Thoughts on this Fenix HL50 problem?

jn2

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix HL50. I like it, and have used it extensively, so much so that I have burned through about 50 CR123A's and a handful of AA's in less than two years. I recently had a problem appear suddenly where my batteries were dying incredibly fast, virtually overnight after just a few hours use. At first I attributed it to a bad batch of batteries, but when the battery life was poor on a second and different battery lot, I decided to do some testing.

I measured a brand new battery at 3.270V, installed it without turning the flashlight on, took it out after one minute, and measured again. Even though the flashlight had not been turned on, the voltage had fallen to 3.265V. I repeated the experiment again with the same results, as it fell to 3.260V. By my math, 3.270 divided by .005 is 654 minutes or 11 hours, which is about how long I can expect my batteries to last when the flashlight is not even being used! For the moment, I have taken to loosening the cap to lock out the battery, but there is definitely something wrong with the headlamp. I do not recall dropping it, and headlamp appears in perfect cosmetic condition.

Anyone ever suffer a problem like this? If so, any thoughts on the matter? It appears Fenix offers a two year guarantee on headlamps bought around the time I bought mine. Perhaps it needs a new switch?

jn2

Newly Enlightened
I agree, and will do so. I just thought I would throw it out there first to see if anyone has had a similar experience or insight into what's wrong.