Recommendations for 18650 cells?

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
I have been using Panasonic NCR18650B cells in my flashlights for years and have not had any issues with them. They hold up for many hundreds of charging cycles and are relatively inexpensive, but they are older designs. Recently I bought some INR-18650-P28A's and have been testing them...have not been using them long enough to get a feel for their longevity, but they do seem to hold up well to my higher draw torches.

I was wondering what members are choosing as their power source?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
You're probably going to get a similar list, maybe with a few additions from pretty much anyone that answers. I run a protected battery in any light that has the room for it. My edc light currently has an Eagletac 3100 in it from 3/2012, I'm sure there has been some capacity loss, but not that I've noticed. I rotate through around eighteen 18650 cells of varying ages. There's 4 Eagletac 3100's(all from 3/2012), 2 Eagletac 3400's, 4 Fenix 3500's, and 8 KeepPower 3400 & 3500's. I won't buy Fenix batteries again, they are the only brand so far that I've had issues with, I have had the protection thingamajig fail on four of them. I'm pretty sure that all of those have Sanyo/Panasonic cells under the wrapper. Most of my 18650 lights are fairly tame, running a Malkoff M361, or EDC+ drop-in, neither of those draw more than about 1.5 amps.

For 21700, I've been running the high drain 5000 mAh KeepPower cells, and in lights that won't fit a protection circuit, I've been running Molicel P42A's. I've not had the 21700 stuff very long though, so I can't really attest to their longevity.

Last edited:

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
Been using the Molicel offerings for a bit, about 6 months and so far-so good. They seem to hold up well in my higher draw lights, 2.8A-3.1A (all single cell, C8 type with heavy drivers). These lights tend to draw too much for my older Panasonics from around 2012 or so...I can get maybe 20 minutes at full draw and the driver boards drop to medium with the old NCR's. I can get about 45 minutes at the highest draw from the newer Molicels.

This is actually what prompted me to ask the question. It feels like the right time to retire my older Panasonics to low draw applications and replace them with something. Just looking good options amid the many many "fire" branded mystery stuff making dubious claims to capacity (like 5000mah and 7500mah MakerFire 18650 as an example...yeah, doubt their claims). Seems prudent to stick with the brands that are better known for quality it would seem!

I just check what's popular from the big five on 18650 warehouse and then buy what suits the particular light regarding amps required vs capacity.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.8A-3.1A isn't considered a 'big draw.'

When you get to 6-7A, 9-10A, or even a 15A draw, you're getting up there and need capable cells for those higher current demands.

3.1A is nothing in our hobby.

The NCR18650B is rated up to 5A when new and fresh, so just replace them?

Chris

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
+1 on the NCR18650B button-tops. Have more than a dozen of these and they're great (as you know). Myself, I don't have any high-draw lights anymore, so something that can handle up to 4-5A is just fine. Consistently made, reliable, durable. Hard not to like them.

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
I bought some more of the NCR18650's, so I am good for now. Will get a couple of the Samsung to test them. I have about a dozen of the Panasonic's, but I have not been using them for flashlights though...they have been working in my RC stuff very well.