing around. I picked it up and clicked it on, fully expecting the dim light follwed by the blinking.....instead it came on at full brightness. Then I cycled through the settings, and everythings working just fine. When the problem occured I had been using AAA energizer lithium batteries, when I got home I switched over to regular duracell AAA's. It's been sitting with those same duracell batteries since nov, in a cold michifan garage. I dont think the batteries where the issue, or the cold temps. Anyone have any idea why it went bad, then magically fixed itself. Before I rely on it again as a work light I'd like to figure out how to keep it reliable.

Funny enough sat I ordered a new penlight from thorfire to finally replace it, and of course the old one comes back to life. To be honest I prefer the preon, it matches my scrubs perfectly. Though black matches hunter green as well, it always nice to add a touch of orange to my uniform. Reminds me of hunting season and the woods.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium primaries tend to do very well, and then crash hard, but then should hold a low output for a long time - the Preon Penlight can efficiently vampire a moonlight mode on a single AAA (w/dummy cell) down to ~1V. This light is also very sensitive to the tailcap connection (tightening/oxidation/lube). My samples can show flicker on max, but then a loosen/re-tighten fixes it right away. A good cleaning of threads and contact points, and new batts should resolve your problems.... or just exercise 47s great warranty/CS, if not.

Latest posts