Simple Dimming USB powered strip light

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm receiving this for Christmas .Vrabocry 5V USB LED Strip 4.9ft 320LEDs/M Green LED Strip Lights 520NM COB LED Strip Lights. Is there an EASY COMPACT way to dim it? Looking at a couple options below. Any suggestions for equipment, or thoughts on better ways? I was hoping for a dongle sized thing, with 5-10 step dimming, or a small rotary switch.

This looks exactly like what I want. Details mention PWM, not my preference but what I expected. Much better detailed specs.

This looks good too. But fans, etc? I don't know how this does the dimming.

I assume an LED strip, can only be dimmed well, by PWM or amperage reduction?

TLDR
I deal with migraines, and vestibular migraine to a lesser extent. They're peer reviewed studies that show 520nm green light [LED lights were used in the study] are effective in reducing severity and frequency. In my off grid living, 40 hours away from home working, I have been looking at The Allay Lamp you can see SCIENCE there. My neurologist is the one that started me down this trail. I have a few off brand~~ 520 nm migraine LED bulbs ~~ that I've been using in 110-120 Edison socket lamps. They make a difference. AC power at home isn't always available, so I'm trying some alternatives 🙂

Again thanks for any help,

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inline USB dimmers should be OK although one of the two has no real specs. I would assume PWM. As long as its at least 200Hz should be OK but not sure if migraines would be affected.

Low-cost RGB USB strips available just about everywhere cheap, 3 ft. and up, typically have IR remote with 8 levels of dimming. It think they are at least 200Hz, but I can still detect a bit of PWM effect as very fine flicker. Their large LEDs are spaced out typically about 8/ft, nowhere near 320 LEDs/m. Also the green wavelength is not obvious, nor controlled, and may change (I noticed in more recent versions of the same product). Regardless, I like green best, or one of the mixed aqua colours, just for relaxing.

Dave

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Thanks Dave! I'm hoping this COB strip will be a nice continuous light. It says 520nm, I'm sure it is correct 🤦‍♂️

My wife ordered it from my Amazon Gift/Wish List. As she was wrapping things, she was wondering what this USB powered strip of plastic was. It was BRIGHT said she. Since it was so bright, she knew I was the person to ask what it was and who for. You know because I'm bright :rolleyes: